Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question i can remove starter motor,but can i remove all the inner part that go with it?
same question on kick starter, is it ok to remove the inners or just the lever ?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Midge,

These are the type of questions that created the discussion (and some pissed off people) on the WERA board recently.

The way I read the rules is that rule #1 says Stock engines with 5% overbore. No internal modifications. I'd consider removing the kick starter shaft that's on the inside of the engine an internal modification. But there's the rule that allows electronic ignitions. How can you install a PVL electronic ignition without removing the electric start crap that's on the inside of the ignition. I'd say remove the electric starter crap but leave the kickstarter crap.

But Karl Smolenski is on this forum some times and he's on the rules committee. Or send Doug Donelan an email at [email protected]. That way you'd get a ruling that would stand up to a protest and not some yahoo giving you an opinion on the internet.

Craig

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
One other thing you should keep in mind as you build your bike. If you have any thoughts to racing with other organizations in the future, e.g. WERA, AHRMA or the VRRA, you should take a look at their rulebooks as well. The organizations don't always agree. And in this case they really don't agree.

Craig

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
quote:ps...it ain't my class...idgaf
You should gaf as its not fair for one to follow the rules and another not. thats the problem we face with the uscra, there always seems to be a rule that some one conceives thats good for them self or interpret to there satisfaction(rule bender).

JS

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I like parks comment.

The ladies and gentleman of the USCRA's FCB have come to the universal understanding that an 'internal modification' is one that requires removing the engine from the frame. For most that would mean removing the electric starter is fine but the kickstart is not.

The way things are shaping up we are going to have a great grid this year, I'm counting 5 new riders in FCB if everyone gets their act together! Yeah baby!

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Turn 1 bitches. Beat you to it Tex!
It's great to see the class growing and ultimately feeding the "real" classes.
Performance gain or weight reduction? I see a noteable distinction, although they're somewhat related. I don't write the rules or enforce them either.

Welcome to FCB Midge.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
contrary to my friend's implication, i don't think there is a problem in the uscra ( with cheating). each class has a number of (smart) people who know the machinery and rules and enforce them with simple communication. i certainly don't believe any of the "fast guys" in any of the various classes are or have been "bending the rules" let alone cheating and would risk the humiliation of being busted. i don't "gaf" if someone who is out to have a good time running around the back of the field with a bike which is legal in one club but maybe not in another (like ours).
my appologies to all for a flip answer and comment (idgaf) (actually i DO gaf) to some legit questions about which the specifics i was uninformed. i am done bending over.
-parks
eater of humble pie

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Parks,

Your answer was posted as I was typing mine. I was refering to myself as the yahoo with the opinion. (I'm a slow typist) Neither you nor I race in that class.

I agree with you that I don't think there's a problem with cheating in the USCRA. I think there's more a problem with not having rules followed. You don't "gaf" if someone is at the back of the field with an illegal bike. Do you "gaf" if they are at the front of the pack?

If the racers of the FCB class come to a universal understanding of what should be followed they should be insuring that that understanding gets written into the rulebook so that new racers come into that class with the same understanding. When a new racer, or a racer from another organization, follows the rulebook exactly and then shows up to the first race and finds out that nobody else is following the same rulebook because it's not a "real" class they won't be too happy to continue to make the effort to continue to race with the USCRA. In my opinion these are the type of little things that give racers from other organizations the feeling that the USCRA is not a real race organization. The USCRA is going to have to do some creative things over the next few years in order to continue to survive. Bringing in racers from other organizations is one of those things.

But fuck it. I don't race in that class. Do whatever you guys want.

Parks - the first part of all this was for you. I didn't intend to call you a yahoo. The rest was just a rant on my part.

Craig

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
quote: If the racers of the FCB class come to a universal understanding of what should be followed they should be insuring that that understanding gets written into the rulebook so that new racers come into that class with the same understanding. When a new racer, or a racer from another organization, follows the rulebook exactly and then shows up to the first race and finds out that nobody else is following the same rulebook because it's not a "real" class they won't be too happy to continue to make the effort to continue to race with the USCRA. In my opinion these are the type of little things that give racers from other organizations the feeling that the USCRA is not a real race organization. The USCRA is going to have to do some creative things over the next few years in order to continue to survive. Bringing in racers from other organizations is one of those things.
I LOVE HIRKO!!!

JS

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
hirco-lees
i love yah too.
to you fcb types...
i gaf a lot when someone in my class is out of bounds (and have had a few one on one "communications" g-ing a.f. over the years). and as a friend mentioned in recent conversation, i also gaf if someone schemes all winter long to stretch the possibilities beyond the original intent of a/the rule(s). that being said, sometimes the rules aren't totally specific and need to be clarified. do a quick call to the rules guys. it's not cool to ask for forgiveness or to be exceptional just because you did a lot of work over the winter and thought it might be o.k. to bend the intent. i must sound like a yahoo by now.
-parks

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
quote:
I do believe that there is a consensus among the riders. If clarifying that would be helpful I'm happy to consolidate a more specific set of rules for FCB if folks think it is necessary.
Just keep any rule regarding rainbow lightning bolts out the new book!

Yeller'
---
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs”

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
i'm bummin' where's branson on this?? i thought for sure he would chime in on this subject. i like his calculator mind.

JS

1 - 20 of 70 Posts