Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried the Durabond 7032 putty by Coltronics?

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/rm_putties.htm

I've had it recommended to me by someone who's been using it in 600 superbike exhaust ports and says it holds up great. He'd been using the stuff sold by Joe Mondello but says this is better, and cheaper.

Much easier than welding - in fact in the 160s I can't actually reach in far enough with my torch to put metal where I want it to fix the terrible exhaust port design - I can get close but not quite. I'm going to try some this winter on the development bikes and see how it goes. Right after we build a flowbench...

Michael

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I can't say I've tried either stuff but I suspect I'll be on the phone with them tomorrow with some questions. Note they say they can adjust the formula to increase peeling resistance and such as that...... interesting.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah baby. I covet that torch for my welder. You know those quartz cups are about 40 bucks each? I've priced the whole setup more than once.

I'll end up with one in the long run anyway just because I've got to own cool tools like that. Probably about the time I step up to a new Dynasty 200DX power supply.

But - have you ever tried welding in the exhaust port of a 1968 honda? It's a major pain in the ass - grind/weld/grind/weld/grind trying to get rid of the blowholes, contamination, etc. Some of the castings weld okay, some are complete shite. Same with sidecovers. On the 160 with the cast iron skull, even if you could get in to put weld where you want with that torch the aluminum pulls back from the skull and yer funked. And you need to be that close to change the short side radius how I want. Plus welding is time consuming and expensive.

Don't get me wrong - I <really> love to weld but it turns out I don't really love to weld in old exhaust ports. And there's virtually no way I could possibly charge enough to make it worth doing for someone else.

Michael

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Bateman147

And there's virtually no way I could possibly charge enough to make it worth doing for someone else.

Michael

somebody needs to send me all of those torches for xmas and stuff like that

agreed on charging enough........

friend stopped by a couple weeks ago wanting a small aluminum thing for his evo starter welded

told him sure

clean it and prep it and I'll trade out time with you

it was a small part, broken into four pieces

he came back about this week and put in five hours for me

only took me three hours to weld it but I guess he was happy it didn't break

he spent about an hour and a half cleaning it and using all my consumables to do so

cylinder heads can be really miserable

especially when they are cracked and some are all but impossible to find the end of the carbon lakes you never see until you start grinding away to find all clean metal

cast iron flathead cylinders are a real sob...... very long and twisty intake ports too

last set of those and heads I welded took two and a half days

just to get them ready to naturalize the heads and then machine both the heads and cylinders

probably should be welding dialysis machines for real money

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup - special water cooled Tig torch made by Weldcraft called a MT-125 or WP-125 or 150 or something like that - I can't recall or sure the current name - they've changed it a time or two. Those quartz cups you see are about the size of your pinky nail. They're the shit for getting into tight spots like little exhaust ports. Of course all the service parts are special and not cheap.

But cool - oh so cool. Gotta have one someday...

Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts