Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I cracked my CL pipes, I needed to quickly make some more. I have a long ride scheduled for the weekend. I wanted to try a 2-1 exhaust, and due to the time constraint, I had to make my own merge collector.

After a long wait, my TIG will finally get wired today (knock on wood). I considered waiting to TIG the merge collector, but again, ran out of time. Here it is in the raw state.

I got anxious and forgot to take pics, but in a nutshell, I hacked up some CB360 pipes--because that's what I had. I'm kinda glad I did because this was the first exhaust I've made and it turned out to be much more difficult than I was expecting. It is a spatial nightmare, exagerated because the bike was sitting on the ground.

I had to wrap the pipes because I didn't feel like sanding the MIG welds completely smooth. Plus, I like the look of it. I went with 25" long 1.5" primaries that stepped down to 2" On the end, I welded a polished stainless piece that I had kicking around the garage. The pipes got a good coating of VHT paint before they got wrapped.

These will be used as a prototyope for the summer. If they work well, I'll TIG up a nicer, better fabricated set out of stainless. Apologies for the big pics; it's just how I do it. Opinions are always welcome...

--Chris

·
Registered
187 Posts
Lets see a pic of them on the bike and a video so we can hear them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jesus this really woke the bike up. The 2-2 setup was much quieter. This one has the chopper burble at idle and really nice sound at full boil. I'm really happy with the way they look, but I'm more excited with the performance.

I'm uploading the video to YouTube now. Check my channel in a bit.

--Chris

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sounds good. Idle seems bit high though. Be sure to take a video of you giving it a little gas so we can either praise or ridicule you. We are good at both.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does it seem to idle high? OK, I'll turn it down a bit. I'll try to get some video of me riding it. It sounds great at WOT--and performs even better--but off throttle, it very rudely pops and burbles. It must scare the shit out of people waiting traffic lights. Like I said, it should work well for a summer. Then I build my Mona Lisa.

I'll take either praise or ridicule. I build in such a way that I try to ensure there is no chance for ridicule, though. We'll see.

--Chris

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
can I have that bike? I really want it

however......

I find this skirt picture erotically disturbing

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a pic of me actually on the bike. We were leaving the car show for the 60 mile trip home.

--Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts