Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Pardon my dumb questions, but I've always thumbed my nose up at CB350's and CB360's as far too common, but as I've aged and the time available for exotic machinery (and $$) has been depleted to zero, I'm starting to wonder about CB350 racing... AND at the same time two CB360's (Three Six Zero) have ended up in my barn... one has no electric start (T). Are they junk compared to 350's, better or worse... Am I wasting my time at work thinking about building a Formula CB out of one of them?

Any opinions...
Thanks
karl

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Karl, there's someone up here who has a built 360 racer, by Timmy at the shoppe, it's silver, and it seems to go really good. 6 speeds, right? It's a great bike . . .

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
PS, Karl, this has been hashed to death here on other threads . . . do a search.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I keep hearing rumors that the FCB grid is going to be growing and growing over the next few years. I hope so.

Karl, I am a family guy who got into racing, rather than a racer who got into a family, as you are. But most of us end up in the same place. Family stuff is priority and smaller amount of race funds to play with. I think the FCB class fits well. I must admit though, that I am eyeing my kids' college funds and thinking a nice RD350 would be fun. Who needs higher education anyway....

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Karl,

Two of the biggest benefits to the CB350 has been the extensive development that has already been done, by others, for the motor to make big power. And the aftermarket availability of high HP parts. Both of those are meaningless for the FCB class where you have to have a stock motor.

Decent suspension and brakes are going to get you on the track and competitive on a CB360.

Craig

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
One other thing to think about. We've talked about this before. Building a bike that can only be raced with, or only fits into the USCRA rulebook may be something to consider. I don't think a CB360 is legal for the 350gp class with WERA. That may only leave you with a single race track and three races a year. That may or may not be a problem.

Craig

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
That's Marc Goulet'sCB360 I belive. Yeah, he and Tim did an excellent job on it. It's not an FCB bike though. It's got a disk brake and I belive it's got mikunis too.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
karl, bring it on! ive been dying someone to do one for the fcb class. im not sure they are legal for 350gp at wera, but i wont tell. :D

alita ran a 360 for a while didnt she??

"follow alita, shes on a honda" iirc!

cool.

jc

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Karl,
sure it's legal and would make a decent stock platform with it's displacement advantage, braced frame and 6 speed. But all that aside,

why?

I'm sure when you guys all started racing the bikes were more exotic than what we see, when that generation left the bikes went too. Now Karl, Champ and Parks are talking FCB (and Vile CB) and while it may be a joke I would be bummed if the great REAL racing machines you guys normally run disappeared from the grids & paddock. I WISH I had a real live pukka racer to race around, I'm sure others feel the same. In a way the FCB grid lives vicariously through you guys.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
point taken rosko, but i for one miss seeing karls leathers at the track. well, i miss alot now i guess. karl has plenty of cool shit stashed away im sure to keep everyone hapy for years. even with just a few cameo appearances a year. id love to grid up next to karl at some point. and the rest of those guys i used to watch before i got "into it" so to speak. champ and parks too. for cryig out loud, at this rate, rab will be back!

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
besides, id love to see someone silencs all those cb360 nay sayers!!!

JC

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i'm with craig on the building a bike for more clubs issue......

but as joe said, i won't protest.

besides, the cb360 is 356cc....who cares!

let's race.

texy

besides, the cb350 is just plain faster....i don't care what clancypants or dirty pete says.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, well....... CB360's do have a 6 speed transmission but the one with kick start only is a "CJ" it only has 5 speeds. The frame on the CJ is a little different too although not much. Go for it they're fun to ride and with suitable suspension upgrades they can handle reasonably well and you don't have to brace the frame anywhere to get as stiff a frame and the 350 is with bracing. I have one with a slightly built motor and it ran reasonable well in USCRA light weight supervintage. The problem with them is that VRRA in Canada don't allow them in light weight super and you have to run in middle weight production where they're not quite so competative. If you want to ride in AHRMA..... welllll.... good luck. They don't even want to see them. I was told I could run in battle of the twins against modern twins but that was it. In WERE I think they run in V1 whether they're built or not. But maybe they'll let them into something else but I don't really know.

If I were you I'd put one on the track and spank Texy's ass.

Mike O.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
mikey,

bring it down to summit in june and spank it yourself.

texy

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Do it. In Wera it runs V-1 and in AHRMA it runs in Lightweight Vintage Superbike, where I believe it can be competitive. I have run Lightweight on my CB350 and have done well. The top bikes would be a 500 single or GS450. I think a mildly built 360 could be OK.
Ken

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
If you showed of for a wera race or 2, i wouldnt care.

jc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts