Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Damn. Another infuence in my getting started in motorcycles. Also after seeing the George Hamilton "Evil" movie I got my first kiss.

Another piece of my youth gone.

Craig

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jeff; My condolences on your loss. Kosmo looks like he was an awesome dog... great picture and I'm certain you had some amazing adventures together. You will always remember those good times.
Dave

·
Registered
187 Posts
Looks like Kosmo was a great one. Sorry for your loss Jeff. I know I'd miss the heck out of Scout if he were gone.

R.I.P. Kosmo
R.I.P. Evil

Edited by - cafeteria_racer on Nov 30 2007 9:12:05 PM

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
My deepest sympathies on your loss. Kosmo looks like he was a cool dog and a good friend. Better friends than most people. RIP.

I lost my beloved Husky, Sky, to cancer last Feb. On another forum I use the sig. "Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened". It has helped me a lot.

Edited by - Hoofhearted on Nov 30 2007 11:35:00 PM

Edited by - Hoofhearted on Nov 30 2007 11:36:01 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
BTW, it's E V E L, not E V I L,

Evil.
It became EVIL after George W put him in the axis of EVIL because....well...as he puts it....it was a no brainer.....

seriously though, I still have my evel stuntcycle set around here somewhere. My father was my biggest influence in cycles and he was the one who showed me old clips of evel jumping everything under the sun. Twisted up more bicycles trying to be that man than I care to count.

One of evel's old XR stunt bikes is here in NY. I was gathering info on writing an article for it. The owner of the bike also had evel's massive ring and was good friends with him. I actually got to speak with him for the 1st time 5 months back on the phone. I was hoping to interview him for the article but i guess i missed my chance.

I think I am going to go jump something on my cb750 in his honor.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Just make sure you post video (and x-rays).

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Thanks for the condolances fellas. I still have one other dog that I can spoil.

Unga, yeah that's early season Tucks with Wildcat looming in the background. We made a fair amount of trips up to Wildcat and Tucks together.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
jeff
real sorry to hear about the loss. great critters just don't live with us long enough.
that evel was a unique charactor. i guess we chould all take a lesson from him in resillience and bouncing (couldn't resist) back . did ton's of bicycle jumps as a kid inspired by evel (didn't do the cape thing though...seemed to be kinda gay on anyone but him). never wanted to get the big air with a motor thanks to his examples of "things can go horribley wrong". i know (the hard way) that road racing has it's ups and downs too but no high side gets you forty feet up. never thought harleys were about anything but trying to get noticed and to look "bad". but he sure made them fly.
-parks

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I cannot speak for the man as a person but only as a personality. I'm sure I'm not the only one who watched Evel huck himself off (or into) various objects in pursuit of some higher glory. I'm sure at least a few of my childhood scars we're brought on by stunts inspired by him. I met Evel once, about ten years ago in Las Vegas. He was doing a signing for some product being released with his signature on it. Anyway, after the hubub I actually got to meet him and chat for a second. I said hello and went to shake his hand... that gesture was met squarely by two bodyguards. I guess Evel was so fragile from all of his exploits that at these events he needed hired guns to make sure no-one slapped him on the back or shook his hand. The man may have been fragile physically but he still had plenty of spark in his eyes.

I have heard various, questionable, things about his personality. All that aside his legacy may be all that is 'extreme' in 'sports' today. Love it or hate it he was the most famous Daredevil of our time.

There are not many people you will meet in your life who will destroy their body in search of something more... you know, given the opportunity, he would have done it all again in a heartbeat.

* What movie/ documentary was that where Evel takes out a bunch of Hells Angels at some stunt show by sliding right into them? I'm thinking we will watch that on our 'moto-movie-monday' as a tribute.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

Edited by - ROSKO on Dec 01 2007 3:52:30 PM

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
quote:

There are not many people you will meet in your life who will destroy their body in search of something more...
I saw a GG Allin show once. Every bit as gruesome as a botched Evel stunt.

Yeah, I was in my folk's attic a couple of years ago and found my "Team America" stunt cycle set (Kinda the copycat version of the Evel set). What a cool toy.

Evel Knievel was the shit. He was a mean S.O.B. too.

There was some A&E biography about him made a while back. He had this big ol' Montana redneck that worked with him through the years. To hear Evel and this guy talk about setting up for stunts was awesome. No science to it, just cast iron balls.

Honda go sideways!

·
Registered
266 Posts
You saw GG Allin? Damn I am jelous.

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

1 - 20 of 21 Posts