Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just got back from my dirt track mecca to springfield illinois. i broke my rotax on amatuer night. i think i blew apart the basket (known to happen on those bikes) because i put a hole in the case on the clutch side behind the belt cover. its ok, i have 2 more sets of cases...and i got my entry fee back. the saturday night short track national was exciting. the track was long and narrow and rare for a short track, the guys were shifting to make it work! Henry Wiles walked away with the win on his Kawasaki. I got an interview with Henry before the main, I'll have it posted up soon on my website (www.fightfordt.com) Sunday my buddy steve murray got his first top 5 ever at a national. his two main sponsors were there and to say they were happy was an understatement. then yesterdays is when the fireworks went off. I got adopted into the team, helping keep Murray's bike clean, checking tire pressures, filling the gas, teching the bike...the simple stuff. well i got back from watching the main and his mechanic says "tyler, you're about to be real busy." oblivious to what was going on, i said "yeah, im going to hang around for a minute and help you guys load up." joe says "no, i just claimed coolbeth's motor (factory harley davidson) and they claimed ours. lets go up to tech and start stripping it down" so here i am, i just went up there to race the amatuer short track and sell my shirts, and im in the middle of the biggest controversy in dirt track in the last 5 years. we are under the AMA tech tent with 50 people standing around watching, talking, snapping pictures...it was wild for me!! we had the motor out of the bike in about 25 minutes and didnt "cut" anything. it was a wild day for sure, one that they will be talking about for a while. they didn't claim harley's "good" motor, kenny didn't use it this weekend. he has a motor with data aquisition and traction control, but this one appeared to be pretty normal except for this really trick intake set up he had. but factory harley took a little blow and all they got was murray's motor that had broken every motor mount on the thing with metal shavings in the oil. our motor was HURT and we got the factory bike. but it was very surreal being in that spot and i thought i would share. oh yeah, i also learned a lot about setting up an XR for the mile! Joe said I was now a member of the team and he expects me to be at every GNC race next year. hahahahaha. oh yeah, ever the salesman, i still have some shirts left if you guys want to buy one or 5. LATER!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Tyler, quite the story! Can't wait to read about it in Cycle News. Sorry your racing got cut short. I've always admired the Rotax engines, but it seems they're a little fragile.
Can't wait to see them run at Indy, you gonna be there?

FR

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Dude, that rocks. I love it when good racing is accessible to the public.

And I LOVE CLAIMING RULES! They should put it back in AMA superbike. Talk about a way to keep things "level". I remember when a LRRS guy claimed Duhamel's forks after an AMA race at Loudon. They were PISSED! And, of course, they broke the forks when they removed them by snapping the adjusters. Just another reason why Honda sucks.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
claiming rules

several years ago I came up with the notion that should also apply to bike shows

a few idgits that thought that was a good idea borrowed the notion but none have ever gotten it right

wanna show your bike in a 2500 or 5000 or whatever class?

leave a signed cleared title to it with the judges and if anyone wants to buy it

it's sold, baby

seems like the last time AMA had a claiming rule in flat track it was like 1200 bucks for the whole bike

or did I fall out of the loop too long ago?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you fell out of the loop hack. i dont think you can claim an entire bike any more. Joe only claimed the motor, carbs, pipes, and electrical. and when i say electrical, they even wanted the kill switches!!! i think i'm wrong on this, but i heard "$8500" tossed around as the claiming fee for that. that seems WAYYYY too low. a new, unassembled XR motor costs $12k from harley and then it costs another 6k or so to get the heads done, Ti bolts put in, and have it assembled by somebody who knows what they are doing. It was VERY cool taking Ti bolts out of a bike. FR, i'll be in indy, working for Joe and Murray again. If we have room in the pit my RD will be there too. On the rotax motors, they are bullet proof stock...but stock they make 35 HP and mine in a "mild" build makes about 52, and a big 676 makes about 73-74. Rockers are fragile, we replace those a lot. i have a KZ1000 valve train in mine, so valves and springs get replaced on the cheap. but mine is the "old style" motor, with the "little" clutch and they are known to blow up....and i think that is what made a hole in my case. We'll see. Hope to see you in indy. I think they are going to have me come to the topeka race too. Oh, i was also won the ugliest umbrella girl award yesterday. hopefully i have more competition the rest of the year

1 - 5 of 5 Posts