Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating fabricating a new fuel tank for my bike from scratch. I intend to use fiberglass (maybe w/ an outer layer of carbon fiber) since I do not have the equipment or knowlege for working with sheet metal.

Does anyone have any advice or links to proceedures for doing this? I am already familiar with the absolute basics of fiberglass work; I am looking for some more advanced stuff, or things dealing specificly with gas tanks/bikes.

I am presently in the process of fabricating a tank extension for a friends bike. I am doing that by sticking styrofoam all over it, carving out the new shape for the tank from that, and laminating some glass on top of that. The first coat of glass went on today without incident, but it looks like there will be a lot of filling and sanding work to be done afterwards.

tanks alot,
bc

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a strange sort of co-incidence, but the shop that I am using to do this work in is the same one that I use to build big autoclaves in. I have one at my disposal right now that is a 24"x36"x42" steam sterilizer, though I can run in on air if heat or vapor phase H2O2 is bad. How the hell do autoclaves help apply composites?

the carbon fiber is only for looks, its pretty.. it only matters that the tank is stong enough to hold back gas at 2 Gs (or whatever a 350 2stroke can do).. everything else (like safety) is secondary.

bc

Edited by - bcrawford on Oct 22 2006 10:54:11 PM

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips, when I get some cash together for the materials, Ill try that trick with the sterilizer.

quote: do not waste your money on crappy polyester ones.
so, it polyester itself bad?, or is it just that the commercially available tanks which happen to be make w/ polyester happen to suck?

quote: ..but then i would have to kill you
since its monday, that is actually a tempting offer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.