Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Im going to try to explain this.

I start up the bike today and it ran fine for a few hours. Went somewhere, parked it for an hour. I started it back up to head home and it starts fine, no problems. It runs perfectly. Half way home, I press the clutch to change gears and the engine dies. Doesnt start up. I let it sit for a minute and apply the choke and it starts up but the engine seems like its, well choking. It dies out again, remove the choke and it starts right up like nothing ever happened. Drive it for a few more blocks and the exact same thing happens. It happened 5 or 6 times on my way home.

When it runs, its runs perfectly, without any problems. Oh and it only dies out when I press the clutch.

Anyone know what the hell is up?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I check the plugs and they are all black at the ends but dry which means Im running rich right? Could this be the problem cause when I first installed the plugs the bike ran perfectly and never stalled. Carbon on the plug causing it to stall?

Now, If I am running rich could it be that my air/fuel mixture on the carbs is not set correctly?

Edited by - drainyoo on May 14 2006 3:45:09 PM

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I suspect your problem is electrical. Always check whatever you fixed last. Since you just changed the bars and rerouted cables and wires, I bet you have a routing issue. When you pull the clutch in, it can cause the outer cable housing to move and if you have an electrical connector that is being moved it could cause your symptoms. The plugs looking rich could be caused by a poor ignition circuit. Check your wires and clutch cable routing.
Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:
I suspect your problem is electrical. Always check whatever you fixed last. Since you just changed the bars and rerouted cables and wires, I bet you have a routing issue. When you pull the clutch in, it can cause the outer cable housing to move and if you have an electrical connector that is being moved it could cause your symptoms. The plugs looking rich could be caused by a poor ignition circuit. Check your wires and clutch cable routing.
Ken

AHRMA 412
I was thinking that but this problem occurred before I changed the bars as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took out the plugs and cleaned them. The bike started up but it has no power at all and there is this loud clicking noise now. I really hope this engine isnt done.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:
how much gas is in the bike? if you switch to reserve (res) does it run again?
Tank is almost full. The bike runs, its stays on, but no power at all when riding it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well its not the plugs or the air filters. I blew out the air filters and I replaced the plugs and the bike is still giving me the same problems but now the clutch/gears are cause issues. Sometimes the bike doesnt go out of gear and sometimes when I rid the bike jumps out of gear. This is getting be really frustrating cause I cant even ride the bike anymore cause of all these issues. Im just going to drop the bike off at a shop and hope they can fix it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:
Listen to kenessex and check the wiring.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
Thing is, this problem happened before I changed the bars and if it was the electrical, then why would the bike run great then start dying out after riding it for a little?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just looked over the bike again and I noticed a few things.

1. The right cylinder seems not to be working at 100%. When I touch the right header it is a lot cooler than the left header. Its hot but its not scorching like the left one. Also, when I adjust the mix screw and idle screw on the right carb, nothing seems to change on the engine, but when I do the same to the left carb, there is change.

2. I was looking at the wiring and I found a severed wire. Its green and right behind the left air filter. It seems like its connected to something in the back on the bike like the tail light or something. The thing is, all the lights back there work just fine. I cant imagine that this could be cause all these problems.

Edited by - drainyoo on May 24 2006 2:01:51 PM

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
OK Drainyoo,
Here we go:
1 The green wire is a ground. All solid greens on Hondas are grounds. Your lights may be grounded through another wire for now. Fix the broken green.
2 The ignition is fairly simple to check. Are you getting spark on the right side? Is it good blue spark? Even so check the wires. I still believe it is related to clutch cable routing. Take off your fuel tank and check it out. Get the wires so they dont contact the cable when it is pilled or the handlebars are turned.
3 Check the blue and the yellow wire that go from the points to the coils. Make sure they are plugged securely into their connectors. If the one for the right coil is loose, then squeeze the female connector down a little and tighten it up. Also check the black wire that goes into the double connector for the coils. That is your hot lead and needs to be secure in its female connector also.
4 Check where the main wiring harness goes past the frame neck. The covering is prone to cracking and causing breaks in the harness. Check it out.
5 This is an old bike and don't assume that anything is good. If you are not prepared to figure this stuff out then this vintage bike might not be for you. You will go broke trying to pay someone to fix this for you and there is no guarantee that they know any more about this than you do. There are lots of parts changers out there that will be perfectly willing to spend your money for you on parts that you don't need.

6 Oh yeah, check to make sure that your points for the right side are not shorting out under load to either the points cover or the backing plate. Loosen up the wire at the points and make sure the connector is not touching anything besides the points screw. You can run it with the points cover off and see what you see.

Use some logic and I am sure that you can figure it out. I will finally be back to my bikes and garage tomorrow so I won't have to be working from memory on this and can help you out as you need it.

Good luck,
Ken

P.S. Listen to me. I know these things.

K

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok 1st i know it is frustrating But no matter how reliable a bike is it is going to break at some point just like any mechanical device.
Your job is to master the machine
3 things are needed to make a engine run
1. Compression
2. spark
3. fuel.
Have you pulled the plug and left it on the spark plug wire to see if you have spark. when you start it. If not then check points,coil, ground wire. Is there a main fuse some where is that good ?
If yes shoot a little starter fluid in the carb will it start.
If yes you got a carb problem ( use starter fluid sparingly )
Use this as a time to get to know your bike and leanr some basic trouble shooting.
Take a day off from the bike you might be suprised how much better it is to come at with a fresh apporoach

84 FJ110
77 CB50 Cafe bike now
76 parts bike
74 Suzuki t500 soon to be on the road

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks fellas. Im going to try all this out this weekend.

Maybe this bike just isnt for me. I love it but if I have to figure stuff like this out every month then its going to drive me mad. I enjoy doing simple things on the bike but Im not really experience or even have the drive to do this kind of stuff all the time. I just want this puppy to run so I have something to cruise on. Maybe Id be better off with buying a new bike.

Ill see how it goes. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Don't lose hope, these old beasts are VERY reliable. Once you get them to a certain point! The first time will take forever. After that you'll know its every 'character' trait.

Or, you could go for JUST a new bike, pay someone to wrench on it for you...

BUT YOU'D MISS OUT ON THE TOOLS! C'mon everyone here treasures their tools as much (if not more!) than the bikes they work on!

So, I'll say...

GET ONE OF EACH! a new bike for when the classic is unreliable, AND a classic for when the reliable gets boring!

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:

Maybe this bike just isnt for me. I love it but if I have to figure stuff like this out every month then its going to drive me mad. I enjoy doing simple things on the bike but Im not really experience or even have the drive to do this kind of stuff all the time. I just want this puppy to run so I have something to cruise on. Maybe Id be better off with buying a new bike.

Admittedly the learning curve on old bikes is very steep, just be glad you aren't cutting your teeth on a brit bike like I did, I almost gave up on motorcycles for good.

While I understand you are frustrated, you don't seem to be using the resources available to you. It is either do it yourself by yourself or send it to a shop. There are several people on this board who live close to you, I probably live the closest and have offered to come over and help.

I think part of your frustration comes from (based ont he questions you have asked) the fact that you seem to be doing a resto with just basic mechanical skills and no real knowledge of the quirks of the machine you are working on. My cb750 is the most relaible bike I know of and if you are not holding the throttle for the first 5 minutes of startup she won't run. I went to work on it with a long history of working on cars (I mean rebuilding engines, not just installing chrome doodads) and it still took me a year to figure everything out. This all goes faster when you have people in the know to help you out. A message board can only go so far and then someone else is going to need to see it in person and give you some advice.

but hey, it's your bike you do what you want with it. If you do decide to sell it give me a call.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
quote:
quote:

Admittedly the learning curve on old bikes is very steep, just be glad you aren't cutting your teeth on a brit bike like I did, I almost gave up on motorcycles for good.

While I understand you are frustrated, you don't seem to be using the resources available to you. It is either do it yourself by yourself or send it to a shop. There are several people on this board who live close to you, I probably live the closest and have offered to come over and help.

I think part of your frustration comes from (based ont he questions you have asked) the fact that you seem to be doing a resto with just basic mechanical skills and no real knowledge of the quirks of the machine you are working on. My cb750 is the most relaible bike I know of and if you are not holding the throttle for the first 5 minutes of startup she won't run. I went to work on it with a long history of working on cars (I mean rebuilding engines, not just installing chrome doodads) and it still took me a year to figure everything out. This all goes faster when you have people in the know to help you out. A message board can only go so far and then someone else is going to need to see it in person and give you some advice.

but hey, it's your bike you do what you want with it. If you do decide to sell it give me a call.
I know you have volunteer your services but I just havent had time yet to mess with it for a full day or so. I should this weekend. Will you be around? If so then lets do this!

Im not to restore the bike, its in pretty good shape. I just want to get the bike running and do some mods, nothing crazy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts