Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running it? I live in the great midwest and I've been tossing the idea around this winter to convert, but I don't know if it is just the jetting that I have to mess with or what. Anybody tried it or know anything about it?

In theory it should work pretty damn good, especially for a higher compression motor like mine. The only thing that sucks is mapping out exactyly which stations carry it and not getting too far from where I could fill up.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody?

In some ways it sounds pretty good. I'm running Mikuni's so I don't really have any rubber to worry about inside my carbs, but on some boards I've heard that it may corrode the aluminum. Most are saying that increasing the jets by 40% will make it run about the same as running 105 octane.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done it and felt any gains from running E85. Otherwise I'll keep with the 91 + a little octane booster to stay away from the detonation at 12K.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I see a lot of drag racers running e85 these days, reminds me of the old days of alcohol street/strip cars.

Supposedly you can get a lot more power out of e85 (because it runs cooler than gas) but the fuel consumption is almost twice. The rule of thumb with e85 is increase your flow by 25% by mass. Also you need to run between 1 and 2 heat ranges colder on your plugs ro prevent pre-ignition.

It is a corrosive fuel so it isn't just jetting but every gasket in your engine that e85 is going to come into contact with is going to need to be changed to the "green" gaskets (because their color is green) before you run straight e-85 though it. That is not just the carb but the petcock, head gaskets, fuel lines, etc...

I have not heard of the e85 corroding aluminum, and I am kinda skeptical about it because the new flex fuel cars use a lot of alloy in the engines and they seem to be fine. for now.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Geeto is spot on with his advice. Again, the main disadvantage to E85 (after the initial expense of conversion) is the consumption rate. I've personally seen rates as high as 30-35% over regular fossil fuel but the benefits can't be ignored. A totally renewable source of 105 octane fuel is definately worth a little research.

Gas Right, Clutch Left

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I was at my local speed shop over the weekend BTW and saw something interesting. Blank sheets of E85 gasket material. Basically you can cut your own gaskets now if there is no E85 kit for your carb. O-rings can usually be had through any natural gas supplier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts