Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - I'm seriously thinking about changing from points to a Dyna-S Ignition for one of my cb750's. The lowest price I've found for the DS1-2 is through Z1enterprise for 120.00 dollars.

Anyone got a line on a cheaper place to get the DS1-2 Dyna???

thanks

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
z1enterprises and dynoman.net are the two places that I have found with the cheapest dyna S iggy setups. They alternate in who is cheaper sometimes depending on what is in stock.

here is my question - granted you want to be cheap with this otherwise you wouldn't be asking for the cheapest price but....how modified is your cb750? Are you using stock coils?

A dyna S is basically a magnetic pickup instead of points, they function just like points. A Dyna 2000 is computer controlled fully programmible ignition so if you are running a hot cam, bigger carbs, overbore, forced induction, etc they make the most sense. Sure it is a lot of money, but if you need it, it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Geeto

Stock motor, stock coils with headers and K&N's. I'm just tired of adjusting points to dial in the ignition timing. I've read that using GL1000 coils could be use for a modified setup. (Yes I know its a 6volt system but it will work for 12volts.) The new build I'm working on now will have an 836cc motor so I may go for the 2000 or dyna-s and dyna coil setup for that bike.

The one I'm setting up now is my everyday road burner. My current points setup is an aftermarket deal that has modified points that has an allen screw adjustment with a built in timing light. It's a pretty cool setup but the points are worn-out and I cannot find replacement points for it. I hate the stock point setup, so it seems the easier setup would be to break down and buy the dyna-s setup to replace the current point system.

thanks

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the dyna S is an awsome setup for a nearly stock daily rider.

Hondaman on the SOHC board has his own iggy setup for 1/2 the price but I have no idea how it works (he also has a fancy CDI setup).

The GL1000 coils are 12v but have about 3 ohms resistance which is lese than the 5.5 you need for stock honda coils (I think that is right my numbers may be off). Anyway, either way over time your GL1000 coils will burnout a dyna (dyna aftermarket coils do this also).

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great Link Geeto - I learned a ton more just reading through the link from hondaman. I'm going to email him to find out more about his transistorized Ignition setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts