Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the story i bought a GS450 for like nothing , it had high miles but was complete and didnt run due to a spark plug wire not plugged in haha. So anyway Geeto was selling another 1980 GS450 and Tim Wiisass bought it. We brought them home and worked on them but they were not as awesome as we wanted .. Here is the story of 2 gs450's an on going winter saga.

So first thing we had to do was clean up our work space. Both the bikes are at my house and i have a 3 bay garage ..on the side of it is a small workshop It was full of SHIT, car parts, furniture, tools etc etc like jam packed. We cleaned it up in one night and moved everything to one bay of the garage.

This is what we ended up with.

that is all for now tune in for tear down pics.

----------------------------
http://www.driftalliance.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so we got crazy and ripped the bikes down to nothing.
this is where my bike sits as we mock up the rear sets

We chopped mostly all of the frame rails off and once i get my welder back we will be capping and grinding. to smooth it out.

Got the rearsets lined up they came off of my friends R6 and seem to be workable.

we havent decided if we are going to weld bungs or make aluminum brackets. but either way it works and shifts.

the arm i used actually ended up being a throttle linkage from a big block dirt oval car. it was 15 bucks and with taking a half inch off both sides shit worked awesome.

here is a more clear shot.

over on the brake side we arent having the best of luck with these rearsets.
the brake arm that connects to the drum is no where near where it needs to be and with the different angle the swingarm is TOTALLY in the way. we are trying to come up with a sensible solution that may be the use of a throttle cable with return spring. i saw it in one of those japanese bike magazines on a kz750 and it looked radical.

wiisass our suspension nazi will be replacing our front springs with blocks and some progressive springs we ordered on ebay as well as freshining seals and so on.. we probablly should be getting rid of these 33mm fork tubes in favor of something larger but we dont have a bike junk yard near by and kinda just want to ride when the season comes around instead of building forever. Its not like we are racing right?...RIGHT?

this is tims bike. he stripped it to nothing in like 2 hours and here it sits. in boxes and all apart. I spent all day sunday while he was working cleaning off his excess tabs and waiting for him to get a seatpan so we can cut his frame (i think i willjust cut it tonight and tell him to deal with it.)

more to come!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can you turn your rear break lever (the one on the drum) upside down and get to it that way? You'll have to flip the pedal side over so it'll push the connecting rod instead of pulling. Make sure you get a stiffer rod.

·
Registered
108 Posts
On looking at it a second time I see your issue...the pedal side actuator is exterior to the swingarm. Looks like a cable...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our best idea so far was to extend the mounting point for the rod on the drum outward so we could run the rod on the outside of the swingarm. But we're a little worried about torsional loads in the thing and putting a twist on the splined part of the drum. It probably wouldn't be that bad. And also it might not look as good as some other setups.

So the cable idea is probably going to be the best. I'm exploring options as to what cables and how to house them so it will look good and work properly.

Tim

www.tipengr.com
Just put the TIP in

·
Registered
38 Posts
I admire anyone who lays into a bike with a grinder from day one. I have a crazy idea for your rear brake situation: Get hold of the original master cylinder from the R6 and mount a clutch slave cylinder and pushrod direct to your rear brake assembly, then just plumb in a new braided line. Might work!

Is that a reverse shift?!? I thought you wern't going racing.

Less is More

Edited by - hoopsnakeengineering on Nov 20 2007 9:21:42 PM

·
Registered
326 Posts
It's great that you have someone else to work with. I wish I had someone
close by to help and that could help on my projects.

It's hard for me to get motivated sometimes so,I just work on my stuff in spurts..a little here and a little there.

If my shop was set up a little better that would help also with the time restraints I have. I still need to get a big enough compressor to run my sand blasting tank and run air tools etc. A mig welder,parts cleaner tank,rust removal tank etc.

Again,you are very lucky to have a another person to share the load and experience with. In the end the experience may be as important or more so than the actual machines you build.

Edited by - coolatula on Nov 21 2007 08:01:52 AM

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i agree i love working with tim. We get into shit and get it done rather quickly (as money allows). It also really helped we kinda fell into having the same bike. thanks to geeto! Then another friend in maryland got the same bike weird!! so now 3 of us have been trading ideas and we are all pretty skilled at fab (them more than me) so i think these will turn out rather sweet.

I have been getting beat down by this bike lately as everything needs replacing and trying to upgrade as well all while staying close to some sort of budget. will have more pics soon as we worked on them last night

·
Registered
16 Posts
UPDATE WHOOOO!!!

so we are feeling the pressure of warm weather and Matt and I have been working a little on the bikes. We laid out some plans for the rear sets then scrapped them, then just went and got serious..

These are stock peg assemblies from a 2001 R6 a friend had them off his bike when he switched to rear sets. they arent symmetrical or even close left to right but after months of planning we said fuck it and just started fabricating crap.
We tapped some tubing drilled throught the 1" stuff and welded the threaded bungs into the 1:" tube. using the knotcher and belt sander it got done in about 3 hours. for one bike. less our slacking and general horsing off. here is what we came up with.

Now with rear sets, at least on mine.

And the rest of the pics:
http://www.theoryinpracticeengineering.com/gallery/bikes/rearsets/

Spikes inserts are going to be made to go into the open tube at the back of the rear set mount and where we cut the frame. Matts will get done sometime this week probably.

www.tipengr.com
Just put the TIP in

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
damn i was betting somone was going to comment on tims WICKED viva la mexico welding helmet .... yeah its been cold but we must forge ahead.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
hey, the kid across the hall from just got one. (in maryland too!!) like last week. what a turd in stock form. you guys are doin it up. i also hung out with bucky last night and he claims there are a few guys racing these things and the motors can be built pretty good.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
sprinter, thats funny. apparently we know a few of the same people down here. one of the guys in our group here i guess is pretty good friends with you. you know another drifter kid named woody? he rides a gsxr. did his first track day with that guy blownr6 from the board here. ross. wh also did a vintage race last summer. woody doesnt have a car. but i know when i was at summit point last time he was doing some announcing or something for the timed even there. the "DA" behind your name always made me wonder and woodys got DA stickers on his gixxer and van.

weird.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the jigs up mother fucker!!!

youre one of woodies friends!!! i knew it!

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the best part is, i personally know one of those dudes......now.....i wonder who the other guy is??? hmmmm??? sprinter666 ive been told is the guy who runs the drift competitions at etown raceway. i must have missed him at summit last time. remember tex? i said there was a guy over there i knew? its the shorter guy in the vid. i cant figure out weve all managed to end up the same place on the web though. how freaking weird is that shis. oh, and the guy who knows sprinter, hes on that board im trying to get you signed up on.

j

i dont know shit

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the best part is, i personally know one of those dudes......now.....i wonder who the other guy is??? hmmmm??? sprinter666 ive been told is the guy who runs the drift competitions at etown raceway. i must have missed him at summit last time. remember tex? i said there was a guy over there i knew? its the shorter guy in the vid. i cant figure out weve all managed to end up the same place on the web though. how freaking weird is that shis. oh, and the guy who knows sprinter, hes on that board im trying to get you signed up on.

j

i dont know shit

·
Registered
16 Posts
That vid is from our Clubloose Annual Banquet that we had a couple weeks ago. It was at a bowling ally and the video was from the basement where we set up Dance Party 5000.

Joe, both Matt and I know Woody. He's good friends with a bunch of our other friends from down there.

And Matt does run the drift events at Englishtown.

It is weird how all this works out. And I bet on that other board you mentioned, there's a bunch of other people that we know. I'm guessing if Woody is on there, at least a couple of our other friends are as well.

Tim

www.tipengr.com
Just put the TIP in

·
Registered
16 Posts
That vid is from our Clubloose Annual Banquet that we had a couple weeks ago. It was at a bowling ally and the video was from the basement where we set up Dance Party 5000.

Joe, both Matt and I know Woody. He's good friends with a bunch of our other friends from down there.

And Matt does run the drift events at Englishtown.

It is weird how all this works out. And I bet on that other board you mentioned, there's a bunch of other people that we know. I'm guessing if Woody is on there, at least a couple of our other friends are as well.

Tim

www.tipengr.com
Just put the TIP in

1 - 20 of 34 Posts