Cafe Racer Forum banner

Fack me

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  jaguar 
#1 ·
I get an inkling sometimes that there is a fraction of a chance in a million that I could be a semi-decent percentage that I could be an ok person. For the very real reason that I locally look at bikes for people in the neighborhood before they buy them.

This is the sort of thing I find all the time and scream 'RUN AWAY' at all day long.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/5412788451.html

Two weeks ago I had a guy about to drop NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS on a SOHC CB750 that did not run but had Benji's shit all over it.

Today I've taken apart a 'notable' builders bike that has featured on pipe burn allegedly and found that they never installed the stem nut to secure the trees to the frame. Oh and the 22mm spec float height ranged between 19 and a million throughout the carbs. It has firestones on it. It has screw connectors on every wire. The bolt allowing for adjustment of the floating caliper was missing, and it's valves could fit dicks in them.

I'm getting ready to drive down to the South to see these guys and scream a bunch. This guy seriously could have been injured.

Also, he paid 10 grand.

Fuck.

Me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Holy shit dude.
I understand people doing bullshit repairs and mods to a bike, it boils down to a lack of skill, knowledge, money, or all three.
But people spending that kind of money on a bike without knowing or checking these kinds of things is just ridiculous.

#3 ·
I get an inkling sometimes that there is a fraction of a chance in a million that I could be a semi-decent percentage that I could be an ok person. For the very real reason that I locally look at bikes for people in the neighborhood before they buy them.

Today I've taken apart a 'notable' builders bike that has featured on pipe burn allegedly and found that they never installed the stem nut to secure the trees to the frame. Oh and the 22mm spec float height ranged between 19 and a million throughout the carbs. It has firestones on it. It has screw connectors on every wire. The bolt allowing for adjustment of the floating caliper was missing, and it's valves could fit dicks in them.

Which build on pipe burn?

#7 ·
Number one reason why I do my own work... Two centuries ago I had a bike shop in San Diego put a new front tire on my bike. Picked the bike up and soon discovered they never tighten down the caps on the bottom of the front forks holding the front axe. After that day - I do my own work. This guy should give you a dinner at the most expensive place in NYC as you obviously saved his ass from a serious accident..

#8 ·
I had a shop forget to put a wheel spacer back on the front axle. Didn't discover it until I went to put some brake pads on a few weeks later. WTF!!! I even remember telling the shop foreman, a friend of mine, "Thanks for letting the new guy work on my bike" in a sarcastic tone after finding out it was his first day. Needless to say, they were quite apologetic and offered me like $100 in fluids.

#12 ·
#13 ·
The OP isn't. He is a 29 year old prick.
The new mechanic claims to have worked with IL.
But in the other thread he just said it was IL old shop. Didn't some T shirt clowns buy it to flog a good name?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.