Cafe Racer Forum banner

Favorite "New" bike & Favorite "Old" bike

10K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  grandpaul 
#1 ·
While reading through the archives, I've come to realize that my only basis for liking a motorcycle is how it looks... This obviously isn't as it should be. I'm learning that you guys factor in many variables when deciding whether a bike is to your taste. So... For the sake of learning purposes... I was hoping you guys could tell me:
1) what is your favorite modern bike ( made in the last 10-15 years)
2) what is your favorite older/vintage bike
3) why? Power? Speed? Looks? Sentimentality?

#46 ·
If I was going to buy a new bike, the new fz-09 with a few simple mods looks nice. Price is right, too.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Automotive exhaust

Anyone like the naked S1000R or S1000XR? outta my price range...

My experience with older bikes is limited to a few only. My cb1100f doesn't run :(. I like the cb550 for the balance of handling and modest (barely) power. the kz1100 is too heavy for my tastes.

#47 ·
1) 80's CB750F Super Sport

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

My dad had an 82, rode it for a decade, never saw him scratch his head dealing with it. It's a simple bike, compared to today's modern crotch rockets, but with good bits it can be turned like this:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motorcycle racer

Freddie's bike, to which I think is the only peg for a DOHC F racer build. A lot of members here posted about it as it should be, and really made sense.

2) RC42

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

It's not really new, but Honda made it til 07 I think so what the heck. Practically the same bike but with modern parts. It's an homage to my favorite old bike hence the bias.

3) So maybe my reason is familiarity, since I grew up with that bike. Also I'm an 80's superbike fan. Some say these bikes are boring, but I'm a simple guy who likes simple machines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.