Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,551 Posts
practice

don't waste your time using carbon unless you feel like throwing money away. if you are intending on doing this without creating a mold than you are better off using plain old glass.

1.you need to make a shape ( plug)
2. once this shape is complete... sanded, buffed, waxed etc etc it is time to apply mold release
3. use the plug as your mold ( then you will have to fair the outside of the finished part or parts

or

you could build a mold ( tool to make several parts that will require little or no finishing on the outer surface.

do not bother using carbon since it is expensive and to fully take advantage of its properties you should be vaccumm bagging it or using prepregs... then you need to invest in a vaccumm pump or an autoclave.

sorry to sound like a composites nerd.... i kinda am one

good luck dude
matt t

yes frank if you are reading this.... i am really working on the three things you built those fancy filler necks for cause i cannot show up at the track with one before i make you 3 of your own

· Registered
3,551 Posts
no worries

the autoclave is a tool that will apply heat and pressure to compress and cure prepregged epoxy/carbonfiber and or whatever type of prepregged glass you get. prepregged is a term for a woven or stitched cloth pre impregnated with an epoxy resin. it will come on a roll and appear like a sticker. you caut it and apply it to a mold in an engineered fashion untill you have achieved proper coverage and thickness. i would then cover it with a high temp film designed for this process and stick it into the autoclave. the autoclave will compres and cure the layers forming a solid part.

release and play after that. i pretty much use wet preg... a process that involves saturating a dry colth with an epoxy resin then vaccumm bag this to become a solid part.

i could go on and on but this is the caferacer.net board not goo guy.net. i could go further and tell ya intricate details and secrets.. but then i would have to kill you

i usuallly build a few tanks a season for myself and or trade... totally not worth the time to do... it is a very tedious process and anyone who tells ya otherwise is a liar. i have seen peoples tanks split at the track... not so much fun. good luck, practice and do not waste your money on crappy polyester ones.

matt

· Registered
3,551 Posts
polyester is inferior compared to epoxy. polyester is heavier, and much weaker. also.... polyester is not compatable with gasoline.... it eventually eats the resin away... clogs up carbs etc... poly tanks are usually sealed with a gelcoat or an epoxy sealer..... why not just use epoxy???

matt

ps i am happy to help with any questions you have

· Registered
3,551 Posts
actually we don't have one... when using prepregs...we just post cure the part in our massive oven under vaccumm... same thing.

your tank will be fine. it is epoxy... no problemo

matt

· Registered
3,551 Posts
lost foam should work... I just hate adding unnecessary weight to a part... so for a weee bit more work I most always create a tool (mold) to construct a part. one neat thing about the lost foam method is that you do not have to be concerned about seams or glue joints. i just made a slick tank for my 50cc racer... the thing weighs under 2lbs... the freakin cap weighs 1/2 lb.... dammit!!!! time to start building caps

btw...AARON if you are reading this...... your seat is repaired.... primed this morning.

Matt

latered

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.