Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 R1200 GS, 62,000 Km on it. Seems to tick just behind the cylinder heads at idle. More so when hot. Quiets down when clutch lever is pulled and or rpm's raised. That low RPM is enough to rattle the wind screen a fair bit sooo, something slack or loose in the drive train when it's not engaged? It's just enough to annoy me and ponder imminent CIAOS DEATH CARNAGE AND EXPLOSIONS! . Any insight greatly appreciated as usual. Thanks

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Sounds either clutch or transmission. I have known a few air and oil heads where a rattle like that was a sign something in the tranny was failing. Since you can't do much with the clutch other than look inside an inspection hole - change your trans oil and look for metal. run a magnet through it if you must (you should have a magnetic drain plug on there too so look at that). You can even send the oil out to a place like blackstone labs for metal content analysis. IIRC it's the input shaft that rattles, and the input shaft bearings that usually fail when the noise increases, I think you can hear them on accel and decel when riding too if they are starting to go.

A lot of people will tell you it's just slack in the trans and they all do that....but I dunno. A lot of BMW owners tell me transmission failure at some point is a part of ownership too and I often wonder if they are related. FWIW, bmws in my experience (which is very limited) seem to at the very least require a good hard look at the transmission right around 50K miles (80,500km).

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
2004 R1200 GS, 62,000 Km on it. Seems to tick just behind the cylinder heads at idle. More so when hot. Quiets down when clutch lever is pulled and or rpm's raised. That low RPM is enough to rattle the wind screen a fair bit sooo, something slack or loose in the drive train when it's not engaged? It's just enough to annoy me and ponder imminent CIAOS DEATH CARNAGE AND EXPLOSIONS! . Any insight greatly appreciated as usual. Thanks
No idea because I’m not into those wretched things. If it was a Ducati or MG, you wouldn’t be able to hear yourself think over the clutch rattle. Even my bride goes what the hell is that?

Everything you didn’t want to read. https://advrider.com/f/threads/2005-r1200gs-clutch-noise.504553/

Hopefully it’s nothing.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Is a dry clutch so rattle within the clutch assembly itself is a possibility, I'm still on the original clutch with my 1986 K100RS and transmission has never given a lick of problem. That is either a good thing or neglect on my part I suppose, but on a 33 year old bike if it ain't broke don't fix it, just ride it ;) in fact I feel a ride coming on right now.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
my 1986 K100RS and transmission has never given a lick of problem. That is either a good thing or neglect on my part I suppose, but on a 33 year old bike if it ain't broke don't fix it, just ride it
probably because it is not an airhead....lol.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks for the input. I've read the other thread links and got "Meh, they all do it" to "Game OVER MAN" usual internet shit. As suggested I'll drop the gear oil and see if it's gritty shitty and glitter. I'm really enjoying this bike and need the confidence level up for a trip in August. Can't afford shop time, that would no doubt kick the shit out of the trip funds. Thanks again

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
lol well at least they figured out how to make one better.

Can you make it make noises when the engine is off bike on stand and turning the wheel in gear etc?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol well at least they figured out how to make one better.

Can you make it make noises when the engine is off bike on stand and turning the wheel in gear etc?
I'll look into that as well. Apparently they have shitty cam chain tensioners which are cheap and easy to replace though I don't think pulling the clutch in would effect that. Maybe it changes the vibration enough to shut'm up. Dunno? Shed has the lawn mower in it with it's guts falling out at the moment so have to wait till it stops raining to do anything.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dumped the oil and there was what I think is the usual deposits from regular wear and tear. I'll look at it a little closer but no chunks.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Never having heard it :I still think it might be a dry clutch throw bearing noise.

... beautiful day today, I rode until my back could no longer take it :|

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did an early morning run. Out by 7 am. No weekenders on the cottage roads. Lots of wild life and no traffic. Always good when you can get 3 hours in and and still be home for brunch. I'm going to record the sound and up load it. Going into 1st some times it just doesn't. Click and it stays in neutral. That's usually on start up after that it's fine. I'll rest my foot on the shifter and slowly let the the clutch out till it drops in. No grinding all smooth. Wonder if that is another symptom of the same issue.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
That sounds normal to me. Dogs are just randomly sitting so they won’t engage. Rotate them slightly and they’ll slide in. The Guzzi does that sometimes. Maybe not a good example. You’re going to have to sell it anyway.... have you started waking up in the middle of the night screaming?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I came to this site I'd owned 4 bikes in 40 years. Since then, one a year and it is only spring. You're an encourageable bunch and should be ashamed of yourselves.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Isn't it about 4 grand for a used entry level bike? Plus spare tires all the gear and knee surgery... Looks like another pit into which I would have to pour countless dollars. Luv the idea, though my loft (lack oh F#@$in talent) might also be a set back.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
It's a simple enough job to pull transmission, clutch, whatever.the hardest part I had was getting the ABS bled and working properly after removing entire rear end. The starter mount has a roll pin pressed into crankcase but it isn't in a blind hole so can allow starter to move out of correct engagement destroying the ring gear. Don't remember exact details but I think your supposed to grease all the splined bits at 60,000 miles. (100,000Km) As for the K series, friend of mine had over 250,000 on his K100 'flying brick' when he retired it. He's kept it for display as it started his company.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It'll have to start sounding quite a bit worse before I prep it for surgery but come winter it would be nice to get it sorted. There's a BMW owners group an hour down the road. I may go to one of their meets and get opinions from some one who owns the same bike. I'll be greasing the splines and rear end oil just before the a long haul we have planned for this year. Need to change the tire anyway. Cheers

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
.... There's a BMW owners group an hour down the road....
Say hi to Dieter I'm sure he must be a part of that group. I suspect the problem with BMW owners groups is most of them probably have deep pockets and don't really do their own hands-on servicing but that's just a guess, let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Say hi to Dieter I'm sure he must be a part of that group. I suspect the problem with BMW owners groups is most of them probably have deep pockets and don't really do their own hands-on servicing but that's just a guess, let me know how it turns out.
I have noticed that far to many throw money at whatever bugs'm till it goes away. That's not brand specific though. I was assured buy an older member that quite a few are hands on and eager to help anyone willing to make an effort. I'll go ears open and mouth shut and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts