Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some green, 3 ohm, single lead Dyna coils for my '71 CB350. I clipped the wires to the old coil and removed it but the new Dyna coil doesn't fit in the bracket. How did you guys solve this problem? Any elegant solutions? Pictures? Thanks.

Also, for anyone who's installed the Bore-Tech electronic ignition, where did you mount the evil black box?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
you're in luck. i have this setup and some pics, it's not particularly elegant but it works:

here's the bracket modification.

basically, i just added "decks" to the OEM bracket on all four corners to accept the wider Dyna coils. I just cut appropriate sized bits of stock, drilled and bolted them onto the OEM bracket where the OEM coils used to mount, then drilled the decks and bolted on the coils. there's some JBWeld on there to ease my mind.

I zip-tied the black box to the back of my battery box where the cooling fins can still get some air.

I do run an SL350 tank so there's no problem with the tank fitting around the coils, but i think you may have to make a few dents in the stock CB350 tank's tunnels to get this to fit.

good luck-
tt

·
Registered
166 Posts
Same thing, modified the stock bracket to accept the new coils,,,even got the condensor to fit back on top after a couple new bends. took some work, a few hours with a dremel, and some ingenuity.

I've got a stock 69 cb tank and it fits over it just fine.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Nice tip - I'll have to file this one away for later use.

thanks

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody. I also found this old message at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Small-Honda-Twins/message/204

quote:I recently finished installing a set of new Dyna ignition coils [DC10-1] on my '72 Honda CB350K4 twin. I didn't have any luck finding info about doing this online so I've uploaded a PDF drawing of the plans called "coil_bracket_parts_cb350k4.pdf" to the "Files" area if anyone is interested. I used .125 thick 1.5 inch angle aluminum for the material. The archived messages of this group were a big help in getting by bike up and running, so I guess this is my contribution
back. My setup includes an electronic ignition so a place to mount the condenser was not needed on this bracket.
I'm using DC3-1 coils and I don't know if the dimensions are the same as the DC10-1 used above. I'll be able to check the drawing (assuming it's still there) if/when the Small Honda Twins Yahoo! Group administrator approves me. I may fab some replacement brackets for a cleaner install.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
If you add little brackets like Tim (TT) did to clear the frame and mounting bracket, you have to knock a relief into the stock CB tank for the tank to fit properly (that is what I did at first). If you run an SL tank, the coils will fit nicely. Another option, which I did when I swapped stock CB350 tanks was to flip the coil bracket upside down, mount the coils hanging under the frame. Just seal up the connections real well to keep any moisture away (like the ATV guys do).

Pete

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
freedom-

full on ignore pete's advice with the bore-tech ignition, he's toasted like a half dozen units. for everything else, ignore soto-moto's advice.

tt

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ttilghman

freedom-

full on ignore pete's advice with the bore-tech ignition, he's toasted like a half dozen units. for everything else, ignore soto-moto's advice.

tt

Yeah, that is true, but I toasted my bore tech black box because I wired it while drinking toooooo many Guinness...or is it Guinnesses. Never, ever, wire your bike while drinking. I threw a magnet off of the bore tech pickup rotor when I down shifted instead of upshifted, (Can you say, "weeeeeeeeeweeeweeeeeeeeeeee") GP shifting can be a bitch to remember for a guy like me who killed many a brain cells.
The good thing, is that the Bore Tech guys are really helpful, fast to replace parts (for free with respect to the pickup rotor) and my stupidity will keep enough demand for production of the ignition systems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts