Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...or any race compound tire for that matter. Are you guys doin any thing to them before you get out on the track or are you just using practice/warm up laps to scrub them in?

georGe
Ton Up Club-Florida

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Pull the stickers off them and head out on to the track. Be careful until the warm up, like any tire.

They're not as bad as street tires with their release compounds.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Pull the stickers off them and head out on to the track. Be careful until the warm up, like any tire.

They're not as bad as street tires with their release compounds.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I kinda figured that was the case but wanted ta get some insight from those in know.

georGe
Ton Up Club-Florida

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I kinda figured that was the case but wanted ta get some insight from those in know.

georGe
Ton Up Club-Florida

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Same here... only the first lap or two can be scary...so take it a little easy and work over the to edge...and just be aware that you don't want to get way over on the side and get into fresh rubber during an actual race. I usually do some exagerated leans at lower speeds on the practice laps to get all the way over to the edge. Nothing sucks like finding new rubber in Turn 1 at 85 mph.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Same here... only the first lap or two can be scary...so take it a little easy and work over the to edge...and just be aware that you don't want to get way over on the side and get into fresh rubber during an actual race. I usually do some exagerated leans at lower speeds on the practice laps to get all the way over to the edge. Nothing sucks like finding new rubber in Turn 1 at 85 mph.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
like jb and rob said.....

first couple laps will get the coating that the manufactures put on as a preservative off. whether it is a vintage or modern tire, it's on there so take the first couple laps easy.

check you pressure and modulate it to the weather conditions. lower pressures will cause the tire to heat up more/faster.

best,

texy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tex or anybody what kinda pressures are you using as a baseline and in what increments do you change pressures according to what temp/weather? I'm runnin a KR825 on the front and a KR124A on the rear. The bikes weighs about 275lbs(estimated),I weigh 150lb plus 50lbs for gear(estimated)and the suspension is set up pretty firm.
Any help/advice/ribbing or the like is appreciated!

georGe
Ton Up Club-Florida

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I look for a raise of about four lbs from cold to warm. Check before and immediately after a hot session. For starters, I choose about 28 in the rear and 27 in the front +/- 2 depending on ambiant and then adjust accordingly. If the tire doen't warm enough to be sticky then drop a little psi. Street use is a another matter entirely. I run them to the manufactuers higher setting.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
George...a lot depends on how hard you are riding too.
I run KR825's front and rear on two bikes. Both bikes around 200 lbs. My wife can do fine with 27-28 front or rear. If I run that pressure (I'm about 200 lbs in leathers, she's about 140) I'll toast the tires. So I run around 31-33 depending on conditions.
If the tread looks all smeared around...put some more air in them, if it looks dry, smooth and is not balling up anywhere...try dropping a pound or so.
Next year I'll be using an infrared thermometer to check them.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank ya'll for the advice now I atleast got somewhere to start.I'll post some picts in the VMR board when I get back from Bargy's school tomorrow.

georGe
Ton Up Club-Florida

1 - 12 of 12 Posts