Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a challenge for you. try and find me good pictures of the dunstall rear sets for the cb750. i have found these, but nothing really detailed about the way they mount to the frame from the back. it looks like it may just be a couple u bolts.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76cb750
'82 cx500 (but mine is cool, i swear. Why don't you believe me?)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have a set for the 75-76 F bike (when is the last time you saw a set for them). Anyway, you are correct in that they use u-bolts to attach to the frame, not even good u-bolts or padded ones - basically just some tightly bent shit that holds the plate to the frame. You have to make sure they are tight or they will scratch the shit out of your frame.

they are heavy, espically since those backing plates are chromed steel and not polished aluminum like they look like in the pics. if someone wanted to make a set it would be extremely easy and probably require no welding.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you know anyone that sells hardware that you can use to make your own rearsets...particularly the short shift lever with the splined hole? And maybe the rods and adjusters. I thought about cutting off an old shifter and making it work.

Edited by - 350four on Jan 21 2008 4:52:47 PM

·
Registered
104 Posts
Where can you find these rearsets? I googled for these and cannot find an online store? Do they make them for the 360?

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
Where can you find these rearsets? I googled for these and cannot find an online store? Do they make them for the 360?

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek
dunstall rearsets are a real period item, as in they are not made anymore. Paul dunstall started out as a norton tuner in the late 1950s and eventually went on to build his own "cafe racer" versions of 1960s and 70's motorcycles for sale. His company also sold accessories and parts like these rearsets. It used to be dunstall parts were the parts to have in the early 1970s, but by mid to late 1970s they were antiquated.

if you want to learn more about paul dunstall and his bikes, this is a good start:

http://woodgate.org/dunstall/

350four - most of that stuff we get off sport bikes from the 80s and 90s as there seem to be a fair number of them that share the spline and size with a number of cb models. If your shaft is the same size and spline as a cb750 then a cbr f2/f3 or a cbr929 might be a good place to start.

you can try contacting raask if they make rearsets for your bike you might be able to get parts.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
quote:
i have found these, but nothing really detailed about the way they mount to the frame from the back. it looks like it may just be a couple u bolts.
I have seen 2 different styles for the back mounts. One style uses a machined aluminum peice to fit and the other style has a half round peice of metal with 2 elongated nuts welded to it (1 on each side). I'll try to dig up some pics later.
DG

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks, Geeto67, I've been dreading going to the salvage guys around here (Tampa) as they're a bunch of penises. The only good one (where you could shop) closed down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts