Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
5,783 Posts
I suspect causes 1 and 2 mostly and new tires will make the most difference. I don't understand how lowering one fork tube would change the alignment of the caliper and the disk. Sounds like that might be an issue like a bent axle which would also affect tire wear. Finally, if the forks don't have good damping that will affect tire wear. I suggest you take this opportunity to go through the whole front ed if you haven't done so.
Ken

·
Banned
5,783 Posts
Rambo,
I would absolutely get a new front tire and a rear if it is as old as the front. If the rear tire is worn square then it can cause issues too. Consider the Bridgestone BT-45s.
I still am not getting how dropping a fork tube can have any relationship to caliper alignment. The relationship of the disc to the caliper is fixed by the axle in the fork lowers and the mounting of the caliper to the same fork lower. Those mounting points are fixed and can't move. On these single piston Honda calipers it is possible that the pivoting aluminum caliper mount got twisted (never seen or heard of it), but the best way to compensate for that would be to use a shim washer under the pivot bracket either under the 2 top bolts or under the single lower mount point. Check out my FAQ on these brakes. If the caliper is not aligned with th disc then there is an issue that needs to be fixed. I think you have some issues that need some attention. On a bike of this age I would give a real good look at wheel alignment, steering head bearings, swing arm bushings, front fork bushings, wheel bearings, front fork damping and rear shocks in addition to tires. All in all it shouldn't take more than a few minutes of inspection to get a real good look at what you have, especially if you are replacing tires anyway.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

Ken

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.