Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few weeks back i bid on some stuff, then some more of the same stuff came up from another trader, so just in case i missed out on the first stuff i bid on the second lot of stuff too,I set my max bid for both lots of stuff, then i get a message from some dude saying that last time his stuff sold for more and i should up my bid.I said stuff you! and next thing i know both lots of stuff went straight to max bid,That sort of stuff is not coincedence me thinks. But then Im new to ebay trading so my story is probably not that new to regular users i suspect,Id just like to know how common that stuff is.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
not that common (shill bidding is but getting a message before it happens is not), report to ebay and let the seller get banned, make sure you forward the e-mail he sent you.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
not that common (shill bidding is but getting a message before it happens is not), report to ebay and let the seller get banned, make sure you forward the e-mail he sent you.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah, eBay is really,really good about following up on stuff like that. I successfully got money back a couple of times from shady sellers that sent me crap which appeared nothing like the description/pictures.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah, eBay is really,really good about following up on stuff like that. I successfully got money back a couple of times from shady sellers that sent me crap which appeared nothing like the description/pictures.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I don't think I've ever been screwed on ebay once. About 200 purches.

And what would you report that seller for....offering good advice?

And if the guy doesn't want to sell his stuff...and has it shill bidded out of your range...so what, buy someone else's stuff.

Shill bidding has no effect on smart buyers that aren't looking to steal something for nothing. I bid what I'm willing to pay...and pay happily...so I don't care if there are shill bids or not. Let a shill over bid me and the seller ends up buying his own stuff and paying ebay fees for it, doesn't hurt me one lick, I'll just buy someone else's stuff.

Shill bidding works against newbs that want a $100 item for $5 and are disappointed when they don't get it. If you are serious about an item...you bid what you want to pay, if it goes over that price then someone else wanted it more than you OR the buyer shill bidded and bought his own items.

I NEVER get in a bidding war with someone, I place ONE bid, and it's the max price I'm willing to happily pay...if it goes over that I could care less and move on to the next auction.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I don't think I've ever been screwed on ebay once. About 200 purches.

And what would you report that seller for....offering good advice?

And if the guy doesn't want to sell his stuff...and has it shill bidded out of your range...so what, buy someone else's stuff.

Shill bidding has no effect on smart buyers that aren't looking to steal something for nothing. I bid what I'm willing to pay...and pay happily...so I don't care if there are shill bids or not. Let a shill over bid me and the seller ends up buying his own stuff and paying ebay fees for it, doesn't hurt me one lick, I'll just buy someone else's stuff.

Shill bidding works against newbs that want a $100 item for $5 and are disappointed when they don't get it. If you are serious about an item...you bid what you want to pay, if it goes over that price then someone else wanted it more than you OR the buyer shill bidded and bought his own items.

I NEVER get in a bidding war with someone, I place ONE bid, and it's the max price I'm willing to happily pay...if it goes over that I could care less and move on to the next auction.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
While I agree with your reasoning Johnny, as per ebay rules you are entitled to bid without shills jacking the price up. And just because you are willing to pay the max amount doesn;t mean you have to be happy about being cheated out of paying a lower amount you were entitled to pay had the rules not been broken.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
While I agree with your reasoning Johnny, as per ebay rules you are entitled to bid without shills jacking the price up. And just because you are willing to pay the max amount doesn;t mean you have to be happy about being cheated out of paying a lower amount you were entitled to pay had the rules not been broken.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Shill bidders. Get used to them. Like Mr. Branson said, bid what you're willing to pay and accept it if someone outbids you.
What torks me are the people who end auctions early. I was high bidder for a rare Triumph performance piece when on the 6th day of a 10 day auction the seller ended it. I e-mailed him to find out what was up and was told he got an offer he couldn't refuse. Oh well, the idiot sold it for about 1/3 less then my maximum bid.

Cheers, Bret @ Glass from the Past

·
Registered
838 Posts
Shill bidders. Get used to them. Like Mr. Branson said, bid what you're willing to pay and accept it if someone outbids you.
What torks me are the people who end auctions early. I was high bidder for a rare Triumph performance piece when on the 6th day of a 10 day auction the seller ended it. I e-mailed him to find out what was up and was told he got an offer he couldn't refuse. Oh well, the idiot sold it for about 1/3 less then my maximum bid.

Cheers, Bret @ Glass from the Past

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah I just remembered, after the auction ended and they lost my sale, they sent me a buy now offer at the the max bid price that i set. DUH!
Which was a fair price for the item. The interferance did cause me to pay over the odds with the other trader who was an inocent in the event, but lucky for him with a good sale.Steve once bitten.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah I just remembered, after the auction ended and they lost my sale, they sent me a buy now offer at the the max bid price that i set. DUH!
Which was a fair price for the item. The interferance did cause me to pay over the odds with the other trader who was an inocent in the event, but lucky for him with a good sale.Steve once bitten.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
A seller is supposed to make it clear in the auction if he retains the option to end the auction early due to local sale (but not to an ebay customer). Also it's against the rules to contact a buyer and attempt an off ebay sale after the auction ends.

I'm not sure how the seller knew what your max bid was. I've sold numerous things and have never seen that information shown. The information provided to the seller doesn't include max bids, just the current bids.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Completely off topic, but Red's from down under. What's the car Max drives in Mad Max & Road Warrior?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
Also it's against the rules to contact a buyer and attempt an off ebay sale after the auction ends.
not quite johnny B, if the auction ends naturally at the specified time a seller is allowed to offer it to buyer at a lower off ebay price (ebay frowns upon this but it isn't against their rules). Also if a deal doesn't go through a seller is allowed to contact the second highest bidder and give a second chance offer (he is not obligated to do this, ebay is ok with this). If the seller ends the auction prematurley his is not allowed to offer the item to an ebay bidder.

quote:
I'm not sure how the seller knew what your max bid was. I've sold numerous things and have never seen that information shown. The information provided to the seller doesn't include max bids, just the current bids.
A lot of shill sellers will have their shill "reserve fish", which means they put in some outrageous amount of money in order to see what the top bid is, and then retract the bid a moment later. Sellers are not the only ones who do this, some really saavy musclecar buyers do this all the time to see if the car is worth chasing or not (espically those sneaky mopar guys)....

somethings also happen by concidence. Last year I was trying to make a deal for some well used raask rearsets for an h1. The seller felt I was lowballing him at $120 and decided to call the deal off and put them on ebay. I bid and 6 days later won the rearsets for $110. I gave him the original $120 because I am a good sport about things but sometimes weird concidences happen.

Edited by - geeto67 on Dec 19 2007 10:04:55 AM

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:
Completely off topic, but Red's from down under. What's the car Max drives in Mad Max & Road Warrior?
the yelow one was '74 Falcon, the black one's also a Falcon in GT351 trim. The bikes were all kawasakis.

"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion." -Edward Abbey

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I'm not sure I'm buyin' that from you. Falcon what? Like a Ford Falcon? And I didn't ask about bikes. Every bike in that movie is a Kawasaki? I just watched "Road Warrior" Last night. It's one of those movies that never gets old.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The original Mad Max movie used Austrialian Ford Falcons (XB's I think either way they are third generations, which are more like our torinos than falcons and which were only produced in aussieland) and the big black bad mutha at the end was a Falcon GT with a special nose.

if you want to see more about aussie falcon GTs:

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_ford_falcon_gt.htm

and the mad max car:

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/interceptor/history1.html

14 of the motorcycles were donated for the film by kawasaki, so the majority of them are a kawasakis. Goose rides a kawi triple as his personal bike and a 1977 kz1000 as his mfp bike. Most of the biker gang rides kawasakis too, mostly KZs. Except for Toe cutter and the creepy blond guy the bikers in the gang are actually the Vigilantes, an aussie biker gang from that time.

Like American Falcons? After for discontinued the falcon line it continued to produce the 1962 model in Argentina where they were continously produced until the mid 1990s with only minor styling upgrades:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(Argentina)

unfortunatly the only 2 door in that lineup was the old flacon based ranchero. Still I would love to have a 1962 falcon here with one of those second gen 1970 front ends just to be different:

http://galerias.netfirms.com/galmodel.htm

how ugly is a modern (1991) falcon:

http://galerias.netfirms.com/galmodel.htm

Edited by - geeto67 on Dec 19 2007 11:28:21 AM

Edited by - geeto67 on Dec 19 2007 11:29:06 AM

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Most humble apologies, Matt. Seems you are indeed useful for something. Thanks Geeto - very interesting, and cool photos. Considering what was available here in the late '70s early 80s, those foreign Falcons don't look so bad. The stunning friend Kim, mentioned in my own Interceptor thread yesterday, had a thing for (American) Falcons about 15yrs ago, when we were roomies. She's paying me a visit Mon, by the way. She has nothing to do with anything, but I'm out of beer. Maybe I should post her picture, if there's any interest.

Like I said, I'm out of beer.

Edited by - judeyramone on Dec 19 2007 12:09:26 PM

1 - 20 of 36 Posts