Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Geeto,
I still have my Scion to sell.
I decided to scale back on the 'toys'and get down to one car and one bike (FZ & 996).
I'm not done having fun on the FZ yet, so no more toys til the Scions gone and the FZ is finished.... and gone.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Unless you live in a very congested city or are a newbie rider I wouldn't suggest the RE as an only bike.

Not that it wouldn't be great at it, but going from a 80hp FZ-something 1980's sportbike to a 29 hp 500cc single is going to feel as satisfying as going from piloting an F4 phantom to flying a kite in the park.

For saavy riders it makes an excellent second bike/city runabout (esp with a small rack on the back). But for single bike/multi-lane road work there will be plenty of times you'll wish it was just a little faster - most of these higher speed situations.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if people look at an Enfield and see a Gold Star. The Enfields were originally designed as a get you to work and back plonker with absolutely no sporting pretensions. To think they are a freeway cruiser or canyon carver is something that should not be indulged in. Look where they are made. India. Fixable in a field with a big hammer and a screwdriver. Would I own one? You bet. But strictly as an around town bike.

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats exactly why my friend bought one, just to plod round town and do a few errands on, he also has a Kawasaki 1400 cruiser thats he rides on runs, he does lots of touring on that.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Exactly. As I get older Ive come to realize there's no point in buying "unnecessary" vehicles.
I was pretty close to buying a new STI WRX but when it came down to it it was a waste of performance on me. Yeah, I like to think I'd be out tearing up the back roads in it, but in the end, I do that maybe 3-4 times a year.
The bike is kinda the same for me: I basically say "yeah, take the bike to work, you can cut out and go for a nice ride on the twistys." and inevitably I get stuck at work. No twistys.
I love the FZ! And until my wife or daughters start asking to hop on the back, I'll keep it around.
I do like those REs for exactly the reasons stated, just to putt around. I may be coming across some garage space soon, so who knows.

Anyone know anyone looking for an old spec 125 kart chassis? Cheap cheap :)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Hoofhearted

Sometimes I wonder if people look at an Enfield and see a Gold Star. The Enfields were originally designed as a get you to work and back plonker with absolutely no sporting pretensions. To think they are a freeway cruiser or canyon carver is something that should not be indulged in. Look where they are made. India. Fixable in a field with a big hammer and a screwdriver. Would I own one? You bet. But strictly as an around town bike.
I was having a conversation with Rob I. Not to long ago and he couldn't understand why the factory couldnt get 50hp out of the new RE. He said if the G50 could do it, and a gold star in race trim could do it, why didn't RE make a racer version that makes at the very least mid 30s. I mean even the sr500 was closer to 40 hp than 20hp.

We are a speed obsessed society. Our sales depend on whether the current thing was faster than the last thing. So a 29hp motorcycle sounds in theory like a limp dick. In truth the bike is a punchy little upstart perfect for roads with a lot of lights and medium traffic.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

We are a speed obsessed society. Our sales depend on whether the current thing was faster than the last thing. So a 29hp motorcycle sounds in theory like a limp dick. In truth the bike is a punchy little upstart perfect for roads with a lot of lights and medium traffic.
My argument against this is there's a lot of other motorcycles I could buy for the same money (or less) that would serve in the around town role as well as doing highway duty and would be as reliable if not more so than the Indian built Enfield. They are neat motorcycles and I love the stuff Leo has done with the Badger but if I had $2,500 to $4,500 bucks set aside for a motorcycle purchase, an Enfield would probably not be first on the list.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts

I was having a conversation with Rob I. Not to long ago and he couldn't understand why the factory couldnt get 50hp out of the new RE. He said if the G50 could do it, and a gold star in race trim could do it, why didn't RE make a racer version that makes at the very least mid 30s. I mean even the sr500 was closer to 40 hp than 20hp.
If you look back at the Royal Enfield history It was not a "sporting" manufacturer. Norton, Matchless and BSA always were sporting manufacturers. Back in the 60s Enfield jumped onto the two stroke racer bandwagon with disastrous results. Steve Linsdell made Enfields fly. His son, Ollie, was racing at the Manx GP last week and lapped his Enfield pushrod single at 106 mph. But the factory never appeared to have any interest in making fast Enfields.

Diamondj. A Hayabusa will idle around town and buzz up to 180. Sounds like a way better deal than an Enfield.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Diamondj

My argument against this is there's a lot of other motorcycles I could buy for the same money (or less) that would serve in the around town role as well as doing highway duty and would be as reliable if not more so than the Indian built Enfield. They are neat motorcycles and I love the stuff Leo has done with the Badger but if I had $2,500 to $4,500 bucks set aside for a motorcycle purchase, an Enfield would probably not be first on the list.
that's I think the problem - the bike carries a premium for being new and having a warranty but its principal market doesn't really value the warranty the same way - the principal market being old bike guys. The real principal market, entry level 20-somethings who want trendy looking transport, has yet to even know that RE is a company that makes motorcycles. The smartest thing vespa did was align itself with the fashion industry instead of the motorcycle industry. A vespa is a fashion accessory, triumph is becoming a fashion accessory, why isn't enfield? it has way more curb appeal than a new bonneville.

I honestly think this is a way better alternative to a vespa - it is just as trendy looking, and in NY there are the same requirements. The problem is marketing, for some reason people who have enfield dealers either don't know how to market or don't have the time/resources. I tried to do this with the NYC enfield dealer and was met with an uphill battle by the dealer all the way (can you imagine a GQ article where people don't tell you where to get the bike? crazy!).

I have yet to hear of any real problems with the UCE bullets and I read the enfield boards pretty regularly, so I don't know what this reliablity crack is about. I will say this - how reliable your enfield is all depends on how good the dealer is that puts it together, they do require a little bit extra prep right out of the crate.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
and Jim,

Not a slight but I would like to know what NEW bike you would rather have for $5500 (retail for the most basic RE)?

Used examples are running about $2500-$3000 so if you want to go used for used what used bike around $3000 would you rather have.

Personally I would rather have a ZRX or an 1100 zeypher but that's because both bikes are fairly large and can do highway work and I really do look like a bear on a tricycle on an enfield. I wouldn't call eitther a zr1100 or a zrx a pop around town city bike.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts

and Jim,

Not a slight but I would like to know what NEW bike you would rather have for $5500 (retail for the most basic RE)?
Hmmm... good question. Not much in the way of new bikes really interests me these days. I suppose I could find a leftover DR-Z400 at the Suzuki dealer for about the same money. I checked the Enfield site and their base model has an MSRP of $5,999. The C5 Classic has an MSRP of $6,495. By comparison the Honda NC700X has an MSRP of $6,999 which is not much of a difference for a lot more motorcycle.

Used at $3,000 an SV650 is just as user friendly as the RE (plus it has 70hp on tap). Maybe a 600 Hurricane in decent shape? Hell, if I spent some time shopping I could probably find a Hinckley built Triumph Trident for 3 to 4 thousand. You mentioned the ZRX. There's loads of nice GS1100's under the $3,000 mark. Plus plenty of 600 sport bikes in varying condition.

And you realize new the Ninja 250 is priced at least a thousand bucks less than the base RE and makes just 4 less horsepower? So I agree with you that RE should be looking at how they market themselves. Personally, I think they should have had a cafe kitted demo fleet at Mid-Ohio this year. Maybe an EZ credit sign-up booth next door, with a rock-a-billy band, a fish and chip wagon with Ace cafe decor, and some Royal Enfield go-go dancers in white boots and mini-skirts helping the faithful fill out those loan forms. Show the punters PT Barnum lives on and sell the shit out of some Enfields in the process... After all, the "lifestyle" crap works pretty well for Harley.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
quote:Originally posted by CaTacL1sm

I must admit, I am completely in love with this. (royal enfield continental concept)

They look like V rated Avon tires. The Enfield won't endanger them in any way. Lovely looker. If they could give the engine a performance to match I could fall for one.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts