Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there using Dyna Coils on a 68-72 CB350 twin? I have a couple I am considering using, but am unsure if it is worth the effort. Also confused on which post the stock yellow/ blue wires go and the black power feeds. I have the instruction manual, but obviously not for this bike.

Anyone?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Definitely worth it in my opinion. I run the dyna wires with mine too. If I remember correctly, yellow is on the left and blue on the right. Should be hookups on the coils themselves,,,small threaded screw holes on the back of the coils for the wires. Getcha a dyna ignition booster while you are at it,,,makes the bike run awesome!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Definitely worth it in my opinion. I run the dyna wires with mine too. If I remember correctly, yellow is on the left and blue on the right. Should be hookups on the coils themselves,,,small threaded screw holes on the back of the coils for the wires. Getcha a dyna ignition booster while you are at it,,,makes the bike run awesome!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I haven't had any problems nor have I heard of anyone else having problems, I run a gell cell too. Yellow=left cylinder and blue=right...I think,,, pretty sure without seeing a manual. Get a manual if you don't have one. Plenty of places to download them. Just follow the wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, which Dyna coil would be the correct one for '73 CB350G - the DC3-1?

Also, just wondering where a good place to mount the ignition booster that Mc69 is talking about.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've heard great things about the Dyna coils as well.. Wouldn't it help to have an electronic ignition with those coils? Does Dyna make one for the Honda twins?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Dyna's work just fine with points. Don't worry too much about wiring them properly left/right. When you go to fire it up, if it won't start or backfires, just switch the plug wires. The 350 uses a "wasted spark" ignition so you never really can get much more than 180 degrees out (unless you've messed with the points plate at the same time).

Oh, and make sure you install a good set of plug wires while you're at it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok, one last question. Will installing these be a pain in the ass? I've read other threads about having to bang our recesses in the tank in order for them to fit, but wasn't sure if that was referring to this application specifically i.e. DC3-1's on a CB350G.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
to answer that question directly....

Dyna's coils are not magic nor do they defy any laws governing electricity

4-5 ohm coils work fine with points and their current draw will be right in line with stock stuff.... so will their output

3 ohm coils will have points not living very long without an amplifier of some sort and will indeed draw more current than typical stock points coils

1.5 ohm coils will fry a set of points within seconds and you better use a big primary wire going to it while not expecting antique charging systems to be able to keep up

and this matters not whose name is on the coil

Correct Corey.... with a 180 crank you cannot do the dual output coil and waste spark

the truth be known, single fire even with a 360 degree crank results in easier starting and slightly better performance in most all cases but especially so for HD's with it's 315/405 stagger

quote:Originally posted by zombiehunter

are these Dyna coils any more (or less) taxing on the electrical system?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

to answer that question directly....

Dyna's coils are not magic nor do they defy any laws governing electricity

They are quality made and very reliable

4-5 ohm coils work fine with points and their current draw will be right in line with stock stuff.... so will their secondary output as well primary consumption

3 ohm coils will have points not living very long without an amplifier of some sort and will indeed draw more current than typical stock points coils and also higher secondary output/energy avialable

1.5 ohm coils will fry a set of points within seconds and you better use a big primary wire going to it while not expecting antique charging systems to be able to keep up... these will jump a huge gap and stop your heart

there are also less than 1 ohm ignition coils available and they should be handled with much care

and this matters not whose name is on the coil

Correct Corey.... with a 180 crank you cannot do the dual output coil and waste spark

the truth be known, single fire even with a 360 degree crank results in easier starting and slightly better performance in most all cases but especially so for HD's with it's 315/405 stagger

quote:Originally posted by zombiehunter

are these Dyna coils any more (or less) taxing on the electrical system?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Easiest mount of Dynas on a 350 I've seen involves simply removing the stock coils and bracket and securing the new Dynas to the frame with a pair of big ass hose clamps. Simple, cheap, effective and it all fit under a stock '69 tank with little or no bending of sheetmetal underneath.

You'll have to run a couple of good ground wires to each coil, too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts