Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
why would you use anything but keihin jets in a keihin carb?
Real Keihin jets are getting harder to find. And even when you THINK you are buying Keihin brand jets, sometimes you find they are aftermarket jets...

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I can see this happening even more in the future as carburetors become even more obsolete. There is no money in selling replacement parts for antiques, because you need customers that are still using their antiques enough to wear out the parts. Same reason I gave up riding vintage motorcycles :/ once they become rare they become too easy and expensive to break.

Try your local scrap yard, they likely have dozens of them sitting under a snowbank very soon

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
56 Posts
right now i have 125’s, i just put in a wiseco 810 kit with the gpz750 cams. i have sizes down to about 110. not sure how the kit and cams will effect jetting . im looking to get 128’s thru 140’s just to cover everything. just in case. so thats 128, 130, 132, 135, 138, 140 times 4 times $$$$$. per jet. if someone knows that the ebc jets are crap, there you have it , ill go with keihin jets, i dont want to wreck a new race engine. but if the drillings on the ebc jets are correct maybe i cansave a little jingle. play on player
i am no expert on carburetors. when i buy an unfamiliar carb, i ask for the general recommendation based on the venturi, cylinder capacity, and anticipated rpm, and then buy at least three up and three down in jet sizes to have a range to test. there's no5oo way to know without testing. i had my race bike on a dyno one time, and the jets the operator recommended were three sizes too small for what i eventually set course records with. even now i may change jets several times a day based on engine behavior and RAD at the moment.

you can save money in lots of places, but i would suggest that carburetor jets are one place where you should spend the money. you can't tune a motor if the jets aren't consistent, and tuning is all about being able to test one thing while everything else is held constant.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hey folks ignore this. it's a . . test of forum software.

test over. thank you

·
Registered
56 Posts
fuck this software. here's a post i submitted that the admin bots won't allow to appear.

Real Keihin jets are getting harder to find. And even when you THINK you are buying Keihin brand jets, sometimes you find they are aftermarket jets...

maybe this is a sourcing problem? i run 35mm keihin FCRs in an old triumph bonneville LSR machine, and i buy all my keihin parts from sudco. sudco is an authorized distributor for both keihin and mikuni, and their jets come straight from the manufacturer, so that's about as insured against counterfeits as you can get for a design that's pushing 30 years.

having said that, even sudco can't get jets for obscure keihin applications. i've had to buy primary jets for my kids old 1971 honda CL100 keihin off the internet because sudco told me that they were manufacturer-only at this stage. perhaps this is the problem you're talking about? sudoc has told me that virtually all teh amazon and ebay keihin jets are counterfeits these days, so if that's the only source, then that can be a problem.

dennis kirk and others sell EBC primry jets for that same 1971 honda CL100, so in that case they may be the best of the aftermarket choices.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
holy fucking hat. all i asked is if ebc jets where any fucking good. i had hoped someone who knows/ had used them could chime in with there 2 cents. a simple yes or no would be good, i dont need advice on how to tune/ build or race motorcycles. this is why we cant have nice things, carry on . thanks trials and rich for your help .

·
Registered
56 Posts
tell me about it. i race as well, and i am my own builder, tuner, and rider

EBC claims that their keihin jets are high quality.

are they better than OEM keihin jets?

i don't know. the only way to know is to test them yourself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i called sudco earlier this morning and asked.

according to them, the primary problem with bootleg jets for both keihin and mikuni was incorrect orifice per labeling of the jets.

this was exacerbated by public descriptions of the counterfeits, which were used by the counterfeiters to refine the product. the same problem obtains with NGK spark plug counterfeits, which get better whenever their mistakes are publicized..

as it stands now, i would buy keihin jets only from keihin suppliers, and blame only myself if counterfeits caused me problems. if the application is no longer supported by keihin, i think an apparently reputable supplier like ECB would be the next best. but i have no experience to apply to that company.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts