Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may seem like a bit of a contradiction but I am one who believes that riding these old motorcycles that we all love can help save this planet we live on. Crazy right? With the uber-consumer mega-SUV trend going these days it's really against the grain to ride around on a motorcycle you have saved from the landfill (in one way or another) by maintaining or restoring it. Should it be considered a form of recycling, or maybe preservation? The fact of the matter is that motorcycles (regardless of year) relieve traffic congestion, travel farther per gallon of fuel, take up less space, and emit less per mile traveled than most 4 wheeled vehicles. There might be some exceptions but they are certainly not the norm. With the current gas prices, insurance prices and urban congestion we may see a return to the motorcycles popularity as an everyday form of transport for the average Joe (or Jane). It would certainly be a lot easier on the eyes to see a sea of motorcycles on the LIE instead of the jam of single occupant SUV's. It's funny how with all the hype alternative fuel vehicles are getting nobody has mentioned this stuff. Maybe the vehicle that can save the world has been around the whole time, you know the one... the most popular motorcycle of all time? Sold everywhere in the world EXCEPT here. Voted greatest motorcycle EVER? You guess it: the bombproof 100+ MPG Honda Super Cub.

Now do your Earth Day duty and get out on two wheels!

-Rosko

·
Registered
69 Posts
Man rosko, that's the exact argument I use every time I want a bike. I agree totally with the earth day stuff.

I can't see myself on a super cub, it's virtually a moped, which are fine in their own right, just with crazy drives and the limited speed and lack of you being seen, well... imo, scooter riders are brave mofos.

·
Registered
569 Posts
been riding the cl160 to work for the past 2 weeks...

dch.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I once had a very long conversation with a friend that works for the EPA as an enviornmental law researcher. He told me that manufacturing pollution is the largest source of pollution in this country. He also told me that anything produced 20 years ago or more - the pollution created in that manufacturing process has already been cleaned up. I found this claim rather dubious since there are landfills, and other lasting effects of the old process of manufacturing things but I did find another way to look at it:

Pollution investment.

In producing your 1973 Honda motorcycle, the pollution has already been created and a good portion dealt with. The longer we use the vehicle for the more value we get out of the pollution created in manufacturing that bike (and the less pollution there is in making a new one to replace it). It is not recycling since you are not turning the bike into something else, but it is conservation since you are taking yourself out of the consumer loop for new bikes.

As far as emissions, if you are that worried about it new bike catalytic converters can be retrofitted to your old bike, but an old motorcycle is not really a gross polluter anyway. Modern bikes don't really get much better mileage than a well tuned 1970s honda (they make more power but don't do any better in the fuel dept) so as long as you are replacing your car with it, you are making a difference.

Unfortunatly, I am an asshole since I use my bike to replace public transportation also (although I did take mass transit today).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Dont get too optimistic. If it burns fossil fuel, it will eventually be on the chopping block. yes i realize that they are small and efficient but that will not be enough. Preservation of the past will not be enough to dissuade radical environmentalists that you are doing your part to combat the emission of deadly greenhouse gasses. Who do you think is going to provide after market "green" exhaust systems for your CB's XS's KZ's. We won't even start on RD's. Palladium and platinum catalyzers cost a whole lot more than billet aluminum or the trickest carbon fiber or magnesium bits out there. Sorry, i've been listening to talk radio all day and i think i misspelled emissions. Snatch them all up while you can.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Any "radical enviornmentalist" who thinks your fossil fuel burning vehicle is "the real problem" doesn't know his asshole from his earhole.

yeah the big 70's two strokes are not eco friendly, but I use them spairingly.

As far as an eco friendly exhaust system - I see guys trying to sell their catalytic converters off new sport bikes all the time, usually attached to the stock exhaust system. Cheap Mac pipe + reduction collar + cbr600 catalytic converter + muffler = eco friendly exhaust system.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
i ride my xs400 to work everyday rain, shine or snow. it gets amazing mileage. i can go on 7 bucks worth of of 91 octane gas for two weeks commuting to work and back. i don't own a car at all and i feel good about that too, in fact i feel a little guilty not bicycling to work.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i think most people agree the biggest eco problem we have right now is china burning coal to make electricity, to make our tennis shoes. well that combined with deforestion of south america to make all the new houses for the emerging middle class in china and india.

they do have a solid argument though...the US burned a billion tons of coal during their industrial revolution(and it's still like 20% of our energy), and we've been raping south america for decades....

we are totally screwed. happy earth day!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Screw it, when my RD is put together its going to be the only street legal bike i own. i bet mine will still pollute less than 30% of the vehicles in my part of kentucky. my co-worker has a honda CRX that gets 47mpg and burns a quart of oil a week too. points being...RD's SUPPOSEDLY get 53mph, burn less oil than that and are WAYYYY faster. I have been writing my congressmen, senators and representatives trying to push giving motorcyclist incentives to ride more. Go to www.ridetowork.org, there are all kinds of facts about how much better we would be if more people rode bikes. I think we should get tax breaks, registration breaks and toll breaks if we are using less fuel, causing less wear and tear on the road ways and less congestion. I encourage you guys to also write the lazy ass beauracrats that represent you. I doubt anything will change, but i can use my voice all i can i suppose. Also, i am investing in some good rain/cold weather riding gear so i can extend my riding season!

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Tyler, it has nothing to do with mileage. Its has to do with the unfiltered, unburnt crap coming out the tailpipe.

Most motorcycles don't have catalytic converters, and pollute more even though they get better gas mileage.

Heck, scooters get great mileage. But ever been to a European city? Especially Italy. Hard to breath from all the 2stroke exahust in the air.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I say we nuke China and India...set world population back 50 years. Use nice clean neutron bombs.
Course our shoes and customer service will be hard to find for a while.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
quote:Any "radical enviornmentalist" who thinks your fossil fuel burning vehicle is "the real problem" doesn't know his asshole from his earhole.
shit's coming out my ears and my but-hole has 20-20 hearing...1960's spanish two strokes are really bad (still) for the environment even though the castings got carted by wheel barrow between the forge and the manufacturring "barns" 40 years ago. we americans are using more energy every day than most of the world uses in a lifetime. i love bikes too but get off the high horse guys. bikes still are brads in the cofffin.
-parks

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys are funny. The fact is that the RD (or any 2 stroke) used to commute for a year VS. a full size SUV will use less... of everything. AND push less shit out. For sure. It is a more efficient machine. Commute on your TZ Rob, the outcome will be no different. You'll have to kill the whale yourself.

We all know industry abroad is the biggest offender and the day when a TZ or Bultaco is the biggest problem is so far off it's sad. So this ain't no high horse thing, I'm just pointing out that in most cases these huge vehicles are carrying one passenger, taking up all that room and using so many resources, just stupid. For me it may be more pronounced being in NYC. So ride a bike, take up less space, use less and have a blast doing so. It's a no brainer.

And for the rest, it is actually true that a motorcycle is MORE efficient (per mile travelled per person) than public transportation. Check this out: http://wikicars.org/en/Fuel_efficiency
Note that motorcycles are the lowest BTU per passenger mile, even lower than commuter trains. Keep riding and save the world! Just keep the whales away from Rob's bike!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Actually Canada has the highest per capita energy usage in the world. With the US second, Finland third, Sweden fourth, Australia fifth, Belgium sixth.

North America has one of the smallest anual percentage growths of energy use.

The Middle East has the highest percentage use of fossil fuels as their energy source.

The air in the US is cleaner than it was 30 years ago, we have 30% more forest land than we did 100 years ago.

Buy the fear baby, buy the fear. It's been the biggest business in the world for 1000 years. You are going to hell, the commies are taking over, nuclear war, an ice age is coming, global warming will kill us all.....buy the fear, it's the way people are controlled.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jbranson

Actually Canada has the highest per capita energy usage in the world. With the US second, Finland third, Sweden fourth, Australia fifth, Belgium sixth.

North America has one of the smallest anual percentage growths of energy use.

The Middle East has the highest percentage use of fossil fuels as their energy source.

The air in the US is cleaner than it was 30 years ago, we have 30% more forest land than we did 100 years ago.

Buy the fear baby, buy the fear. It's been the biggest business in the world for 1000 years. You are going to hell, the commies are taking over, nuclear war, an ice age is coming, global warming will kill us all.....buy the fear, it's the way people are controlled.
JohnnyB
The problem with most of these statements is that they are presented without any context or explanation. It would take considerable research by someone to put them into the context they deserve. For instance, Sweden and Australia may indeed be ranked high for energy use per capita, but I believe they also have the highest use of non fossil fuels and renewable sources providing some of that energy.
The US may have 30% more forested area than 100 years ago, but we cut down over 80% of the trees in the northeast 200 years ago, so what's happening now is a minor correction.
I wish I had time to talk about this, but I have to go to work now.

FR

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Hell, almost all the homes in the NE use heating oil to heat the house. There's no converter on those. Its like putting a can of diesel on fire.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts