Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, a newbie here with a question about some old stuff I have in the attic. Back around '87 or '88 IIRC, I welded up a bunch of fairing mount brackets for a guy in the Palms neighborhood of LA. He had a garage full of Paul Dunstall seats, tanks and fairings. In exchange I got a cafe seat with locking tail, a tank with cap and a fairing and windscreen with full lowers. It is all marked as fitting a CB500/550 and is in pretty good shape, the tank is blue metal flake and looks great, the seat and fairing is thin red fiberglass and while scuffed it has no cracks or gouges.... Never been on a bike as far as I can tell.

My question is what is it worth as is vs what would it add to the value of a CB550 if I built up one to suit the plastic? Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Those parts are definitely worth...something. However they're not terribly scarce. I had a 500 with the fiberglass pieces on it. The dunstall parts definitely have their own look. Some like it, some don't. I'd guess you could get around $500 for everything. Find the right hipster looking to cafe his cb and ask a grand.

Any good AMA racer stories? Also, a few of us here know the guy that used to run the NYC Computrack, Mike Martire.

JD

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Those parts are definitely worth...something. However they're not terribly scarce. I had a 500 with the fiberglass pieces on it. The dunstall parts definitely have their own look. Some like it, some don't. I'd guess you could get around $500 for everything. Find the right hipster looking to cafe his cb and ask a grand.

Any good AMA racer stories? Also, a few of us here know the guy that used to run the NYC Computrack, Mike Martire.

JD

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a few stories, but I'd have to kill you afterwards....... Those factories hate to have their secrets get out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a few stories, but I'd have to kill you afterwards....... Those factories hate to have their secrets get out.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
got pics? JD is right, it is hard to put a value on stuff but it isn't like they are making more. I'd be interested in the tank but I would like to see what it looks like first.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
got pics? JD is right, it is hard to put a value on stuff but it isn't like they are making more. I'd be interested in the tank but I would like to see what it looks like first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am still involved with finishing up my car project (google Westfield eleven), so it would be a while before I start on the bike. Plenty of time to decide what to do, although I am leaning towards building up a bike to display the plastic. Hell, I still need to freshen up the Laverda first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am still involved with finishing up my car project (google Westfield eleven), so it would be a while before I start on the bike. Plenty of time to decide what to do, although I am leaning towards building up a bike to display the plastic. Hell, I still need to freshen up the Laverda first.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The seats are harder to find than the tanks and fairing. The original fairing screens are tough to get also. That tank will give you problems with modern fuel unless you line it. The CB500/550 stuff was the same as the CB750 stuff. So you could put it on either bike. The bodywork is probably the easiest Dunstall parts to find for the CB. You need the Dunstall rearsets and the exhaust to put together a complete "Dunstall" bike. Check here for Dunstall CB750 info http://dunstallhonda.wordpress.com/

Scott

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
Where did you get the Laverda? Rickey Racer in Burbank or Glendale?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Westfield 11-----very cool. I remember back when I was a kid I worked at a store across the street from an autopart joint. One day this VERY low, aluminium body car pulled up, the doors opened down. I couldn't beleive it. Lotus 11. The owner went over the whole car with me, and even admired my rattle trap old MGA.

There was a pretty big foreign car dealer in the area, classics (well then they were just old cars) too and they would often drive a Rolls, Jag, Packard or the like to pick up parts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quote:Originally posted by texmawby

Where did you get the Laverda? Rickey Racer in Burbank or Glendale?
I bought it in Glendale when it was 2 years old, rode it a while and then rebuilt/reassembled it with new paint. I still have it.

Lance had a hand in the motor (and my pocket) installing Axtell cams and tuning the carbs. The bike is an Executive model with the molded sidebags and the wings on the fairing. I found out that a BMW K bike tank bag was a perfect fit and then bought a used Corbin seat out of the Recycler (remember that?). Turns out that the guy I got the seat from was Tim Parker, the author of the "Green Book" about the previous series of Laverdas, the 3C and the Jota. I stripped off the bags and mounts, but kept the wings to make the fairing a bit wider.
After that I rode it for thousands of miles all over the western US. It has a riding position just like the old BMW RS and I can easily put in a 500 mile day without seeing an interstate and still walk to the bar.[B)]
It' s not what I would call a caferacer though, so when I had the bike shop I put together an SR500 to ride up on the Angeles Crest on s
Sundays after working all week on race bikes and sport bikes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
quote:Originally posted by JackC

Westfield 11-----very cool. I remember back when I was a kid I worked at a store across the street from an autopart joint. One day this VERY low, aluminium body car pulled up, the doors opened down. I couldn't beleive it. Lotus 11. The owner went over the whole car with me, and even admired my rattle trap old MGA.

There was a pretty big foreign car dealer in the area, classics (well then they were just old cars) too and they would often drive a Rolls, Jag, Packard or the like to pick up parts.
I have never seen a real one except in pictures. Mine is almost completed, has been legal for a year or so, has650 miles as I work out the bugs. I will post up some pics when I can.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
Post pics of the Laverda when you can. I miss Lance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lance was a real character, a true living link to the bad old days. I went riding with him and his crew once, in fact, I think it was my first time up on Angles Forest Rd. And the Crest, too. I forget what he was riding, but I have the image of him in his riding gear burned into my retinas. Here was this fat old guy in a beat white open face and a tight black sweatsuit with white sox and sneakers. And he was so fuckin' fast!! Passing squid boys on Ninja's inside and outside with his pal on an orange Monty with open megaphones on his tail. What an afternoon..... I was on a Honda 900f I had done a hop-up on and frankly, I never got close to them on the road, just caught up at the stops with the rest of the pack.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bringing this back to the top in 2021! I still have the CB 550 Dunstall stuff, but this time I am well motivated to sell. Parts are in Paso Robles Ca.
Anyone interested?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts