Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know exhaust options for a '74 cb125? The muffler has rusted from the inside out and broke at the weld.

thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my profile is filled out and yet no one chimes in.

old bike barn has nothing when you search under the bike model. maybe a generic muffler re welded to the single header and then the whole piece ceramic coated or re-cromed?

same thing with tirea for this thing. i cant find a 3.00 worth a shit. either i find a front one in 18" that works and they don't make a matching 3.00 in 17" or vise versa. pretty frustrating.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
dude...it's only been eight hours since you posted the thread. i live on this site, but occasionally i have to get up and go take a crap.

why not look post a pic of your bike, exhaust side would be good, so we can see what your working with, then maybe make a suggestion.

i'm thinking some shorty trumpet meggie or a shorty reverse cone, but still would like to look at your project.

tex

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
yeah....that's what i was thinking. measure back from the header (at the flange/stop) 17 1/2 inches and see where that leaves the meggie. normally these type of muffs have a slotted track on the back where the mounting hardware goes. looks like the passenger peg area might be perfect to mount a strap to. try to use some rubber/isolastic mounts for vibration.

let us know where you go with it and good luck!

tex

p.s.- the bike is pretty sharp.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If it's mufflers you're after, shop by header diameter rather than by bike model. What are yours, 1.5"? Should be something in that neighborhood. Lots of aftermarket stuff in that size - check out the Emgo stuff on Cycle Recycle. Also some pretty cool Norton peashooters that I think are in that range on ebay. All of that stuff just clamps right on, no welding necessary.

Headers are more complicated, primarily because the mounting flange is somewhat bike (or at least make/period) specific. You could at the least mount a CL125S header without issue.

If it were my bike, I'd go with a stock CL setup.

A

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks tex. the bikes coming along. the next photos of it should look pretty different. front fender trimmed, mini-clubmans, bar-end mirror, new tires, blinkers, break light, rebuilt front forks and about 35lbs of weight loss.

i bought a universal muffler from j&p cycles up in daytona this morning, thinking a 1 3/4 inch inlet could fit. it seems that my header is only 1 inch? that's pretty fricken small. it looked really good mocked up on there too. shit.

i think i'm going to have a problem finding a 1 inch inlet to weld or clamp.

those peashooters are great. but, their all 1 3/4.

·
Registered
278 Posts
No they aren't. If they were I'd have bought some already. :) I believe they come in 1.5 or 1.375.

If you find some Norton-style peashooters in 1.75", tell me where and they're mine.

A

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
mines bigger.....

seriously...i doubt that has any baffle in it for the price. i could be wrong, but i betcha it's LOUD!

get whatcha pay for, right?

with eleven inches is the bracket gonna come close to touching anything close to a mounting point?

that is the most important thing. where to mount it!

tex

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it's got a baffle- so, i went with it. only because the bracket that comes on it lines up perfectly with where the original bracket was. so, not only do i get to loose the heavy original bracket, i have a nice small clean little muffler that cleans up the bike.

trimmed the front fender and painted the brackets today.

I'll try and post some pictures.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts