Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok just heat taped my 75 cl/cj360 exhaust pipes (from engine to collector) and i'm very confident that i i did it right, put the two spacer/tapers in w/ the raised edge away from the engine, and once the ring/bolt holes were lined up enough to put the nuts on i did and tightened til it wouldn't move. everything lined up right and sounds just as before, but as a check once i had it running i put my hand under the left exhaust outlet and i got depressed.... i felt some air passing by. this could be normal and i did NOT notice it before, but i'm down since i'm not sure i didn't make a mistake. well if u've had a similar incident let me know. thanx

maybe if this is normal a filler or tape would help me fix the bypass???

03 rsv Tuono (STARF8R)
81 cb750f (stolen)
75 cl360 ("Chupa"thingy)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i work in the air quality/ emission testing industry and some of our equipment is subjected to temps over 2000 degrees. there are some fillers that are designed to expand to about twice their size when put into a stack and subjected to heat. a coil of that about half a pencil eraser size would fill it right. i even thought that a small metal "sliver" could fill in the gap between the two "shims/spacers" that go in front of the exhaust ring, all i'd need to do is find a way to hold it in place..... high heat tape would do it. some is rated to over 1000 degrees!!! just thought it was a novel idea.... hell it's not even necessary if this leak is normal!!!

03 rsv Tuono (STARF8R)
81 cb750f (stolen)
75 cl360 ("Chupa"thingy)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
define copper ring gasket. i don't recal one at all. maybe it wasn't there to begin w/ and i just needed one the whole time! mayb a pic?? and in what order is it in (behind the split spacers and before the exhaust ring??)

03 rsv Tuono (STARF8R)
81 cb750f (stolen)
75 cl360 ("Chupa"thingy)

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Honda part# 18291-286-306

Goes into the exhaust port before you stick the header pipe in.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It compresses when you install the header, then gets covered in carbon - odds are you just didn't realize it was there, as they tend to get stuck fairly solidly in there.

A

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
New ones look like these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...ryZ35596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But yours, like xander450 said, were compressed and you probably didn't see them in there.

I've seen them for sale on ebay fairly regularly, but don't see any there now. They also come in a complete gasket kit. Price them from the dealer but the complete gasket kit from Dennis Kirk will probably be cheaper.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah!!!!! i found my issue. the copper ring is designed to act as a bumper for the steel exhaust pipes and the aluminium head according to a good friend of mine and he said to identify the point of fugitive exh. gas leak and mark the point on the pipe, pull the pipe out just far enough to see where the cut/ split is in the spacer rings, and discover your problem.....and sure enough the spacers are right in line w/ the fugitive gas leak.... so, some Viton® fluoroelastomer "filler" may fix her right up!!! thanx for the help ppl. still more questions to come!

03 rsv Tuono (STARF8R)
81 cb750f (stolen)
75 cl360 ("Chupa"thingy)

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Except the copper crush gasket is supposed to stop any exhaust leaks before they get to the split spacers. Replace the copper gasket. They're cheap & you can get 'em from your Honda shop.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Yeah, just replace the gasket..that's why the include them in gasket kits. When new they make up for any misalignment of the head pipe flange. Don't make it more complex that it needs to be.
JohnnyB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts