Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the battery popped in one of my hondas two nights ago (internal short) and I had a funeral last night that kept me from going to get a replacement. So I call the Honda dealer at 46th street and 11th (camrod) today and ask if they have a battery, he insists he needs a yuasa number since their book doesn't cover bikes older than 1990. Fine so I spend all of 3 seconds on yuasa's site getting a number and call them back with the number. Yes they have it in stock but.....

...They will not warranty the battery if I take it at the factory 75% charge. I have to let them trickle charge it to 100% for 6-8 hours or I loose my warranty. I told them they were out of their minds and that if I buy a new product they have to honor the mfg's warranty according to the contract with them and I know for a fact there is no requirement that the battery has to be sold 100% charged. They told me it isn't the way they do things.

Since I really need the battery today I ask them if I take it without the warranty and I pay cash do I get a discount since you are robbing me of some of the battery's value? They say no. So I tell them they must really not want to sell a battery today and hang up.

I am so pissed!!!!!!

So am I off base with this or are they full of shit?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
They're full of shit. Its their busiest time of the year and every swinging dick with a bike feels that first warm breeze and has to get their neglected bike running NOW. I'd bet they've normally got a tender with 3 or 4 batteries charged up and ready to sell but the new kid they hired screwed up and didn't fill/charge any new batteries after they sold out of the prepped ones. Or they're just feeling pricky because they are slammed so they handed you some bullshit line. Not that I've ever done such a thing to a customer....

Its a shame you got caught up in the b.s. they deal out to the average schmuck.

Just get a cheapo Superior battery and an Optimate tender. Charge your battery yourself.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
They kind of have you by the short and curlies. A good lawyer would shred them but at what cost to you? A club member tells the story of how a partner shafted him for $10,000. His other partner was determined to get the guy. As Jim says "We won the case, got the $10,000 back and it only took three years and $20,000 in fees!" Let them charge the battery and rant here. We can deal with it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just call the battery manufacturer and let them know what this dealership is doing - they will straighten it out and its a little F-U back.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'd almost bet they get their batteries from Parts Unlimited. If this is the case, call Parts and tell customer service the deal. Their rep will get in touch with them and see what's up if he/she is worth a shit. I get my batteries from Parts and they have a 12 month no questions asked replacement policy on all batteries, Yuasa, Part, Drag etc. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This isn't the first time I have bought parts off them...and in the past they were really helpful, I am not some joe schmuck off the street. Yes I was doing this over the phone but I had the parts guy look up my account.

The only reason I was in a rush is the battery popped with the bike parked at a friends house and it could have really made it easier to pick up the battery after work (I work 8 blocks away), and taken the train to a friend's house and rode her home. Another friend came through with a borrowed battery tonight and the bike is home but you bet your ass I am putting camrod on blast for this crap.

since I didn't buy the battery I don't really have standing to take legal action but I am going to go over there and give the parts guy a piece of my mind in person, then maybe call PU if they have an account and also yuasa.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I buy my batteries from Interstate. They seem to always have what I need and they're generally cheaper than the dealer. I just had to replace one in the VFR, they didn't have the exact replacement, but the dude looked up the size and terminal locations and cranking amps, turned out they had one that would work fine, just had the vent on the opposite side. $39 bucks out the door.

FR

·
Registered
68 Posts
contact consumerist.com if they take the story Mr Honda himself will shit you a new battery. Being serious about contacting them though, they make things happen.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
that sucks,I was there today and they gave me a discount because I had to take a substitute part. They also had a cable I could not find anywhere, not P.U. not even motion pro. I bet erik or moto grrl either had one or could have one next day. P.U.is great like that. then again it is a major dealer,i hate going there and only do so under duress. did you try ducati or goldcoast?

·
Registered
699 Posts
i'm with FR, i use interstate batteries. we have an awesome supplier at "my" shop, and he makes a daily run by there if you need anything special.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts