Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. So I'm trying to find a barbed pipe-to-hose adapter to fit on my Wards Riverside tank. I can't run a petcock directly off the tank b/c the CB160 frame I'm fitting the tank to is too close to the petcock bung. All I need is a barbed fitting and I'll run an in-line petcock.

After some quality time spent at a few local fastener centers and a little verification using a friend's tap set, we've determined the thread on the bung is 1/8" - 27 NPT. (This sound right Champ? You're the only Riverside guy I know...)

Apparently this is an oddball thread pitch, seeing that NOBODY around here has it. Air fittings are too fine and regular brass fittings like you'd find at the hardware or auto parts store are too course.

There's enough metal on the bung to re-tap it if I have to, so, what's the next logical size/thread pitch to go to that will have fittings readily available?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
too unmotivated to get out my Machinist Handbook, and you should own a copy yourself, but I'd guess any common 1/8 NPT tap you can get will suffice due to the very nature of tapered pipe threads

and I'd recommend teflon paste to make sure the whole mess seals

now if you want to get jiggy....

you could look into the viability of british parallel pipe threads

or maybe even do some measuring and see about merely tapping it out to a common standard SAE, USS, UNF, or metric thread......

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Are you sure it's a pipe thread? I'm not too familiar with Wards Riverside bikes but I thought they were actually built by Benelli? Assuming Benelli did things like other Italian manufacturers of the day, I'd expect the petcock to be a fine metric thread, probably 10 x 1.0... but I wouldn't think that's easily mistaken with a 1/8 NPT?

Kinda moot point anyway I suppose. Find a fitting you want to use and tap the tank to work with it.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I think Wards might have done the same thing that Sears did with Gilera and spec a slightly different bike than what the company built for it's branded sales. Just ever so slightly more friendly to English tools when servicing.

I've always wondered why for instance the Sears/Gilera is a 106, based on the Gilera 98...but with parts just enough different to make it a pain in the ass to get parts for.

I can't wait for a time machine to be invented so I can go back in time and kill people.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
why wait for then? there are plenty very deserving of that now and some even beg for such relief

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
both you guys make me laugh. a lot.

kraps:...don't think about why, then...just say why not, now. make it fit your needs based on what yhe current situation is. you're not going to the gugenheim with this one.
-parks

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
both you guys make me laugh. a lot.

kraps:...don't think about why, then...just say why not, now. make it fit your needs based on what yhe current situation is. you're not going to the gugenheim with this one.
-parks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts