Cafe Racer Forum banner

fabricating exhaust system

5K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  ProTeal55 
#1 ·
im fabricating an exhaust system and im not sure where to start, i want a 2 into 1 pipe for my honda cb175 and i have never built an exhaust before, can anyoneone give me some tips, or an explanation on how i should go about it.

#5 ·
Right.

I spent several hours with some pipe to make a high mount exhaust for my 500 single. Lots of measuring, cutting, grinding, and then bringing it to a shop that would weld it for me, 'cause my mig would just blow through that stuff. And when I was done I had a frankenstein pipe that fits, and probably flows ok, but it would've been cheaper and quicker to just buy one from somebody that had already done it. And that's just a single cylinder...
And bear in mind that the oem pipe is double wall, so it's not a simple matter to modify it.

Not to discourage you from trying, but to quote a guy that's done some really cool shit and I can't remember his name..." It looks hard, and it's harder than it looks".

FR

#4 ·
Right.

I spent several hours with some pipe to make a high mount exhaust for my 500 single. Lots of measuring, cutting, grinding, and then bringing it to a shop that would weld it for me, 'cause my mig would just blow through that stuff. And when I was done I had a frankenstein pipe that fits, and probably flows ok, but it would've been cheaper and quicker to just buy one from somebody that had already done it. And that's just a single cylinder...
And bear in mind that the oem pipe is double wall, so it's not a simple matter to modify it.

Not to discourage you from trying, but to quote a guy that's done some really cool shit and I can't remember his name..." It looks hard, and it's harder than it looks".

FR

#9 ·
I think the other guys are right. Making exhaust can be a frustrating bitch. Look up a site from a company called Headers by Ed. Lotta car stuff, but he does sell small diameter DIY header "kits". You basically get a bunch of pre-bent/straight sections to cut and weld as you see fit. i think you can even custom order what pieces you get in your kit. He sells bare megaphones too but they're a little bit too large in diameter. Otherwise, JB's your man.

Honda go sideways!

#8 ·
I think the other guys are right. Making exhaust can be a frustrating bitch. Look up a site from a company called Headers by Ed. Lotta car stuff, but he does sell small diameter DIY header "kits". You basically get a bunch of pre-bent/straight sections to cut and weld as you see fit. i think you can even custom order what pieces you get in your kit. He sells bare megaphones too but they're a little bit too large in diameter. Otherwise, JB's your man.

Honda go sideways!

#11 ·
Cool. Then you just have to decide what pipe to use, how you're going to make the bends, how and where to mount it, and what the finish will be. You can get straight pipe and mandrel bent 180 deg. sections from Aircone out in CA. Which is what I did, then go through the same procedure that I described. Bear in mind that if you do that, your pipes will have welded seams at every joint, thus the frankenstein look. You can wrap the pipe with heat wrap, but that may look goofy on a 175. Also the pipe is steel, so you'll need to either powder coat, plate, or paint it. The paint wears off after a few miles, and the pipe develops a nice layer of rust.
Or you might try the local custom exhaust shop, but they probably don't have the small diameter stuff. They can special order it. They can bend it too, but that might take some of the fun out of it.
Either way, you'll need to figure out the two into one joint, which might be tricky. Are you a pretty good Oxy/Acetalyne welder? It's a better way to go than mig, stronger welds with less slag.

FR

#10 ·
Cool. Then you just have to decide what pipe to use, how you're going to make the bends, how and where to mount it, and what the finish will be. You can get straight pipe and mandrel bent 180 deg. sections from Aircone out in CA. Which is what I did, then go through the same procedure that I described. Bear in mind that if you do that, your pipes will have welded seams at every joint, thus the frankenstein look. You can wrap the pipe with heat wrap, but that may look goofy on a 175. Also the pipe is steel, so you'll need to either powder coat, plate, or paint it. The paint wears off after a few miles, and the pipe develops a nice layer of rust.
Or you might try the local custom exhaust shop, but they probably don't have the small diameter stuff. They can special order it. They can bend it too, but that might take some of the fun out of it.
Either way, you'll need to figure out the two into one joint, which might be tricky. Are you a pretty good Oxy/Acetalyne welder? It's a better way to go than mig, stronger welds with less slag.

FR

#13 ·
well i have the tubing, the stock is 1 3/8 but i am going to adapt it to 1 1/2, i have that tubing, i cant weld for crap, but i know a very good tig welder, that will do it for me. i think i am going to powdercoat it, or use high heat paint, cause that stuff works really nice. im just not 100 percent on how to measure and bend and do all of that stuff correctly.

#12 ·
well i have the tubing, the stock is 1 3/8 but i am going to adapt it to 1 1/2, i have that tubing, i cant weld for crap, but i know a very good tig welder, that will do it for me. i think i am going to powdercoat it, or use high heat paint, cause that stuff works really nice. im just not 100 percent on how to measure and bend and do all of that stuff correctly.

#14 ·
well i finally did it. i built my own 2 into 1 exhaust system, it took me a few weeks to finalize it, get all the bends right, get it TIG'd up, get it mounted but the only thing that needs done now is to paint it. it looks awesome i must say. ill post some pic's tomorrow

#16 ·
Capt.

I highly recommend "Dupli-color" ceramic high heat paint. I painted a set of headers, baked it in the powder oven and it's the shiznit. Comes out with the slightly shinier than flat finish that freakin hard as nails...I mean really hard. Still on the pipes about 4-years later, no rust. I was impressed considering it's a rattle can product.

I do think the "curing" is the key though....I did a set once that I didn't cure....figured just riding the bike would cure it....well the parts of the pipe that didn't get hot enough...most solvents would just wipe the paint right off.

It's a pain to cure though...stinks to high heaven and has to be cooked at about 450-500 degrees for like two hours. That's about the limit of my powder oven...probably took $5 worth of electricity to do it.

I've got all kinds of stuff on the pipes, oil, solvents, fuel...just wipes off and doesn't leave a mark. I couldn't even scratch the paint off with a knife.
JohnnyB

PS. has anyone heard of Aircone doing any business lately...last I heard they kind of dropped of the face of the earth about two years ago.

Edited by - jbranson on Apr 18 2007 7:38:30 PM

#20 ·
Dr. b
tried to get the aircoane guys a year ago with no luck. i'm totally bumbed as they built my chamber (copied one built by a close taco friend a few years earlier). their craft was a-1 and attitude even better. the price was better still...wish i had them build two. the 3d geometry involved was trickey to say the least (i deal with building high end stairs so i know the difficulties...) the fit was spot on even though my bike was 2000 miles away from them. i was expecting at least one cut and re-weld to make it work on my bike and right out of the box it was RIGHT-ON. (many 1/8th of an inch had to work). hope those guys turn up again sometime but they've disappeared as far as i can tell.
parks

#25 ·
parks, do you work in metal or wood? i stay far away from stairs. even straight runs. im guessing wood based on the lecture about machine power. 3 woodworkers here. we're such lowlifes.

jc

aaron sent my wheel!

#26 ·
Nice work on the exhaust. Looks like you figured it out pretty damn well. It's also a cool lookin' bike, by the way.
How'd you bend the pipes, they look like they were done on an automotive type bender. Nice collector too.

FR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.