Cafe Racer Forum banner

Ducati 620 service

840 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  imslow 
#1 ·
So the maintenence light popped up on my 2002 Monster 620.
Its got 8200 or so miles on it.
I know the 6000 mile service includes new timing belts, all filters, valve shims and valve adjustments.
Taking the bike to a ducati dealership to do this will cost me around 700-900 dollars. I love my bike, but i cant afford that much right now.
A pal of mine offered to change the belts for 450 or so- but didnt say anything about the valves or adjusting them. (the belts themselves cost 100bucks or so).

To a seasoned mechanic this type of thing has got to be a synch, but how hard are these things for the average DIY guy to do?

Also when the bike runs theres a subtle "Khsshhhhhhhhhhhh" type friction sound coming from the left side(im assuming its the clutch). But when operating- the clutch grabs just fine and operates like the day i bought it. Any cues to damage there?
Anyone around the LI/NYC area recommend any reasonable shops? Any mechanics in the house?
What are my options/what should I be thinking? Should i keep riding it?
Advice?

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah, ducati belt service is not something you can do yourself easily. The valves are but the the belt tension is set with a machine that does it by sound not by tension. The older belt ducs you could do by tension but pretty much any made after 2000 you need to have the tension set by frequency using an infrared sensor. I have the service manual for my ducati (2006 Sport 1000) and it describes the process pretty well but even if I wanted to do it by tension there are no specs.

Valve adjustment is not hard to do on any bike. I forget if the single spark 620 motor is a bucket and shim or a locking adjuster but if it is shims then you are better off taking it to the dealer because you have to buy a variety of shims.

here is a how to from the web and shims are listed as something need to be bought:
http://www.ducatisuite.com/valves.html

The other thing that might scare you away is that to do the top cylinder you have to pretty much disassemble the top of the bike which means disconnecting the fuel pump and removing the tank.

My final pitch about this is that if you go to buy the extended ducati factory warranty (which I am doing this year) you have to show all services were performed at the dealer. If you cannot you won't be eligible for the extended warranty. Furthermore if your bike is still under warranty they can (and sometimes do) use non-professional service as an excuse to void warranties.

That being said 90% of the service can be accomplished by the home mechanic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.