Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having an exhaust leak problem on a 77 cb750 from one of the heads. So, I pulled it off and the problem was obvious. I think this thing is supposed to be welded to the headers, but it seems to have broken off. You can see what it's supposed to look like in the first pic.

I don't have an arc welder in my apartment... any ideas on how I can fix this apart from new headers, or buying an arc welder. My neighbors hate me enough as it is.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,809 Posts
you could take it to a shop. should be easy enough. just make sure if you have those collars that they have room to seat onto the flange there. weird. god, that looks like titanium. while youre at it, you might want to change that cable.

jc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
aren't those supposed to be inserts that are replaceable? It looks as though they are, as when you do a rebuild, you would replace that part as it incorporates a gasket. Is there another gasket or is that where the sealing takes place?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,809 Posts
yeah, but then the pipe would just fall out of the clamp. its weird.

jc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,303 Posts
ok first question is this an F bike or a K bike? The reason is that K and F bikes have different exhaust mounting flanges - K bikes use the clamp tighening around the pipe method while F ones use a lip and bolt to the head.

From the looks of it I's say you have an F exhaust header. There are no internal inserts in a cb750 exhaust. What your pictures show is a really backyard repair of a broken header pipe. The cb750F headers are supposed to have a lip on the end of the pipe to which two shell pieces attach and collar slips over. Usually if the bike is running lean the pipes will overheat and these lips will break off. I have a cb550 and 750F that it has happened to.

As far as fixing it, welding would probably be the best and strongest option (basicallt welding a new lip and throwing that insert away is ideal). I don't like the backyard fix because it restricts exhaust flow (punches up the lower end but you lose top end and overall power). As a For now fix I would consider sliding that insert in and riviting it in place with pop rivits (make sure the colar fits over the rivist and doesn't get in the way). The header is pretty much junk anyway so any expirementation to get it to work isn't bad. Ebay for a good used header is not a bad idea, I scored one last year off ebay for $35 flanges to silencer and after a coat of hightemp black it looks better and badder than ever (espically with some heat wrap covering the dents).

In a pinch MAC makes a cheap Super Sport exhaust but requires you to switch to the shorter oil filter cover to clear the pipe.

oh and if it is a supersport (F bike) you don't want to ride too long with an exhaust leak on those F heads - you'll burn a valve before you know it. According to my friends (ex honda service techs when the bike was new) the 77-78 F head only has a service life of 20-30K before it needs to be rebuilt with new spings, honda put bigger valves in the F head for 77 and the springs are not adiquate for the 50-60K mile service life of previous cb750s.

Edited by - geeto67 on Aug 09 2006 4:11:15 PM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a ton for the responses.

It's a k bike with an aftermarket 4 into 1 exhaust. The headers are the F type with the lip and collars etc. but the bike is a k.

I talked to a welder... he said basically the same thing. I'd be better off to just make it work somehow until I could buy some new ones. So, I ended up just cramming some aluminum between the collar and the pipe, and slapped it back on the bike. It actually works pretty nice. It's not pretty and probably shouldn't stay that way for too long, but there are no leaks for now. I'll just have to keep my eye on ebay for some new pipes now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a ton for the responses.

It's a k bike with an aftermarket 4 into 1 exhaust. The headers are the F type with the lip and collars etc. but the bike is a k.

I talked to a welder... he said basically the same thing. I'd be better off to just make it work somehow until I could buy some new ones. So, I ended up just cramming some aluminum between the collar and the pipe, and slapped it back on the bike. It actually works pretty nice. It's not pretty and probably shouldn't stay that way for too long, but there are no leaks for now. I'll just have to keep my eye on ebay for some new pipes now.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top