Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I recently bought an ex-military Yamaha DT 250 MX from 1980. I am looking for some tips and tricks, as this is my first motorcycle - and therefore also very first build.

This is as it is.

11004012_10153190698069101_1822616651_n.jpg

Old picture.

gammelt.jpg

And this is something how i image it ending up like. Not a 100%, but largely inspired from it.

cafe racer1.jpg

Therefore i'd like to ask if anyone have rebuild a Yamaha DT 250 themselves, or generally know something about it.

The easy changes are:
1. Removing the front mud guard
2. Giving it a paint job back to the original
3. Changing the seat

The more tricky ones:
1. Lowering the front fork - is is possible to do so, or it it necessary to buy a new shorter one?
2. Changing the rear mud-guard - do anyone know if its possible to find one that is possible to attach, or do i have to make it myself?
3. Is it necessary to lower the rear, if i lower the front slightly?

As for the engine, it runs just fine, so for now im gonna focus on the exterior!

If anybody have any thoughts on this, i will appreciate any constructive suggestions and/or tips.

Kind Regards.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Man, that bike is full blown awesome as it is, and has history! Put the mirrors back on and get new tires, and just keep it running! I want one of these bikes now, and if I find one, I'm keeping the military paint and everything.
This is an example of a bike that is way too cool to change. Your "inspiration" bike doesn't look too bad, but the rear tire is rubbing the fender with nobody sitting on it. If it had the right length shocks it might be ok. But nothing from the military is ever cooler un-military'd. But stick around! Don't build this bike, be proud of what you have, or get one you are proud of.
There are several people here (myself included) who don't have café racers, and might not ever modify a bike to be one.
But there is good conversation and knowledge to be had here.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I've ridden plenty of DT250's , they are heavy and a bit slow in the steering, tons of compliant suspension travel on the ones I rode.
:I can guarantee that removing most or all suspension travel on a DT250, will result in a motorcycle that handles much like a turd steered by reins.
… are you sure that's what you want ?:I

·
Registered
405 Posts
the dt's in military trim your showing are mono shock, that orange one pictured is rearspring ( diferent frames ) .
If your wanting to lower the front its easy slide the tubes up, thus lowering the front..
the rear is a bit harder, youll need to shorten the spring's effective length..( cut or replace with shorter)

Know that when you do this you are altering the bikes handleing to to detriment to its intended use and design... (for style, not function..)

I'd leave it a rambo bike and ride it ,as is, suspention wise, yet would go with a satin paint job .. ( the first dk bikes look to be the original careful paint , yours is more rattle-can and run ..Look there !! green tires..:rolleyes: )

betting it would be cooler done neatly with a black frame,forks, racks and arms ,using the digital gray urban camo wrap on the tank , fender's and side covers !!

in Tan digital would look bad ass too!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That bike is an abortion. The rear tire will not rub on the rear fender, chief, only because is has no suspension! The idiot has placed solid bars in place of shocks! The front has had all but maybe 1" of the travel removed, which means that any bump encountered will be transmitted directly into the steering head. Do you think that a bike that was designed to be a lightweight (at the time) dual sport had a frame that was beefy enough to handle such stress? This bike was not built to be ridden, and probably was not moved under its own power longer than what it would require for a few action shots during a photo shoot. There is no function in that bike. Stick around and you will realize this forum is about function over form, above all else.

What you have, as it is, has an awesome function. play to its strengths, or sell it to someone who will, so you can get something that is more in line with what you want to end up with. However, if what you want is a non-functional "art piece", you probably won't find much help achieving that, here. There are other sites that you might find more useful. If what you want is to improve the function and performance of an old bike, you will find a tonne of knowledge and help here. Quite frankly, I hope you choose the latter.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
You have a nice original bike with some history. To me a sin to alter it.

The orange bike is not functional......it's just pretty. However........if that is what you want to do....please find an old dt that is thrashed and needs work. Then you won't be taking an historic example of a motorcycle and ruining it because trust me........you can ride the other one looking cool but you'll realize that's all it's good for.

I know folks in the classic military collectors scene that would might want to preserve that. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
true, the last bike looks pretty aborted because the rear shocks are removed, that's kinda stupid, plus, he probably hasn't modified the front forks so they'll slam into stuff when you hit a bump. the best way to mod that bike is to take the rear shocks apart and weld a stainless washer on the shock shaft where it meets the seal, then reassemble with the spring, that way the bike will still have rear shocks but the tire won't hit the fender. the front can be modified in much the same way, what you do is drill a 7mm hole on the inside of the fork, high enough so it goes through the fork tube as well, then tap it for an 8mm screw, then put an 8mm hex head screw in from the back, you don't need to seal it because you remove the fork oil first, that locks the fork in place so you can get the proper front end look without having to worry about the travel of the fork allowing the tire to hit anything important

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
nix welder

:rolleyes: maybe go easy on welding on or near the shock absorber, it might still be slightly gas charged !
… I'd go for a mechanical convolution as possibly being safer.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Keep that bike the way you got it, Military vehicles are about as cool as it gets. I spent time in my youth putting around in Steyr-Puch things like this:

Steyr_Puch_Haflinger_(1968)_owned_by_Peter_Elliott_pic2.jpg

"And this is something ( the slammed DT shit-pile ) how i image it ending up like. Not a 100%, but largely inspired from it."

No you're not, you are actually just confused. It's an 'art piece', not a functional motorcycle on any level. ON ANY LEVEL. It makes a rigid H-D Knucklehead chopper seem like a sportsbike in comparison.

"as this is my first motorcycle - and therefore also very first build." One, it's your first bike to ride and maintain, not strip to bits to shit. Two, you are not a 'Buildr', and your bike will not become a 'Build'. A bike to ride is far better than a box of shit parts choking in a cloud of dreams in your garage.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, just got my hand on one of theese original bikes. And believe me, mine is going to stay just as it is.
But i need a technical serce manual, does anybody have one scnned, or that i maybe could buy? There are some smaller problems with the electrical that i would like cleared, and at the same time it would be great to have the book about the bike.

Regards from Denmark

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Hi there, just got my hand on one of theese original bikes. And believe me, mine is going to stay just as it is.
But i need a technical serce manual, does anybody have one scnned, or that i maybe could buy? There are some smaller problems with the electrical that i would like cleared, and at the same time it would be great to have the book about the bike.

Regards from Denmark
I found the parts manual on-line pretty easy. I think the service manual might be a lot harder to source. Best luck with that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
WHAT?
I have been searching high and low for that too, with no luck. Aparently i have been searching the wrong places.
Errhhhh, have you maybe a link hidden somewhere in your favorit list??? :rolleyes:

LoooL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wauww, you nailed it.
That's what i called getting things handled on a plate :)
I must have been searching with the wrong keyword.

Thanx a lot.
Have a Bud on my account :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will take some pictures soon and post them here.
But now i have a little problem. Does any of you know the rectifier assembly, is this just a common diode, that rectifies the current to only go one way?
It is part no 1M1-81970-60-00. I attach a picture.
I am offcourse getting a new one, but it takes time to get it, so i thought i would get it working temporary with a simple diode.
20170328_162522.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts