Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
70388454_2560084640689754_1672693580570820608_o.jpg

wtf? my fingers are tingling just looking at that picture.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I guess I don't understand what the actual Eff that guy is doing. I mean if he has a legit reason to grind that wheel, could he not have at least taken it off the damn bike? Also hot sparks bouncing off a race tire, sounds like a grand idea...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was more worried about the electric grinder, a towel and fingers being twisted up and mangled...
Sorta like never wear gloves while operating a drill press. uggg....

I'll have to admit I've taken off riveted master links like that in a pinch all over the bike/engine.

BTW, the pics that come across the forum sometimes are just awesome.

https://www.caferacer.net/forum/members/12348-albums170-picture11045.jpg

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I thought it was never use your hands as a vise when operating a drill press.
... which probably applies even more to grinders and saws, they have these really cool things called vise-grips

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yea, I can see that going all sorts of wrong

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Looks to me like the chain he fitted is too long, so he's grinding out a pair of links to shorten it. ON bike is not unusual and if it's an endless chain, it beats removing wheel and swingarm.

I wonder what he plans on doing after he loses a couple of fingers? We have probably all done something equally unsafe at some time or another. Problem is that if we get away with it, we don't think we were lucky, we just think we are some sort of demigod and "learn" that we are invincible. And that lasts right up to the moment that we aren't.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I have a Motion Pro chain repair/rivet kit and if the ends of the chain pins are not ground off, the push pins chip, so I grind first and then press the pins out.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I've used angle grinder to remove endless chains. That is a terrible way to do it though. With a grinding disc it's dead easy to remove riveted 'heads' and push link out. With bike on lift, I just gring on lower run. You shouldn't be using high pressure so it doesn't matter the chain moves a little bit sideways. I've also done the 'remove swing arm, on some bikes it's almost quicker than cutting chain (twin shock)Even monoshock linkages ain't too problematic, at least you get to check and re-grease all the bearings

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
"I've also done the 'remove swing arm, on some bikes it's almost quicker than cutting chain (twin shock)Even monoshock linkages ain't too problematic, at least you get to check and re-grease all the bearings"

lol well I'm not sure about that, but I do applaud your thoroughness in servicing the suspension
:cool:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I've used angle grinder to remove endless chains. That is a terrible way to do it though. With a grinding disc it's dead easy to remove riveted 'heads' and push link out. With bike on lift, I just gring on lower run. You shouldn't be using high pressure so it doesn't matter the chain moves a little bit sideways. I've also done the 'remove swing arm, on some bikes it's almost quicker than cutting chain (twin shock)Even monoshock linkages ain't too problematic, at least you get to check and re-grease all the bearings
I use a cut off wheel to grind off the rivets. It’s quick and easier than breaking out the chain breaker.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Looks to me like the chain he fitted is too long, so he's grinding out a pair of links to shorten it. ON bike is not unusual and if it's an endless chain, it beats removing wheel and swingarm.

I wonder what he plans on doing after he loses a couple of fingers? We have probably all done something equally unsafe at some time or another. Problem is that if we get away with it, we don't think we were lucky, we just think we are some sort of demigod and "learn" that we are invincible. And that lasts right up to the moment that we aren't.
I have found in my experience that some proceedures are much more dangerous depending on who's hand the tool is in. Grinders can be used safely without guards if you understand how they work and the force needed to control one. I bet all of us have used a grinder improperly through the years, yet we're all still here to tell about it. I've had my share of mishaps with a grinder and thus use extra force in holding onto it, knowing the carnage that can happen if you are not paying attention.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Doesn't the chain on a monoshock just come right off without removing anything else besides front sprocket cover?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Doesn't the chain on a monoshock just come right off without removing anything else besides front sprocket cover?
I trust he had a sealed chain with a riveted master link and didn't want to replace the master, otherwise ya he is doing it wrong.

Heck, if you have a master link, you can replace the chain on anything without really taking much apart,
even a cam chain could be replaced without pulling the crank shaft if you do it right.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Always hear how the clip style link ona race bike chain is a weak link and should be a rivet link. I just ordered one of each for the XR. Endless would not be that time consuming to change on the XR, just remove the bottom shock mount.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
They are all endless once a master link is on it ;) <- that is how the factory makes them endless chains.

Seen my first cir-clip master link failure on the weekend, the rider crashed his sprocket and chain into a rotten stump while rolling backwards down a steep rock embankment. He had 2 cir-clip masters on the chain at the time so that doubled his chances of a freak failure.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Start getting upwards of 100hp and that clip link takes some abuse (although I have a hard time believing that because once the plate is on, it supports the pins just the same). I heard how dangerous it is to put the clip on backwards. My experience trying to remove them tells me there is nothing I can do riding the bike to put it in a position to remove the clip due to it's direction of travel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts