Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

I am selling my 1976 kz400. I don't have pictures yet so I'll try and be as accurate as I can describing it. I may be able to get a digital camera over the weekend to snap some photos, and I'll post them as soon as I can. The Bike is located in Queens, New York. This bike would make an cool budget cafe racer to put around town on or restore it to stock.

Here is the story:

The bike is brown factory paint job. The paint is not bad but would look awsome with a wet sand (1000 grit) and a polish. It is not faded or uneven, just a little dull from sitting. There are two dents in the tank on the right side, but they are shallow dents and not creases. They were caused when a fence post fell on the bike. The bike has never been laid down. The chrome is in Ok shape, it had some spots on it but I managed to clean it up with some chrome polish. There are one or two spots where it is dull but they are hard to see. The side cover vent chrome however has turned green and will not polish up (plastic chrome). The bike has really big kawaskai crash bars and aftermarket highway pegs. Other than that the bike is bone stock. The seat pan is in fantastic shape and the stock cover is good also - no rips and pliable. The bike's mileage is approximatley 4900 (four thousand nine hundred).

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!!!: The bike does not currently run. When I got it, it was sitting for a number of years in a friend's uncle's shed. I bought it because my girlfriend wanted to learn how to ride. Since then she has rethought this decision and decided she would rather be a passenger. If she changes her mind again I still have a honda dream she can use but I bought this because the dream is currently under restoration and this looked like an easy fix. When I brought the bike home it had spark and compression. It still has compression but I have not checked for spark in a couple of weeks. I don't imagine much has changed but I will test for it again if someone wants. When I hooked it up to a battery a while ago all the electrics worked. Bike also have the factory tool kit which has never been used.

Mechanicaly the bike needs:
Tank cleaned,
carbs rebuilt,
Front brake rebuilt,
New Chain (you could do sprockets too but the bike has low mileage),
New Tires,
New Battery,
new fuel petcock.

Cosmetically the bike needs:
polish on the original paint,
paintless dent repair on the tank,
general cleaning on the frame (I did not get all the hard to reach areas).

If you can think of something else that might be wrong let me know and I'll check. I encourage people to come look at this bike.

The bike is complete and bone stock. The previous owner did not use it at all. The bike is so original I have considered keeping it, but I am 6'5" and really don't fit on it well (picture a bear riding a tricycle at the circus).

My pirmary bike interests are SOHC hondas, honda dreams, and kawasaki triples so I am open to trades if you have anything. I am also willing to trade for anything interesting, like a derelict british twin or single. I do have a title for the KZ.

I am available on the weekends if you wanna come look at it in person, and I would prefer that you do. I'll try to get pics but I work crazy hours during the week.

I am going to continue to work on the bike until it is sold, but the more effort I put into it the more I am going to want for it so get it now get it cheap.

e-mail me at:

[email protected]

(there is an underscore betwen dean and morarity)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have some pics now, Since it has been raining here I have not been able to get a good pic of the bike all "cleaned up". I do have pics of when I first brought it home.

e-mail me for pics (haven't figured out hosting yet) if you are interested. This bike would make a great winter cafe project. Make me an offer.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
you didnt say what your looking to get for the bike in dollars and cents and I didnt see anything about ,if you have a title for it or not can you answer these two ques tions lol I feel like im on ebay...But Im not one of those Question askers that seems to be the hobby of non buyers at ebay, question the seller to death and then dont buy it !

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I say in the ad that I have a title for it. The bike has not been registered in a looooooong time, but I have the title.

As for price...make me an offer. I hate posting a price because I think it tends to have a negative effect onthe sale. Afterall an essential part of the deal is negotiating. Plus people get scared off by the prices.

I have it up on CL for about $500 which I think is about the most I can ask for a bike in it's condition. Make me an offer. Come out and see the bike, meet me, and make me an offer. It's a kz400 fer cristsakes, not a british or italian twin, how expensive can it be? Like I said in the ad I'll take trades for other stuff that I am more into, that is why I didn't list a dollar and cent's price.

As for the bike itself, if you want ti for a first bike because it is cheap, keep looking. This bike needs someone who is not afraid to pull the head if needed (I don't think it is needed but you get my point). I have gotten so many newbie's just looking for a cheap score and this bike is not for them, you need some expirence working on a motorcycle.

LilBull, are you serious about it? if so shoot me an e-mail.

As for the bike it is still for sale but a buyer is pending. A friend and local BMW mechanic might be taking it this week. So far it is still for sale until he pony's up the purchase price (which is dirt cheap BTW) so we will know by the end of this week.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
nothing to add here. just wanted to see my name up on all four topics at once, and increase my thread count! come on "small chested whore"!

tex!

still with three exclamation points.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
alright i'll buy it............

i'll give you 50 bucks for the kawe. i had a yamaha xs400 that i bought brand new that kicked the shit out the kawe. all out race war. they were lame then and they still are.

50 bucks and i promise to burn it in my wood pile!!!!!

Champ

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks of the offer champ...uh...I think.

Not saying the kz400 is any barn burner by any means, but it can hold it's own with a cb350/360 and a few others. I had a friend with one and he loved it because only a stone was more reliable. His only gripe is that it was a typical UJM.

One of the werid things about the kz400 engine is that it runs backwards. The other thing is that it had 4 engine chains: a primary cahin, starter chain, cam chain, and balancer chain (unlike honda, kawasaki didn't feel the need to put a chain everywhere until this bike).

There is a whole group of people who love these tiny kz twins, and even one guy who dragraces one and managed to coax 13's out of the bike (www.kz400.com).

Anyway like I said before the bike may be going to a friend of mine who is a BMW mechanic at the end of this week. He has wanted to get into bikes for a while, is definatly a skilled mechanic, and he is about the right size for the bike. Plus he has never ridden before so if he trashes it who cares. Until he picks it up though the bike is still for sale.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:
dude

i will trade ya a boxload of cb turn signals and chrome for it!! ha ha

mt
I'll trade you a ghost in a jar for your turn signals. Actually I'll trade you the ghost, you'll have to pay for the jar...and the shipping.

which signals (cb750, 550 etc) and what eyars are they? Yes it makes a difference.

BTW, why is everybody so down on a guy trying to sell a bike on here? I know I'm a newbie to this forum and expected to take some lumps but it makes it hard to sell.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
hey deano, they're not down on you selling it. they're just immature sumbitches (myself included). but it's exactly why we should all keep our witty banter in the other forums and not mess with the classifieds. now deano has lumps, do you all feel better?

The Mgt.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i'm sorry........

i'll be in my room sitting oh so very quietly till JD says i can come back out.

tex "not smart enough to be witty but sure am immature" mawby

p.s.- someone please buy geeto's bike so all will be right in the world.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No worries guys, I have no problems with anything said before and I know it is just kidding around, for like 1/2 of a second there I thought about some newbie lurker who hasn't been mixing it up with you guys and might take you half seriously. Don't want to come off as a whinner or anything.

All is right in the world...and hopefully this bike doesn't have to sit another night outside.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
sorry dudes. it is all my fault. i am just taking out my rustration on the guy trying to sell a bike. i guess i will go and watch some tv now

mt

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
sorry dudes. it is all my fault. i am just taking out my rustration on the guy trying to sell a bike. i guess i will go and watch some tv now

mt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts