Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
1. SV650 - It will do anything that needs doing from racing to sport touring. It has a huge aftermarket and is highly under rated and undervalued.
2. BSA A65 - I think it is the best of the Britbike unit construction engines. It has a decent architecture to work from and the mods to keep it happy are well sorted and documented. It is also the best looking, in that I like the rocker cover and the primary cover. I like the IOF versions as long as the frame is properly braced at the swing arm pivot so it doesn't crack and leak oil. I also wouldn't mind one in Trackmaster frame.
3. I also like the Ironhead Sportster. I would like it with a rightside shift and an electric starter, bigger forks and better brakes. Probably and FZR600 front end with blue dot calipers, an XS650 front hub with 18" alloy rims front and rear.

Ken

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You guys are awesome!!! Thank you for taking the time to give me such detailed answers. When I get home I'm going to look up all these bikes so I can have a visual to match your descriptions.
I'm sure that with time, once the knowledge comes along, I'll be better able to formulate my own opinions, but as for now sometimes I look at the bikes you guys drool over and I just don't see it or I look at the bikes you guys bash and I think to myself "what's wrong with that bike? It looks great to me..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What you guys need on here is a monthly game for noobs... Similar to spot the difference. Where you post a picture of a bike and we have to say what's wrong with it / unsafe about it just by looking at it...that would be amazing!!!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
What you guys need on here is a monthly game for noobs... Similar to spot the difference. Where you post a picture of a bike and we have to say what's wrong with it / unsafe about it just by looking at it...that would be amazing!!!
We do that already, it's called every time a noob posts "look at my bike".

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Meh, that would imply that we actually want a tone of new members.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Do you guys not want new members?

I wouldn't say we don't.
But I would say that the majority that come here via the google drag net are useless and I personally would like it if they didn't join.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I wouldn't say we don't.
But I would say that the majority that come here via the google drag net are useless and I personally would like it if they didn't join.
Lol, We're not all bad... Just ignorant and filled with unrealistic hopes and dreams :)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Do you guys not want new members?

The crew that considers themselves the educators runs the new people through a series of god cop, bad cop lectures. If you roll over and submit you're sorta in otherwise you're run through the shredded. Many aspire to be amongst the educators and a few are complete asshats. Enjoy the fun.

·
Registered
182 Posts
One Bike that I have owned and regretted selling was my 1998 Bright Yellow Honda firestorm VTR1000. (Think they were called Super Hawk in USA) I did'nt even take it for a test ride, I bought it for its looks and sound of that beautiful VTwin. I also lust after a Ducati 996. Next on my bucket list.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
One Bike that I have owned and regretted selling was my 1998 Bright Yellow Honda firestorm VTR1000. (Think they were called Super Hawk in USA) I did'nt even take it for a test ride, I bought it for its looks and sound of that beautiful VTwin. I also lust after a Ducati 996. Next on my bucket list.
Agree with you on the VTR. I've had 2 of them, not without their problems, and my current one is far from perfect. Still a great bike to ride for little money though.

Attachments

Reactions: Wydglyd

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I had to give this a lot of thought. Not a whole lot of new bikes that I like. Much like cars, quite a good percentage have just gotten too powerful, to complex and just too fucking expensive.

Both of my examples are both old and new.

For old, I also (can't believe this is possible) choose the Yamaha SR500. So direct, so simple and so much damn fun to ride. Just don't try to start one of the old ones warm. If it were still as mine was in '79, is have bought another.

Which brings me to "modern". I bought a "new" Royal Enfield continental GT a few weeks ago and as of yet, I have zero complaints with it. It's a new bike for them, but like their Bullet range, it reeks new/old vintage. EFI, electric start and their now unit constitution (I laugh) OHV thumper, it's a good piece.

I had actually gone out for a new Bonneville and would have bought one, if either of the Detroit dealers wanted to actually sell a bike. They would be y'all's perfect definition of hipster trash. The one "salesman" who actually made a half hearted attempt was aghast that I didn't drool over his with a rattle can Matt paint job and NO FRONT CALIPER! Disc was there, no caliper. No lever...no brains...

Anyway, nice bike. The suspension is set up pretty well, has a great set of rubber and is fairly comfy, given my age and ergos, for 80-100 miles a sitting.

·
Registered
790 Posts
1/ i liked the guzzi bellagio, and the griso was ok, loved my 97 sport 1100i, esp to look at. ducati sport 1000 was about the only thing we sold at that time that interested me, well that and the s4rs. best bike they've built i'd almost say. altho a thru the gears romp on an 1198 is pretty cool. monster 696 are cool and easy to ride, without enough power to tempt me into stupdity. i always enjoyed mv 750 brutales.

2/ 851 - 1989 , sp2 and sp3. lemans. i love everything about the sfc except riding them, they're horrid. ridden way too many ducati bevel drives to have any interest in any of them, visually or for riding.

3/ when i was riding a lot, i rathered my r1100s to my sport 1100i to ride, but the guzzi looked and sounded way better. 851 is old and slow, but again i love how it looks and sounds (well, sounded, hasn't been started in 10 years). i have a long list of bikes i'd love to have to look at only (sfc at the top).

·
Registered
405 Posts
I too own an SR500 since new,so I guess you could say it is my favorite old bike...
Starting it became an issue if you didnt follow the procedure carefully.. I remember many a time when new, that it was an easy bike to kill at a stop sign.. youd have to quickly walk the bike to the side and let those behind drive past before jumping on the start lever a while, to try to clear it out...yes sometimes it was a bitch to restart...
I also own a yg1 ( bought as a basket case) there is something about stamped steel frames that is so appealing to me..

my favorite new bike right now is my xt250 ..It dose so many things pretty well. If yamaha would have offered this type with a larger motor I would have bought it , yet being efi and having the simple hop ups of a gear change and the programmer addition, its sufficent forme ( thou I think it will need a heavyer clutch before too long )

·
Registered
893 Posts
Which brings me to "modern". I bought a "new" Royal Enfield continental GT a few weeks ago and as of yet, I have zero complaints with it. It's a new bike for them, but like their Bullet range, it reeks new/old vintage. EFI, electric start and their now unit constitution (I laugh) OHV thumper, it's a good piece.

Anyway, nice bike. The suspension is set up pretty well, has a great set of rubber and is fairly comfy, given my age and ergos, for 80-100 miles a sitting.

what would you say the minimum rider height is that can comfortably ride a new GT? Do they have a low seat option?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Older: Honda VF500F; Very capable little bike. Yamaha RZ350; A bit less civilized than the interceptor.

Modern: MV Agusta 1090RR, April RSV4. After riding something like these a bit, the fascination with older "performance" bikes will pall. The car magazines have tested 68 Jag's and similar age 911's and found that modern minivans will lap Laguna Seca faster. An analogous evolution has occurred in sport bikes. I suppose one can justify the fascination with older bikes by appealing to aesthetics, or citing lack of funds, but if you insist on a E type, avoid those minivans.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
this thread needs pics.

It's kind of odd to ask someone their "favorite" of something in hopes of getting a broader view, because you rely on everyone else having a narrow view. I don't play favorites but I have things I like:

1) New Bikes

BMW S1000RR. Esp in that funky green color:
BMW_S1000RR_45559.jpg
Why? because the twisted perverse side of me likes all the amazing tech in this bike to make what would otherwise be an unrideable monster as docile as a honda civic. It's faster than it has any right to be, and more complex than any motorcycle should be, but it all works. I imagine this bike inspires so many near death religious experiences that its riders eventually become german motorcycle messiahs, and everyone should own a bike that inspires surprise brown moments if for no other reason to be humbled in the presence of greatness. Plus I love the whole "we're bmw and we are going to take on the establishment of big four japanese sport bikes" and then they actually do it and are successful. I am going to throw the new Kawasaki H2 and H2R into this camp too because it is Kawasaki trying something different, the bike is supercharged, and it's batshit insane.
moto-revue.jpg

Moto Guzzi Griso:
2010-MotoGuzzi-Griso12008VSEa.jpg
The griso is just a nice bike to ride. It's not a harley, not a cruiser, not a sport bike, and not terribly interesting to look at. But it rides really nice. If someone told me I could only have 1 motorcycle ever to do it all this is probably what I would pick.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500:
slide.png
Its a sporting single, and the world needs more traditional sporting singles.

Triumph scrambler:
07_scram_green_275.jpg
It's a useful city bike and comes with a 270 degree crank. I wish they would go back to the white and pop colors they used to have instead of all the military versions they are selling now.

2) Old Bikes:

anything big, italian and made in the 1970s:
1975-1975-ducati-750-supe-1_600x0w.jpg

moto_guzzi_850_le_mans.jpg

laverda_750_sf_1973.jpg

If you are going to judge a bike on it's looks, these are the gold standards. Forget hacked up Hondas these were designed by people who knew the true face of motorcycle beauty. Don't get me wrong each one of these is probably a gigantic pain in the ass to own if you are used to the set it and forget it luxury of a new bike, but when they work they work in a way that can best be described as full of character.

Bevel Ducati Mike Hailwood replica:
electro_030.jpg
To me this is one of the most beautiful motorcycles made. It's also quirky and fun to ride and a punch in the dick to maintain. This was the bike that set the hook that I would be in love with motorcycles forever.

Rickman CR750:
Rickman_Honda_CR750_picture1.JPG
To me this represents the cafe racer better than anything. and it looks like a freight train standing still, it's a mongrel of the best of japanese and british know how at the time, and it's pretty.

Krauser MKM100:

I was trying to think about how to add a bmw to the list and was going to go with a daytona orange R90S as a fav, but the MKM is so bonkers and I have loved it for so long I had to mention it.

Anything with a tracy body:

this is pure sentimentality. To me this is what a hot rod 70's motorcycle looks like.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Favorite old bike would have to be my current daily rider. 1981 GL1100.
gl1100.JPG

Favorite new bike, that's a hard one, so many to choose from. But one that is certainly close to if not at the top
is the Triumph Street Triple R. May be the best motorcycle dollar for dollar than anything else on the market.
It is just a blast to ride and really needs nothing off the showroom floor, except maybe a windscreen.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts