Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you fcb 350 guys help me out, I have reached the point where I need to safety wire the motor and I’m not sure what is required, I got the obvious ones things like oil drain and fill, but there are a few I may be missing, if you could point out every thing that needs to be wired it would be very helpful, also do I need to drill a hole in the oil fill plug and attach a hose to the catch can?
The motor is a cb 350g
Thanks midge

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
midge-

you don't have to vent the fill cap but johnnyB will swear it's worth some power, but you do need to wire it shut. also the obvious drain plug. then the valve/tappet covers and be careful not to drill though the back of the covers and actually cause a leak (easy and common). then i've been reteched for that litte hexhead bolt on the left side of the engine at about 2'oclock from the cam in the cam cover.

what else guys? i guess your exhaust stud bolts, a clutch seal holder.

tt

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
midge,

The valve/tappet covers are nice to do but not required. As tt mentioned the exhaust stud bolts/nuts need saftey wire, and the clutch seal retainer needs to be there and be sure to safety wire that bolt near the top of the engine on the left side. That's used to make sure oil is pumping to the top of the motor after a rebuild. There will be a lof of oil behind that bolt. I'm not sure if the stock carbs have drains, but if they do they need safety wire. You don't need a breather line attached to the oil fill. But you need the breather line at the top of the motor routed to a catch can. A second one is a nice to have thing but not at all needed on a stock motor. That's about it as far as the motor goes. You do have the rest of the chassis wired already, right?

Craig

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok I have the oil drain and fill wired, I did the tappet covers, I have the hose from the top vent of motor to a can, my stock carbs have drains and I’ll be wiring them too, I put on a clutch seal retainer,
Looks like I got most of it,
When I get home I’ll look for the left side bolt you are talking about,
On the chassis if I remember I did the axel nuts, the brake stay, something on the front drum, I know I need to do master link on chain, I didn't do the cable adjusters on the hand levers, would have to look to see if I did anything else
Thanks guys champ said you would know what to do

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
couple more. The throttle cables need to be wired to the carbs so the cable can't pull out from the carb. They also need to be wired to the housing. Any bolts holding the exhaust in place need to be wired. Any cables that control the brakes need to be wired to the housing and at the brake itself. The nuts on the bottom of the forks that hold the axle need to be wired. The three recessed bolts that hold the cover to the oil filter, put some 3m weather strip adhesive, aka Gorilla Snot, on them. Fork drains. Any bolts holding the footpegs in place.
The fuel lines need to be hosed clamped in place. The carb drain lines are supposed to go to the catch can. Also not required but a good idea is to lockwire the shifter on. Too many of those fall off and could ruin your weekend.
Craig

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
**there is a oil-retaining bolt on the points side of the motor just top-right of the points assembly, that absolutely must be wired!!!

-upper and lower rear shock mounting bolts

-all brake related bolts/ linkages

-brake, clutch, and throttle cable

-fork axle nuts

-any fender bolts

-your rearsets/ footpegs and shift lever pinch-bolt

-any exhaust mounting bolts

I think thats it.

I also put black RTV type sealant/ gasket over the 3 cent. oil filter bolt holes and 3 alt side screws so that they don't back out.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Basically if it can fall off it will. Wire more than the rulebook requires and you should go through tech without any problems. Gill will still make up something you forgot but that's basically because one of those fell off at one point for someone in some past race. And he'll tell you all about it.

Craig

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
You see Rosko is telling you more than the rulebook absolutly requires. But all good stuff to wire anyhow. Shit that could ruin your or someone elses weekend should be wired.
Craig

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
yeah, a gill induced front to back would look a little like this and a lot like mine:

-front axle clamp studs/bolts
-fork oil drain
-front brake stay bolts at both ends
-brake cable at both ends
-fender bolts (4)
-tach cable at both ends
-steering damper hardware (all)
-both footpegs, all hardware
-all exhaust mounts
-top/bottom rear suspension
-rear brake stay front and back
-axle adjuster bolts
-rear brake adjuster nut
-carb drain bolts
-gearshift lever pinch bolt
-tappet covers
-oil bolt in cam cover
-oil fill
-oil drain
-clutch seal retainer
-oil filter cover (this was a new one from Dave Evans a couple years ago)

i'm sure there's one or two more

-tt

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i hate drilling tiny little holes, but i'll do it any way, no chance i'll have the cb ready for vintage, so i think i'll bring my camera and take some pictures of your bikes so i can get all of these wire points done for the june event. look for me i will be taking up the rear on my reiju

thanks midge

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
c'mon midge,

if you had to, you could do this from scratch in two nights, and you have four.

add the clutch cable at the lever

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
A bunch of HSS 1/16 drill bits. A six pack of beer. And you can have this done in two nights. Once you get good at it you can do it in one.

Most people have their own technique but I like to keep the drill bit cool by putting a drop of cutting oil on the spot I'm drilling. And use a slow speed on the drill.

Don't wimp out when you are so close. This is where you hear racers bragging about working all night to get the bike ready for the track. Of course Champ will tell you this should have been done in December.

Craig

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
craig-

gill was my motivation for the tach cable and some other not really needed stuff. but i don't argue in the tech line, just like i don't argue with cops. and i especially don't argue with cops in the tech line...as difficult as that has been.

-tt

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you guys suck, now its like a challenge, I only have 2 days tonight and tomorrow nigh maybe a little bit of wed night, I was going to drive up Thursday, if it was just the wiring, I think your right I could get it done, but I have to put the motor in add the carbs and exhaust, new chain, fuel lines, cables, body work ect.. . Then see if it will start, go in a straight line and stop,
Ahh hell im going to go home and give it a shot. See ya later

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
midge-

get the bike together, then drill as many holes as you can, then load things up thursday. when you get to the track, unload, find that 6-pak craig mentioned and get busy twisting wire...at least you'll have someone to talk to and if you're good, you can pull a tom sawyer and make it fun for everyone else to finish your bike....maybe bring more than the 6-pak. hell, then you still have unti 3'oclock practice on friday...or even saturday morning practice.

-tt

1 - 20 of 30 Posts