Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The funny thing is they offer "kits", for $2-$3K called Cafe Racer or Continental, and both have drum up front. Taking it from disc to drum for MORE money, ya can't get more hipster than that.

The Continental is actually kinda nice looking.
[
]

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The above bears a striking resemblance to the Continental GT 250 of the mid 60s. This was a two pronged bike. The learner law in England limited learners to 250cc and the cafe racer craze was at its height.

By weslake at 2012-08-29

·
Registered
745 Posts
When did these fucks put royal on? They were only enfield for the last forever out if india. Has to be social climbing sales nostalgia crap again. Fuck it, i'm sold on the concept, someone mail me an avenger badge for my gpz or a dkw one for the MZ.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
In any incarnation they sold bikes here in the US they have always been Royal Enfield. In India i think they have always used the Royal as well, at least that was what the indians in charge of the company told me at the m/c show a couple of years ago.

the "Contentintal" kit was built exactly to replicate the old 250 continental GT on the old iron barrel bullet, or get as close as they can.

The old Iron barrel and AVL Lean burn was as close as you could get to buying a 1950's british bike from 1999-2009 (in the US, the RE has been available for longer elsewhere). They were made with old and outdated tooling and metallurgy that had all the same properties of WWII salvage, and thus you really got the 1950's expirence of having to fix it regularly if you didn't treat maintenance and break in like a cult religion. It was also a 16 hp bike and was in no way highway "safe".

The advantage was that you had 60 years of places like hitchcocks making performance parts and could get the old one lung to gold star territory (the DRS cycle race bike made 48 hp: http://www.bikervoodoo.com/2008/01/18/drs-cycle-royal-enfield-bullet-racer/ ). I remember reading years ago hitchcocks even had a 750cc kit for a while, though some found that impossible to kick over.

The old bikes really were tinkerer's bikes, you could own a 1950's motorcycle and not have the expense of having to restore the paint, rechrome everything, and rewire with japanese electrics. As such they appealed to like 10 people in any major city, and gave the brand a terrible reputation when people not familar with old bikes bought them. But they were cheap (I saw new Iron barrels sell for as little as $2200).

If RE made a 750cc version of their old interceptor I would rush out and buy one tomorrow. However, a 500cc bike with a price tag that can buy me an OIF BSA 650 isn't as appealing. I am just waiting till the UCE bikes get to be around $1500 and then I'll pick one up. If the bike budget ever has $1500 in it ever again.

That being said - the xs650 swaps I have seen for the old Bullets make me curious enough to want to pick up an old Iron barrel if one ever comes along for less than $1000.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by mickey356

Ah, thanks, Geeto. That makes much better sense, but now I'm trying it figure out what costs $2500? A tank, seat and bars? Yikes!!!
Actually the kits were pretty well thought out. IIRC correctly the cafe racer kit ($2725 initially, $2325 post revision) came with:

- fibreglass avon style "sport" fairing with all the brackets to mount it (or a fly screen if you so wished)
- chrome headlight shell
- highly polished alloy tank with cap
- fiberglass seat painted and upolstered
- aluminum front fender and mounts
- clipons
- shortended cables
- rearsets with linkages
- I think some came with a ped slicer plate but that may have been a dealer who added that
- drum brake bacon slicer plates.

Later kits deleted the fairing or fly screen and the bacon slicers in an effort to bring the price down (removed $400).

It is actually a well thought out kit. The Contentintal still is $2700 msrp, and has nearly as much as the cafe kit. you couldn't buy all the pieces individually for less, but you could buy them indivdually if you just wanted the tank or the rearsets. All the parts were bolt on except the cafe kit's rear seat which needed a little modifying to fit.

the shame of it is that you can't use the old kits on the new bikes - they really were good looking.

I still see full boat contenental kit Iron barrels trade for about $5K (there is one on CL right now in NY for $6K obo) and to me when you think about what you get it isn't bad, just the performance isn't up to snuff.

·
Registered
185 Posts
GTO's comment about the "indians" he spoke with re: badging history of the Royal Enfield marque is a curious choice of words. The Indian motorcycle company badged and sold Royal Enfields as "Indians" in the mid-fifties.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Geets,
Sucks it doesn't fit the newer bikes.
Still seems a little steep but being that it's pretty much bolt on makes it nice, time is money. I'm guessing an aluminum tank is pricey.
I'd probably just throw on some different bars and rear sets and be done with it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Burns

GTO's comment about the "indians" he spoke with re: badging history of the Royal Enfield marque is a curious choice of words. The Indian motorcycle company badged and sold Royal Enfields as "Indians" in the mid-fifties.
Royal Enfield in the US has had a....unique...presence.

From 1955-1959 the Brockhouse Corporation imported Royal Enfield's entire line as rebadged Indians. These were not rebadged at the factory but by Brockhouse upon import (as far as I know). The models were Indian Chief, Trailblazer, Apache (all three were 700 twins), Tomahawk (500 twin), Woodsman (500 single), Westerner (500 single), Hounds Arrow (250 single), Fire Arrow (250 single), Lance (150 2-stroke single) and a 3-wheeled Patrol Car (350 cc single).

In 1960 AMC bought the Indian name when the Brockhouse marketing agreement expired and planned to distribute Matchless and AJS in US under the Indian name instead of Royal Enfield.

From 1960-1963 Royal Enfield sold bikes in the US under the RE name through other importers.

Floyd Clymer began using the Indian name in about 1963 (AMC went into liquidation in 1962 so there wasn't anyone to stop him). Floyd's indians were minarelli mini bikes (Indian Papoose), Italjet motorcycles, and some RE models. He also played mix and match using the ItalJet Grifon Chassis to house Royal Enfield interceptor 700cc engines as well as Velocette Thruxton 500cc engines.

In 1970 RE england closed, stranding 200 interceptor engines on the loading dock. Mitchell's of Birmingham was the exporter of the engines and the order was on hold because Floyd Clymer had just died. So Mitchell's rang up the rickman brothers and sold them the lot of engines to which they made up frames and sold approx 70 Rickman Interceptors (IIRC).

So yeah, Royal Enfield has been here under other names, but that was not Royal Enfield's doing. Any time it has been the factory endorsed effort it was with the "Royal". Clymer's Indians were mis matched bikes, and Brockhouse's bikes were literally rebadged upon import. But I have never seen them just sold as "Enfield", though we all call them that for brevity.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by mickey356

Geets,
Sucks it doesn't fit the newer bikes.
Still seems a little steep but being that it's pretty much bolt on makes it nice, time is money. I'm guessing an aluminum tank is pricey.
I'd probably just throw on some different bars and rear sets and be done with it.
Mickey, have you seen a stock enfield?

you couldn't just throw bars and rear sets on most of the older bikes because they are spring saddle and that would be uncomfortable. Plus to do clipons and some clubmans you still need the headlight and gauge cluster because the stock bike has this molded headlight/front fork/ dash nacell they have been using from the 1950s. The newer G5 and the older sixty5 you could probably get away with doing RE's accessory clubman and rearsets because they have bench seats (and also disc brakes).

The main reason the old kits don't fit the new bikes is that there is no provision for a fuel pump. So if you found a fabricator who was willing to copy the steel tank's FI mounting system into the alloy tank you could use it in theory.

cafe racer magazine/TV built this RE cafe racer:

If you read this month's issue you discovered that although pretty the bike didn't really work right because they "over modified" it. Putting the fuel system back to stock and welding the bottom of the RE steel tank into the GS450 tank they were using solved the issues they had on TV. apparently the RE is also battery sensitive because when they switched from a 14 amp battery to an 8 amp batt nothing worked right including the tps.

I think this bike is well within the abilities of most savy motorcyclists to build. I totally want to buy one and mod it in a similar manner - I think the final weight was something like 260 lbs.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That feels a bit better. Thought my marbles were dissipating. Those fucks put royal on for you lot.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Enfield
The rest of the world were copping them pre 95 as enfield. Been a reader of "classic bike" and "the classic motor cycle" on and off since the 80's and it's strange to see them re rebadged. Or is it de rebadged? Or re derebadged?

Whatever way it's retro sales shit. Not claiming it doesn't work, just misplaced. Can't wait till they revive oldsmobile on a kia rio.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Never seen one up close, Geeto. I've seen them on the interwebs and liked them because they were "new-ish" but a little different. And I'm a small/medium displacement guy, not much interest in the bigger bikes. But now that you point it out I see that it's not as simple as R&R.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is my 2005 Royal Enfield. I know it isn't very fast and I never take it on the Freeway here in Seattle but I get around just fine and people seem to really like it. I get thumbs up all the time and people are always wanting to ask about it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'd like that bike to ride around town, but now you're making me reconsider with the attention thing. It's one of the reasons why I dumped the KZ I had, too much "is that a Triumph?" crap. It got to the point where I could sense people approaching before looking up.
Anyway, nice looking bike for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The funny and most absurd thing is the one and only time someone came up to me and asked if it was something other then and Enfield, ha told me I had a beautiful Goldstar!? I corrected him and said I wished I could afford a Goldstar but that this was a Royal Enfield.
This Picture was taken at the 2012 Seattle Mods and Rockers event put on by The Cretins motorcycle Club. Right after this pic was taken I received the trophy for Best Rocker!

Damon

21 - 40 of 44 Posts