Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Well damned if this didn't just become the most useless thread ever.

Everybody needs to push away from the keyboard and go riding.

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
56 Posts
"according to them, the primary problem with bootleg jets for both keihin and mikuni was incorrect orifice per labeling of the jets." <- That's another way of saying they did not drill the hole the right size when they made it.
could have been drilling the wrong hole in a pre-stamped jet or stamping the wrong numbers on a pre-drilled jet. the result is the same but the sudco guy distinguished them for some reason.

even if the hole is the right size the shape of the orifice entrance will affect the flow. amal and mikuni jets are rated by cc per minute , and might flow differently from some other jet with the same diameter hole but a different shape. that's why pilot jets with buggered screw slots can flow differently from new ones.

EBC says their jets are flow-calibrated, so if they're telling the truth their jets should be fine.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
When you buy from the OEM manufacturer you are paying for the design and the quality control. Components are built to spec with tolerances indicated where required, entire manufacture process is going to be ISSO so they can manufacture or subcontract the product anywhere. Replacement parts markup is usually 300% minimum, over the price of what you paid for the entire carburetor.

When you buy from a reputable name supplier or manufacturer that for all we know might even be the original supplier :/ you are paying for the quality control and the manufactured product. Is EBC a reputable brand :/ pretty good in my experience (y)

and yes a jet is not a simple hole.
fwiw: Old timers used various sized sewing needles and spun those into the hole to enlarge it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When you buy from a reputable name supplier or manufacturer that for all we know might even be the original supplier :/ you are paying for the quality control and the manufactured product. Is EBC a reputable brand :/ pretty good in my experience (y)
sometimes there are odd connections with that. mikuni and amal were linked under the same corporation dating back to the 1930s, and so engineering developments would appear across company lines. the same man who designed the VM mikuni carburetor also did the amal mark2, which explains why they are so similar.

i was told once that they shared main jets as well, but a look at the amal website doesn't show anythjing that i've ever seen in a mikuni.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hey dirk

i apologize if i came across as rude in my reply to you about jet quality. it wasnt my intention. its just that there is no answer to yiur question that has validity except by doibg it yourself. if you erace you know this.

i didnt mean to come across as an ass

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
just put in a 810 kit with the gpz cams that dont have the tach drive on them. whats a good 4 cylinder tach? scitsu i like. maybe something cheaper.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
just put in a 810 kit with the gpz cams that dont have the tach drive on them. whats a good 4 cylinder tach? scitsu i like. maybe something cheaper.
I bought some boxes of parts the other day, some race parts and in them is an older aftermarket tach. I just took a quick glance, it's a nice looking unit, but was just opening boxes to see what was there. I'll take a better look at it tomorrow and see if it's junk or gold.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
They didn't put their name on it
I bought some boxes of parts the other day, some race parts and in them is an older aftermarket tach. I just took a quick glance, it's a nice looking unit, but was just opening boxes to see what was there. I'll take a better look at it tomorrow and see if it's junk or gold.
No luck, it's cheap crap in a nice case.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
thanks for looking ,,,,,picked up a scitsu for $140 shipped

21 - 34 of 34 Posts