Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been hitting an extra neutral between 4/5 gear on my xs400. its a major pain in the ass. what is it? can i fix it? how?

it mostly occurs whenever i am driving in town, whenver i try to shift up to overdrive in traffic.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
kick harder....false neutrals are usually driver error. and it sounds like you may be kinda short shifting...like you like the sound of your pipes lugging it a bit. but maybe your shift lever is at an angle where you're losing some leverage after 4th gear.

-tt

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it does happen mostly in traffic so i am usually trying not to eat the ass of the car in front of me and not really focusing on my shift throw. i don't like the sound of my engine lugging but i have never had a tach on it. and i don't want to blow it up. so i shift up whenever it feels like its way up on rpm.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
i guarantee that what you're considering "way up" on rpms isn't even close to "blowing up" your engine. get a tach dude.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
TT is wise....a whole lot of shifting problems are due to not stroking the shifter properly...I still do it myself...leaving some pressure on the shifter between gears and not letting it return to it's "rest" position. It's a rachet, so you have to release it completely between gears.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
wearing sneakers? they are the worst thing to wear while riding. also, make sure the shifters not binding on the cover. could make it happen too.

just thoughts.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i ride with vans all of the time. my shifts are definitely sloppy and miss. the toes bend too much to get a good shift in.

jc

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well my vans didn't last very long riding my bike around. toe dragged the ground a few times and they were done. i am wearing th newer style skate shoe w/ the really soft tongue. strangely they are less comfortable than my old school vans were. but i think focus on a harder pull on the lever and it should stop.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the damn things a six speed, and 5th is the first overdrive ratio. actually since i have been letting the rpms go up a bit while driving everything has been doing better. i am finally getting a tach, so likely a lot of issues will be solved

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
get some proper foot wear for riding a motorcycle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts