Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all forgive me if this isnt the right section for this question.
I am very interested in getting a second motorcycle to make a true racer out of. I want to keep this on a budget and be able to do the work myself. It will see some track time when it is done, but it has to be street legal too. My question is, what bikes do you guys and gals like for this kind of application and why. I have always had a thing for the KZ400's, so that was what i have been looking for, but i havent had a lot of luck yet. I currently have a Suzuki GS450t that i wouldnt be opposed to converting, although it is electric start only and i would like to have kick start at least as an option. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brew

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the gs is a rocketship racer. good luck building a street legal racer. if its going to have a full charging system and wiring and all that other shit, whats wrong with having electric start too? im honestly a little confused as to why someone would want to build a street leagal roadracer. why bother. youre going to crash and wreck it at the track. youre smarter building a dedicated machine.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the gs is a rocketship racer. good luck building a street legal racer. if its going to have a full charging system and wiring and all that other shit, whats wrong with having electric start too? im honestly a little confused as to why someone would want to build a street leagal roadracer. why bother. youre going to crash and wreck it at the track. youre smarter building a dedicated machine.

jc

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Brew,
It depends on which organization(s) you are going to be racing with. If you are going to race AHRMA and WERA, which given your location would be best, then a GS450 would be a great way to go. In AHRMA you could run lightweight vintage superbike and with WERA I think it would be V3. It would be competitive in both classes. Joe is wrong!!! If you are just starting out racing then get a street legal bike, do an exhaust, brake pads, stainless steel brake lines,rearsets, handlebars, tires and suspension. Do not do anything to the engine, intake (other than jetting), and electrical. Spend your time at the track getting track time not working on your bike. I highly recommend having an electric starter on your first race bike. I guarantee that you would not go any faster on a worked over bike until you learn what you need. The bike will be faster than you are. I would look for a GS450 model that has 18" wheels front and rear for tire availability.

Ken

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Brew,
It depends on which organization(s) you are going to be racing with. If you are going to race AHRMA and WERA, which given your location would be best, then a GS450 would be a great way to go. In AHRMA you could run lightweight vintage superbike and with WERA I think it would be V3. It would be competitive in both classes. Joe is wrong!!! If you are just starting out racing then get a street legal bike, do an exhaust, brake pads, stainless steel brake lines,rearsets, handlebars, tires and suspension. Do not do anything to the engine, intake (other than jetting), and electrical. Spend your time at the track getting track time not working on your bike. I highly recommend having an electric starter on your first race bike. I guarantee that you would not go any faster on a worked over bike until you learn what you need. The bike will be faster than you are. I would look for a GS450 model that has 18" wheels front and rear for tire availability.

Ken

·
Registered
33 Posts
Short of Rich Graver, I may have more time on a GS450 then anyone, great racebike's! I will have one again someday, At the end I ran an RZ350 front end with the RZ mag wheel, you could fit up those RZ rims & run Wera F500, V3 & Vintage lightweight SB in AHRMA.

For now however, the best racer is the one that's in the garage.

or if you prefer F500

or Superbike

·
Registered
33 Posts
Short of Rich Graver, I may have more time on a GS450 then anyone, great racebike's! I will have one again someday, At the end I ran an RZ350 front end with the RZ mag wheel, you could fit up those RZ rims & run Wera F500, V3 & Vintage lightweight SB in AHRMA.

For now however, the best racer is the one that's in the garage.

or if you prefer F500

or Superbike

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
what i mean to say is, and sorry if anyone was confused, i think building a racebike you can ride on the street to work is just lame. it will be no good as either, in my opinion. too much extra crap to roadrace well, and not enough of the good stuff to street ride without always working on it. to put the lights and shit back on, pulling the belly pan off, etc. i realize ahrma clubman rules are the best case of this kind of build, but the fast guys i can pretty much guarantee arent doing that. and yes, i know big bob rides his and i think holds the number 1 plate, but im pretty sure the 750 grids are pretty anemic. (no slight to bobs riding or building skills at all) yes, buy a bike that runs. yes, do the bare essentials needed to make it fun and somewhat competitive, seat time is the most important thing. but dont bother building something youre going to have to be taking the headlight in and out of. or the tailight. or kickstand. i just dont get why someone would build a racebike, they could ride on the street. it can get stolen. crashed, knocked over, whatever. or it will eventually get wadded at the track, and will have paid the insurance money for nothing. the street kills racebikes, and the racetrack kills street bikes.

bob, nice 350! are those ti headers???!!!

cool dual plug head, you should ditch the battery. love my pvl!!! what is up with that cable routing????!!!

http://forums.13x.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31062&d=1210980818

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
what i mean to say is, and sorry if anyone was confused, i think building a racebike you can ride on the street to work is just lame. it will be no good as either, in my opinion. too much extra crap to roadrace well, and not enough of the good stuff to street ride without always working on it. to put the lights and shit back on, pulling the belly pan off, etc. i realize ahrma clubman rules are the best case of this kind of build, but the fast guys i can pretty much guarantee arent doing that. and yes, i know big bob rides his and i think holds the number 1 plate, but im pretty sure the 750 grids are pretty anemic. (no slight to bobs riding or building skills at all) yes, buy a bike that runs. yes, do the bare essentials needed to make it fun and somewhat competitive, seat time is the most important thing. but dont bother building something youre going to have to be taking the headlight in and out of. or the tailight. or kickstand. i just dont get why someone would build a racebike, they could ride on the street. it can get stolen. crashed, knocked over, whatever. or it will eventually get wadded at the track, and will have paid the insurance money for nothing. the street kills racebikes, and the racetrack kills street bikes.

bob, nice 350! are those ti headers???!!!

cool dual plug head, you should ditch the battery. love my pvl!!! what is up with that cable routing????!!!

http://forums.13x.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31062&d=1210980818

jc

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info guys, and i love those bikes bob. Joe, i want a bike that i can take the track and have some fun with, where i can ride it harder than i can on the street. Im not looking to be a really competitive racer right now, im just starting out. I get what you are saying, and i do agree, but i just want enough of a bike i can take to the track, and throw it around some.
Again, thanks for the info, and convincing me that the gs will be a good start for me, now i just have to figure out what kind of set up im going to do.
Keep the advice coming though, i like to see what everyone thinks.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
buy a honda f4i 600 and make that your street/trackday bike. wire oil drain and fill, tape up lights and turnsignals, run water-wetter rather than glycol antifreeze, and goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

tex

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Talk to Rich M., he has the prettiest street/race CB350 out there...although it weighs about 200lbs too much for JB's concerns. :)

Since the title of this thread is favorite race bike (not necessarily your own), this would be my favorite...if I could ever get one!

or for the bigger guys among us.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those are some awesome looking bikes, and yes, i want to see and here what your favorite race bikes are. Its good to get some words of encouragement on my own bike, but everything you guys show me give me some ideas.
What kind of Yamaha is that, i love that thing.
Tex, that was an idea i had going, but i just love the vintage bikes, for some reason i just have an undying attraction to them.
Keep the ideas coming guys.

·
Registered
44 Posts

and im still trying to figure out what seat that is if anyone knows?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Brew,

I went down the path that you're contemplating about this time last year with my cb450. It was all I had to work with at the time and I didn't want to wait any longer to start racing. All in all, I'd say it's worked out pretty well so far. Most of what everyone's saying about why it's a bad idea is true, HOWEVER, if all you want to do is get out on the track, get licensed to race and start learning but still be able to ride to work on Monday, it is do-able. I'm doing it now, I say give it a try. (FWIW I am planning on ditching all of the street stuff to make a pure race bike over the winter. As a cafe bike on the track, it's just too much weight.)

-mark

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Thanks Pete,
but mine is only street legal for the time being, I wanted to be able to ride the bike on the roads around my home really just to test it out before I brought it to the track for the first time, and I have the stock charging system and wire harness so putting it on the road is just a matter of putting the head light tail light and mirrors on, over the winter ill be changing to a pvl, chucking the battery and a few other things to get weight down, once that’s been done it will no longer be street able, at least not legally. bottom line is its a compromise if you want to do both race and street you can but you’ll pay a price mostly on the race side, the faster you want to go the less street able it will become

1 - 19 of 19 Posts