Cafe Racer Forum banner

Ear plugs?

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  CurbTiger 
#1 ·
Decided to take the bike to work since all the tools were already there and the road to the job was a great one. Perfect morning 10%C going to and 28%C coming home. Definitely fall weather. Love affair with the bike is still on. Some nice long sweepers and a few tight left right lefts. Almost felt like I was doing it right. Anyway, my ears are screwed and it takes very little wind to get'm ringin like a bastard. I've tried allot of different plugs from the squishy foam to the space age ear shaped silly cone. So far the closest thing I've got to work are the cone shaped foam but I use the fat end. Tinnitus sucks and for an hour after the rides I can't hear half of whats said to me. Anyone found a decent set of plugs that work? By the HJC IS17 is a LOUD fuckin skid lid. Time for a new one.

#4 ·
Found these "plugs" on the interwebs..... dunno whether they go down to ear size and personally I wouldn't let this guy shout up my arse.

Product Bottle Glass bottle

stick to below 50 on a quiet pipe and you shouldn't need earplugs.

#6 ·
Found these "plugs" on the interwebs..... dunno whether they go down to ear size and personally I wouldn't let this guy shout up my arse.

View attachment 28953

stick to below 50 on a quiet pipe and you shouldn't need earplugs.
wrong hole

#5 ·
I have tinnitus too, it sucks, 8 years of working on helicopters does that to you. I like the rounded foam ones too, they work the best I think.

For really long rides though, just squirt some silicon caulking in there, makes em nice and air tight lol

#13 ·
My two favorites. I tend to wear the Neon Blasts for riding, the Pura-Fits (which are a bit denser foam) for the shooting range.

View attachment 28969
View attachment 28961 [/QUOTE

Not sure the brand I have but they look similar to the second one. They kinda work but I think there is some other ear damage making it difficult to get'm in even part way so the tapered end doesn't work. I just squash the fat end. Like the idea of denser foam. If I can find something that compresses more would help. Thanks.

#9 ·
I've been told to use a white noise generator to help me sleep, never thought of doing it while I ride. I should try that

Reactions: pwalo
#16 ·
I used the blue ones(Howard Leight "AirSoft") for quite a while. They worked fine, save for the stem thingys being too long. Nipped them short so they wouldn't rub the helmet liner.
After getting the orange ones(Howard Leight "Quiet"), I wonder why I kept with the blue ones for so long. The center blue bit helps get it in place way easier, significantly more comfortable & it seems to do a number of wind noise, yet allowing me to hear the engine & traffic around me somewhat.
There's a safety supply house in SE PDX that has probably 40 types of ear plugs to choose from. [insert comment about many plugs, few holes] :rolleyes:

NE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.