Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
The master link is the same strength as the rest of the links, except for possibly side loads.
A motorcycle chain rarely sees side loads, it doesn't use derailleur gears like a 10 speed bicycle.

Never put the clip on backwards, first time you bury the sprocket in dirt and gravel it will be gone.
On a street bike it is a safety measure to install it correctly.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Doesn't the chain on a monoshock just come right off without removing anything else besides front sprocket cover?
uuhh, there is usually a frame in the way.
Some sport-bikes have so much swing ar, bracing the chain may run through multiple 'tunnels' before getting to sprocket.

"I've also done the 'remove swing arm, on some bikes it's almost quicker than cutting chain (twin shock)Even monoshock linkages ain't too problematic, at least you get to check and re-grease all the bearings"

lol well I'm not sure about that, but I do applaud your thoroughness in servicing the suspension
I've done many Suzuki's where it was only 2 'bolts' (swing arm pivot and a link bolt.) Swing arm doesn't come completely off, just roll back far enough to get old chain off and new one on. maybe 30~45 minutes (doubt I could do it that fast today though)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts