Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Hey, yellow lenses aren't always hipster bait...
It's called Selective yellow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_yellow

the basic concept is that in low light low visibility situations visibility is improved by removing the short blue light wavelength from the spectrum by tinting the lens yellow. Simply put Blue light contributes to glare, removing the glare removes some of the visual density of fog.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

the basic concept is that in low light low visibility situations visibility is improved by removing the short blue light wavelength from the spectrum by tinting the lens yellow. Simply put Blue light contributes to glare, removing the glare removes some of the visual density of fog.
Hence why many fog lights have yellow lenses.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
And dont get me started on hats, I'm a hat guy and always have been, since I was a kid. I think it started the first time I saw a video of Sinatra crooning beautiful women. I wanted to look like him so I started wearing a suit and fedora. Now every douche wagon wears a Trilby, calls it a fedora and ruins that for me too.

View attachment 20094
Thank you EWS. I have asked kids what they called those hats with the 1-1 1/2 inch brim and they say Fedora. I know they are not Fedoras, as you show Boggie wore a fedora, along with all the other private eyes and Indianna Jones. Now I know it is called a Trilby.

Learn something new every day. I never cared for Trilbys, especially with the little feather sticking out of its side.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Lol, it's like calling a Chevette a Chevelle. Fedora's are worn by men and Trilby's are worn by ass hats that live in their parents basements until they are 40. No offense intended to anyone still living in their parents basement lol

Reactions: drgonzo

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I've seen a few bikes now rolling around town, bike that are supposed to be a "cafe" bike, with electrical tape on the headlight in an X pattern. Now I get the purpose of this on a track, keep the glass together in an accident. But in town, I think they just look like a giant tool. I mean unless you ride in such a way that getting in a wreck is more likely. But hey, I guess what ever floats their boats. This, among other things, just bugs me. But then Im a judgmental prick so oh well lol
Real track bikes don't have lights.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts

I'm curious whether or not the lamin-x yellow falls into that spectrum of yellow... my reasoning for having the yellow film on the headlight is two-fold: first being that it serves as a bit of protection for the headlight (after having one broken by a kicked up rock) and second, it's far and away more visible/stands out more to other drivers vs the regular headlight.

Reactions: conghos

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I wonder what endurance racers use at night?
they need a night vision endurance race where all the bikes have IR floodlights and the riders use night vision devices... depth perception be damned!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
It's all just one big high speed blur anyways.
driving with NVD's isn't hard once you get used to it. The challenge is when there's traffic around with regular lights on. When I was an OC at JRTC down in fort Polk, all the driving we did was blackout. Even with no moon out, the IR floodlights made it super easy to see... unless some asshole left out concertina wire with no chemlights on it and you had to spend the next hour cutting wire out from around your axle.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts