Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

Someone posted an article on Gixxer.com that got me thinking and doing a little reading.

Apparently Ethanol has negative effects on non-specially treated rubber components such as fuel-lines, carburator parts and other materials such as fiberglass fuel tanks, etc.

Anyone aware of articles directly addressing the use of such fuels in vintage bikes?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
do a search, we talked about this several times, the last being a couple of months back.

honestly, why do you want to run ethanol? The only advantage is in a really high performance motor (like a dedicated high comp drag motor) it is pits for the street.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to run it.

But there isn't a gas-station in the area that sells straight Gas. I've called a dozen stations and even contacted corporate offices, no luck. I think PA might have a law saying its mandatory.

And when I did a search for "Ethanol" I found no thread of any serious discussion, just random mentions.

If you had a specific link to your previous discussions, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the amounts of ethanol they "cut" regular fuel with isn't enough to cause long tern damage provided you are using your bike. if let to sit in a bike (like storage) it tends to gum up the carbs faster than usual and can wear out the float bowl seals.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
They blend fuels for the climate and each state has a little bit different laws so this may only be true in Iowa; In Iowa they don't have to label it as ethanol unless it has ten percent or more alcohol in it. So pretty much all fuel(especially in the winter) has some in it.

The only problem I have personally seen with this is that some of the augers we sell have Briggs engines on them. The fuel will actually wick up the sides of the float bowl and eventually fill the motor with fuel. The only fix seems to be to turn the fuel off when the engine's not running. Which is a good habit anyhow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got word from a friend today that right now (between late April and early October) all stations will sell the 10% stuff no matter what (not a law but a heavy subsidy from the PA Government).

Oh well.

Just switch to a slightly richer jet?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
depends on the bike....if she is stock 10% should not make a difference....

..if you just had to have pods because they look oh so cool, well then, you should already know about the problems of jetting for pods and be prepared to do it all over again...maybe a needle change, maybe a jet, etc....

point is there is no easy solution for this shit. no ok I should rejet or oh no don't rejet. There is only put it in your bike and see if it makes a difference.

10%? well to me that doesn't seem like it should make any difference.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I know all car manufactures warranties are not voided if you run E-10 gas. However, cars typically run larger, liquid cooled engines. E-10, a leaner fuel, will result in small engines running hotter. So, I suspect, I will see my lawnmower or chainsaw blow up before my BMW R100 roadbike (air-cooled) and Ford Taurus Wanker Car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay,

In the area.

Sunoco runs E-10 as often as they can.

Citgo does not know, the manager does not know, but none of the pumps have the label... so I don't know.

BP does not sell E-10 in the summer, but does in the winter.

Sheetz is the same as BP but actually got one of their execs to email me back.

Most of our stores in the Pittsburgh area sell conventional gas only. We do not sell ethanol-blended gasoline at these stores due to regulatory Air Emission standards. Our Latrobe store sells conventional gas. However, it is likely that we will be selling E-10 gasoline (10% ethanol / 90% gasoline) once the summertime air emission standards are lifted in October. If you would like more information, please feel free to contact me at ###-###-####.

Dave Dodson

Fuel Quality Program Manager

1 - 11 of 11 Posts