Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just directed me to this link where you can buy a 40 foot roll of checkers that look almost identical to mine!!! What do you know?! Of course they will get a little funny around corners and curves, and they won't be reflective... But still they are seriously cool and cost effective.
There's no way to be 100% sure but I'll be you a quarter that Steve "Carpy" Carpenter gets the checkers he sells from these guys.

National Taxi Supply
http://www.taxicabsupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NTCS&Product_Code=L4&Category_Code=D

Peace and grease
-fang

'70 Suzuki T350
Download The Fang.mp3 HERE

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
thats the best find iv seen in a long time. bitchen cool man.

jc

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I had checkered Vans in the early '80s. I don't quite understand what connection checkers have with race bikes. In my mind, they'll always be a silly new wave poseur gimmicky fashoin thing. Maybe I should start riding my retro checkered cafe bike wearing parachute pants.

No offense Fang, your bike's plenty cool. I remember it wearing green from anothr forum.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The previous post has been edited, and the poster has been sent to the state institution. All other records have been destroyed.

-BIG BROTHER

WHAT?!!! Checkers are just RAD. IF it were not for checkers the planets would fall out of their orbit and the Universe would implode, and there would be even more malls and Starbucks and Walmarts and crap like that on every corner....
Even as rainbows are now gay, the hammer and sickle are red communist, checkers represent the very soul of all things cafe racer!!!

End of discussion. Go buy yourself another pink Vespa.

-fang

'70 Suzuki T350

·
Registered
237 Posts
checkers are gay, everytime I see someone with them on their bike, they end up being yuppies cause yuppies care about image. Real bikers don't, obviously if you think all cafe bike need checkers then your a yuppy and I'm sure many would agree with me

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

·
Registered
237 Posts
well if checkers are your thing, I'm just tired of hearing guys at shows and what not say it isn't a cafe racer unless it has checkers or is flat black, one of the reasons I finally decided to paint my bike.

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
fuck all ya'll. my current vans are checkered. but the again some squid called me old the other day too.

jc

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
everything comes around checkers to me are over used now it will die and then people will put them back on they come and go in and out of style for me they are out,nice rat rods are out unless they are built with clever and unique styling and features.Billet has been out but people dont know it,style is hard to put your finger on ..whats cool isnt hard to put your finger on, you know it when you see it.
To me "cool" is always Imagination and inginuity and panache and ussually low cost.Something new thats cool is getting harder and harder because so much has been done already.
And you need to take what ever it is to a show or a mag so you can be known as the first ..because there are so many ripp off artists that claim it their idea.As for yuppies or the people that fit under that posers catagory.They will always be chasing the next cool thing ,it changes like the wind most artists continue in their form improving and enhancing their designs and ideas.They have found their internal cool and thats cool to me.

But if checkers make you happy, get checkers, dont let anyone stop you! thats "cool"

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
everything comes around checkers to me are over used now it will die and then people will put them back on they come and go in and out of style for me they are out,nice rat rods are out unless they are built with clever and unique styling and features.Billet has been out but people dont know it,style is hard to put your finger on ..whats cool isnt hard to put your finger on, you know it when you see it.
To me "cool" is always Imagination and inginuity and panache and ussually low cost.Something new thats cool is getting harder and harder because so much has been done already.
And you need to take what ever it is to a show or a mag so you can be known as the first ..because there are so many ripp off artists that claim it their idea.As for yuppies or the people that fit under that posers catagory.They will always be chasing the next cool thing ,it changes like the wind most artists continue in their form improving and enhancing their designs and ideas.They have found their internal cool and thats cool to me.

But if checkers make you happy, get checkers, dont let anyone stop you! thats "cool"

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
checkers effin rock. those teeny ones are the best. but mixed with green or gold or yellow they totally kick ass.

red race bikes suck. maybe ill do checks on the atomic green meanie.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
checkers effin rock. those teeny ones are the best. but mixed with green or gold or yellow they totally kick ass.

red race bikes suck. maybe ill do checks on the atomic green meanie.

jc

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think I know anything about being gay or yuppies. I'm just a family guy who loves old Japanese cafe racers, and for me that has always meant checkers.... I have been putting checkers on the cafe bikes I have built -- lots and lots of them -- for more than 20 years now. I don't read bike magazines, I don't watch TV, I don't go to bike shows, and I don't care what you do or don't think is cool. If you happen to like the bikes I build, hey that's great. But if you don't, then the best thing to do is probably to call people names and get your panties all in a wad, because all true cool guys have a big mouth and a big attitude.

My t350 has checkers. I build my bikes in my garage. I make them go fast with my tools, my knowledge, and my love. I come up with my own ideas, and I paint them myself. When I take my little cafe racer out on the twisties it makes me happy. When people see it they usually have to look twice and they always smile. That is good enough for me. Being a gay yuppie... that's just an extra bonus.

Peace and grease
-fang

Edited by - fang on Nov 15 2007 9:02:49 PM

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think I know anything about being gay or yuppies. I'm just a family guy who loves old Japanese cafe racers, and for me that has always meant checkers.... I have been putting checkers on the cafe bikes I have built -- lots and lots of them -- for more than 20 years now. I don't read bike magazines, I don't watch TV, I don't go to bike shows, and I don't care what you do or don't think is cool. If you happen to like the bikes I build, hey that's great. But if you don't, then the best thing to do is probably to call people names and get your panties all in a wad, because all true cool guys have a big mouth and a big attitude.

My t350 has checkers. I build my bikes in my garage. I make them go fast with my tools, my knowledge, and my love. I come up with my own ideas, and I paint them myself. When I take my little cafe racer out on the twisties it makes me happy. When people see it they usually have to look twice and they always smile. That is good enough for me. Being a gay yuppie... that's just an extra bonus.

Peace and grease
-fang

Edited by - fang on Nov 15 2007 9:02:49 PM

1 - 20 of 32 Posts