Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so, I suppose I'm not the only guy on here with a weakness for blowing money I don't have on motorcycle parts. As much fun as it is to slag on ebay, sometimes, well you know...

My point is: Capital One are a bunch of BASTARDS. I always pay at least 1 1/2 times the minimum payment and I always pay on time. Well, almost always on time. Last month, I zoned and almost forgot to make my payment, so I paid a HALF HOUR late (that's right, my online payment receipt says "5:32 pm"), on the day it was due, on a Wednesday (in other words, next day was a business day). Got hit with a $40 late charge AND this "delinquency" was reported on my credit rating.

Now, I don't expect any sympathy from a fucking bank. And I realize the late charge and the delinquency reporting processes were both probably completely automated. But that shit is just COLD.

Honda go sideways!

http://groups.google.com/group/co-ohvinmoto

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Call customer service and ask to have the late fee waived. It works so long as you don't have too many late payments.

Once you have gotten the fee waived, call again and ask them to send a letter to the credit bureaus (Experian, TransUnion, Equifax) retracting the report of a late payment. Be businesslike and persistent.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Call customer service and ask to have the late fee waived. It works so long as you don't have too many late payments.

Once you have gotten the fee waived, call again and ask them to send a letter to the credit bureaus (Experian, TransUnion, Equifax) retracting the report of a late payment. Be businesslike and persistent.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
call. definitely. They'll fix it. just tell em you'll transfer your account to another card.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
call. definitely. They'll fix it. just tell em you'll transfer your account to another card.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
After years of 24% interest payments on a fairly small balance (less then $3000), my wife & I rolled our credit card debt into a home refinance and have now lived without any credit cards at all, for over 5 yrs. We have 1 debit visa card, which I occasionally use for online purchases, but usually (eBay - usually less than $20) send cash or money order via usps. I pay for everything with real cash, out of my pocket. Buying with a credit card is too easy because it doesn't feel like real money, and it's the biggest racket going. I'm sure everyone has heard the example about the $10 purchase, paying the minimum payment, ending up taking 18yrs to pay it off at a total cost of $1000. I'm exagerating, but if everybody did the math & found out how much things truly cost, all credit cards would probably be out of business.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
After years of 24% interest payments on a fairly small balance (less then $3000), my wife & I rolled our credit card debt into a home refinance and have now lived without any credit cards at all, for over 5 yrs. We have 1 debit visa card, which I occasionally use for online purchases, but usually (eBay - usually less than $20) send cash or money order via usps. I pay for everything with real cash, out of my pocket. Buying with a credit card is too easy because it doesn't feel like real money, and it's the biggest racket going. I'm sure everyone has heard the example about the $10 purchase, paying the minimum payment, ending up taking 18yrs to pay it off at a total cost of $1000. I'm exagerating, but if everybody did the math & found out how much things truly cost, all credit cards would probably be out of business.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Capital One does suck badly... I have perfect, I mean perfect A-1, super duper credit. I run large balances and make large payments. I'm a credit cards dream customer. Capital one slowly raised my rate from 11% to 19% over the course of a year or so....no reason, just knew they could get away with it, and as my balance was coming down they knew they had a limited amount of time to squeeze me. I transferred the whole amount to another card at 6%. Capital was all hurt and disappointed and kept calling to get my business back. I told them...give me the same rate as the other card and we might be in business...nope can't do that.... so I said bye bye.

I'm with Citi and American Express now....and Citi is slowly doing the same thing with the interest rate. Basically they just hope you don't notice and keep paying the bill. I run a combined balance of about $10K and make payments of about $2k per month. It's not unusual for me to buy a piece of equipment that costs $3000, so running the balance is just the cost of doing business. I don't mind until they start screwing with the rates.

I'm looking at spending $21,000 on a CNC milling machine maybe next year....it will have to make $500/month to pay for itself...so get your projects ready to order :)
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Capital One does suck badly... I have perfect, I mean perfect A-1, super duper credit. I run large balances and make large payments. I'm a credit cards dream customer. Capital one slowly raised my rate from 11% to 19% over the course of a year or so....no reason, just knew they could get away with it, and as my balance was coming down they knew they had a limited amount of time to squeeze me. I transferred the whole amount to another card at 6%. Capital was all hurt and disappointed and kept calling to get my business back. I told them...give me the same rate as the other card and we might be in business...nope can't do that.... so I said bye bye.

I'm with Citi and American Express now....and Citi is slowly doing the same thing with the interest rate. Basically they just hope you don't notice and keep paying the bill. I run a combined balance of about $10K and make payments of about $2k per month. It's not unusual for me to buy a piece of equipment that costs $3000, so running the balance is just the cost of doing business. I don't mind until they start screwing with the rates.

I'm looking at spending $21,000 on a CNC milling machine maybe next year....it will have to make $500/month to pay for itself...so get your projects ready to order :)
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Custom CNC projects? If that's a real invitation, I might have to open one of the dozens of pre-approved credit card apps that keep coming to my mailbox. I have a very vivid imagination.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Custom CNC projects? If that's a real invitation, I might have to open one of the dozens of pre-approved credit card apps that keep coming to my mailbox. I have a very vivid imagination.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I hope to be able to create and keep in stock numerous kind of universal vintage racing parts. Steering damper mounts, gauge mounts, spacers, mounting plates for various things, DIY intake manifold flanges, lightweight chain tensioners etc. Then do one off, or few off, more complex stuff. Hopefully vintage racing parts will be a small part of the total business. I'd prefer to deal mostly with local manufacturers for small batch, expedited orders for big money.

Wouldn't mind experimenting with producing some needed items like CB350 cam bearings, just copies of the OEM part. Basically I'll stick with parts in which the machine can do 80% of the work.

A lot of the stuff I do on my manual machines that takes say...two hours...a CNC machine could do in 15 mins without me touching it.

For instance...takes me about 1.5 hours to setup and vent/lighten a brake drum...once I made the CNC file the machine could do it in 10 minutes without me touching a single thing.

Stuff like custom alloy triple trees would become a possibility, but still would be quite expensive, lots of metal to remove, and you'd start with a pretty large expensive chunk of aluminum. And doing up the CNC file for a one-off would be pretty time consuming, specially if it was a single purpose part that wouldn't readily adapt to other bikes.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I hope to be able to create and keep in stock numerous kind of universal vintage racing parts. Steering damper mounts, gauge mounts, spacers, mounting plates for various things, DIY intake manifold flanges, lightweight chain tensioners etc. Then do one off, or few off, more complex stuff. Hopefully vintage racing parts will be a small part of the total business. I'd prefer to deal mostly with local manufacturers for small batch, expedited orders for big money.

Wouldn't mind experimenting with producing some needed items like CB350 cam bearings, just copies of the OEM part. Basically I'll stick with parts in which the machine can do 80% of the work.

A lot of the stuff I do on my manual machines that takes say...two hours...a CNC machine could do in 15 mins without me touching it.

For instance...takes me about 1.5 hours to setup and vent/lighten a brake drum...once I made the CNC file the machine could do it in 10 minutes without me touching a single thing.

Stuff like custom alloy triple trees would become a possibility, but still would be quite expensive, lots of metal to remove, and you'd start with a pretty large expensive chunk of aluminum. And doing up the CNC file for a one-off would be pretty time consuming, specially if it was a single purpose part that wouldn't readily adapt to other bikes.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Was working this morning and it struck me that I'd forgot to pay one of my cards. Lucky for me, when I came home for lunch it's stuck on my bulletin board marked paid.

I pay all my cards online and try to do it ahead of the due date. With my cards anyhow, if you pay them after a certain time on the due date they're late. If you schedule the payment ahead of time it doesn't come out until after the close of business. Sometimes I can get a day or two of float that way.

Branson I don't know what the banks are like in your area but here's how I operate. I have a couple cards that I use for business that I pay off every month. I have two lines of credit with my bank. One for my rentals, one for the carwash. I get 30-45 days free money w/my cards and then roll any I'm short onto one of my LoCs. My interest rate on the LoCs floats w/prime rate, I'm currently paying 7.25%. I'd talk to your banker about a revolving line of credit instead of using cards for equipment purchases.

Speaking of eBay and cards that suck. When I bought the chambers for my 550 I signed up for the Paypal credit card because they were running the six months no interest deal. When I read the disclaimer/disclosure deal that comes in the mail, that card is the most predatory fucking thing I have ever seen. I paid it off a month early just to give myself time to dispute it because I was sure the last payment was gonna get lost, be late or something. I will never use that card again, but I always read their cardholder ammendment things when they come. I'm amazed at the ways they come up with to screw people.

Edited by - Ratty-550 on Dec 15 2007 5:40:21 PM

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Was working this morning and it struck me that I'd forgot to pay one of my cards. Lucky for me, when I came home for lunch it's stuck on my bulletin board marked paid.

I pay all my cards online and try to do it ahead of the due date. With my cards anyhow, if you pay them after a certain time on the due date they're late. If you schedule the payment ahead of time it doesn't come out until after the close of business. Sometimes I can get a day or two of float that way.

Branson I don't know what the banks are like in your area but here's how I operate. I have a couple cards that I use for business that I pay off every month. I have two lines of credit with my bank. One for my rentals, one for the carwash. I get 30-45 days free money w/my cards and then roll any I'm short onto one of my LoCs. My interest rate on the LoCs floats w/prime rate, I'm currently paying 7.25%. I'd talk to your banker about a revolving line of credit instead of using cards for equipment purchases.

Speaking of eBay and cards that suck. When I bought the chambers for my 550 I signed up for the Paypal credit card because they were running the six months no interest deal. When I read the disclaimer/disclosure deal that comes in the mail, that card is the most predatory fucking thing I have ever seen. I paid it off a month early just to give myself time to dispute it because I was sure the last payment was gonna get lost, be late or something. I will never use that card again, but I always read their cardholder ammendment things when they come. I'm amazed at the ways they come up with to screw people.

Edited by - Ratty-550 on Dec 15 2007 5:40:21 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
given that my job is somewhat bureaucratic in nature I kinda have my own system for dealing with the credit card's rigid deadline. I have found that if you do not setup automatic electronic billing but keep everything paper mail that they give you an extra 5 days grace period (you may want to check with your credit card company to make sure about this since I don't have capital one). This doesn't mean I don't pay online, I do but I do it through an e-check at my bank. I still get the 5 days grace period past deadline of snail mail and get the convenience of paying online. I send them a check via snail mail every couple of months to remind them I am not an electronic customer.

I also call the credit card company ever three months and ask them to lower my rate. So far they have lowered it twice this year, and when they can't sometimes the give me a limited promotional rate that they are running for new card members. Works about ever 3 or 4 times I call. It is too bad they require this much attention but it beats taking it up the poop chute because of their rigid rules.

Krapfever....now that you have paid late I am almost certain they have jacked up your rate. you better call them monday and see if they have changed it and then have them lower it. The rate jack (to the highest possible maximum) happens automatically but if you don't jump on it right away they get to charge you all that time between your last statement and the new statement when they intend for you to find out about it. Tricky bastards.

this year I have vowed to pay all my cards off and in 2008 I am going back to cash only. If you are savvy you can get all sorts of discounts for paying cash (this has kind of gone away but I usually find a way to make older retailers remember the old way of doing business on medium to big ticket items). Remember cash is always an advantage because if nothing else it is immediate.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts