Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading about making your own home made ETM on ohiocaferacer.com last night and had a few questions. No, i am not up to my armpits in coil windings, just trying to understand a few things. The guy made reference to a primary and secondary coil. so, uh, my primary coil is the one under my tank, going to the spark plug? or is that the secondary with primary being on the stator? sounds like a cool trick, maybe a little much for my needs. just trying to learn.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang, ROSKO, it looks like we are the only ones who give a damn. I've read Hoyt's (is that someone this site?) article a bunch followed by G Jennings a bunch of times and vice versa and it is getting a little clearer but like you said
quote:THE GORDON JENNINGS ARTICLE AND HOYT'S WRITE UP ARE ALMOST ENOUGH INFO TO MAKE ONE.
Key words: "ALMOST ENOUGH"
Still interested just barely deterred...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found this
http://www.strappe.com/ignition.html
near the bottom he gives a brief synapsis of each system that fills in the gaps.
primary and secondary coil are both the under your tank type "coil". makes sense when you think about it as a transformer, cause that is what it is.
he made it sound like you really had to kick the snot out of it to get it going, while Hoyt and GJ made it sound like it would really spark just by turning it with a wrench. maybe has something to do with rotor position in relation to points opening...OWW it feels like im learning. but could also be guessing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts