Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
lol You're dating yourself, computers and internet are a recent innovation, we were taught to use a slide rule :| and if you didn't learn well your teacher might even hit you with it.
So when I was in First Grade, we had an Apple II in the classroom and it was awesome. By Fourth grade, the school library had a computer that not only had the encyclopedia brittanica CD's, but the internet too. I was lucky enough to grow up in the wildest days of the internet... before my parents/grandparents discovered social media and ruined it for everyone.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
In grade 4 our teacher dumped a big blob of liquid mercury into the palm of your hand so you could see what it felt like. Oops, teacher I dropped the mercury, I need some more :|

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
In grade 4 our teacher dumped a big blob of liquid mercury into the palm of your hand so you could see what it felt like. Oops, teacher I dropped the mercury, I need some more :|
My 11th grade chemistry teacher used to set his hand on fire and also pour sulfuric acid on his hand during the safety demonstration to show us that these things weren't anything to panic about, just tend to them quickly and efficiently. I don't know that you can get away with that today, but I like to think there is still some chemistry teacher out there doing something like that.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
I recently went to a fund raiser at a local museum.
It was an evening event that did have some drinks. BUT they had the resident "OLD GUY" science demo person......
He was FREAKING out some young adults with liquid nitrogen. I thought at one point one was going to call 911.

It was great.

Reactions: woodsman

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My auto shop teacher in High School used to teach us all kind of things that he said "If you ever get caught doing these things, they will put me in prison for the ass beating I lay into you" and then teach us how to shoot flames from the tailpipe of your car. Also he used to walk around with a charged up capacitor in his pocket and randomly toss it down on to the metal work bench in front of you if you were being stupid, nice little POP to wake you up as it released charge into the table. He also called us dirtbags, maggots, shitheads, etc... Vietnam era vet, still my favorite teacher of all time. Nothing, literally nothing, he did would be kosher today LOL

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The internet IS the problem and it is an OLD/YOUNG thing. Many of the YOUNG never lived in a world without the internet. The internet and hand held devices to access it have made if unnecessary to KNOW anything. You just look it up and trust that whatever you access is true.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
The internet IS the problem and it is an OLD/YOUNG thing. Many of the YOUNG never lived in a world without the internet. The internet and hand held devices to access it have made if unnecessary to KNOW anything. You just look it up and trust that whatever you access is true.
Was my generation that invented computers and internet, some drugs may have been involved.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts