Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just cant get enough of cafe racer styled bikes ,so I type in the MSN live search engine Cafe Racer click on Images.
There were about fifteen shots of Carpy and his 750 which he has on ebay for $15,ooo.00.Afew mag covers he has been on and a few of him in his tee shirts and badges he also sells.

But scrolling down about half way thru BAMM I !!see my bikes from my web site as an IMAGE.BOY IVE MADE THE BIG TIME whooo hoooo!!

So Im feeling so much like a Lil "Carpy" I posted my bike War Horse on the Ebay block, put the reserve high to see what happens .

Now I need to work on my British accent and come up with a lot of witty humorous tag lines also will need to hug Chica and Jesse James and Arlen Ness ...damn means now I have to move to Cali.

Its not easy being at the bottom ,of the top ,of the barrel, of success.
Some how my tag line "fits" approprietly for this thread.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

Edited by - LILBULL on Aug 05 2007 6:23:23 PM

·
Registered
278 Posts
Now all you've got to do is build the same ugly-ass checkered bike a few dozen times and become an absurd caricature of some fictional rockabilly dickpiece from the 60s and you should be in business.

Damn, I'm a cynical fucker. Who knew?

Edited by - xander450 on Aug 05 2007 8:13:39 PM

·
Registered
85 Posts
lol...damn dude that's cold...

Banned From The Pubs..
'73 CB350(RIP)
'74 CB750K3 Cafe Thriller

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yea but its the truth. All his bikes look the same, black with checkered. I'm not trying to rain on you Bull but Carpy used to be cool a few years ago but now the money has gotten to his head and has become a dick in a few years. Hes turned into a sell out pretty much. I hang with alot of rat rod guys and cafe guys, thier all great guys, all their cars are different along with the bikes and were not rich either so we do what we can for as cheap as we can. Thier about as hard core as it gets when it comes to the rockabilly stuff, Carpy looks like a poser anymore. That man has changed

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well ....you have to find your style ,thats just his .I mean I love putting the cx500 tanks on every cb I come across.And Hey if I were in cali .I maybe smoking ceegars with Arnold(and I dont smoke),or Dance with Paris "thats Hot" .Put I understand how people can get mad at people when they change Im sure Chica and Jesse James old friends feel the same way, you do.
But when the money starts coming in, you dont want it to stop..cant blame people for that .Look at all the rappers that cry crime and poverty and they live in Beverly Hills with the garage full of 100.000 dollar cars.Ice Tea to Fiftycent.They still get richer and sing about being poor and down and out.

I play Blues guitar (because an old rocker is sad)so when I get old maybe Ill be better blues player and if someone want to sign me up .Ill still play the blues and get in my porsche parked down the street and head back to my bat cave with a grin....

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
He didn't change his style to fit fashion, his style has come into fashion, big difference. Makes me think of Green Day(that and he built Mike Dirnt a bike). Everyone accuses them of selling out, but it is my belief that they would have made the American Idiot record even if no one wanted to here it. Turns out millions of people did. Being in the right place at the right time is not selling out.

While it actually bothers me to be in agreement with pop culture, I take some solace reading old reviews that accuse the Clash of selling out with the release of London Calling. I quess selling outness is best judged in retrospect.

That and I think Carpy is truly a goofy fucker and it's not an act.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
he is goofy, but he is also a pretty nice guy. Say what you want about him "selling out" but I don't think he has really changed - he is really the same guy he was. I am not a huge fan of his bikes because now a lot of them look the same (dunstall tank, his own seat) but as far as cb750 hondas go he was one of the few people doing them when the bikes could be had for $100.

When you consider the labor in complete custom bikes, and the fact he fabricates a lot of parts in house, and is meticolous - and then you compare his prices to say a custom harley chopper which can be built out of mail order these days, his bikes are a bargan.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
You can get one of his custom bikes for less than 10 grand. Not a lot of custom Harleys going for that rate these days.

He's answered a couple of questions I emailed him, which is cool considering the email load and workload he probably has.

My CB450 project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2827

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah while I do think he's got like a "cafe racer factory" which I think is against the whole spirit of our culture, he does a great job on those bikes. I don't know about how "different" he was a couple years back but he is a real nice guy and is sincere about cafes. The dude does have a template for his builds (checkered CB750s with the same tank seat combo etc.), which is cheesy as hell and for a Brit is kinda strange as you think he'd be suping up some norton's or bsa's but whatever. I'll give the man props but I can't help but cringe when I think of all the idiots in Japan riding around on the same bike they ordered from Steve....

Banned From The Pubs..
'73 CB350(RIP)
'74 CB750K3 Cafe Thriller

·
Registered
687 Posts
you have t give him credit, it takes a lot of godamn effort to pretend you live in 1950 and how the fuck do you live with all that pomade shit in your hair i will never understand. what i really don't get and what seems contradictory to his image is that he's working on vintage jap bikes and the only thing i can see a real greaser doing with one is drag around a parking lot behind his ford pickup before setting it ablaze.

his bikes are really nicely restored if now he'd only invest a little more effort in trying to make them each more unique while maintaining a unified aesthetic.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
his earlier bikes are very unique. That tracy body one was unbelievable. and the black checkered one is his most popular but all of his earlier bikes were pretty bright colors (yellows, reds, heavy flake silvers) These are all his bikes:

you have to keep in mind though alot of the stuff he uses is old shit now that nobody makes, and eventually you are going to run out, hence the tank and seat situation (he makes those in-house so of course his later bikes are going to look similar).

I think y'all need to cut the man some slack, if it weren't for him I don't think cb750 cafe racers would be as popular as they are. And he is not a "Factory" by any means, he is literally one guy doing it.

Edited by - geeto67 on Aug 06 2007 12:48:17 PM

·
Registered
149 Posts
Never Never get mad at a man for making money at what he loves. I was following this cafe thing for years.. besides the tattoos i share nothing in common with the "ton the fuck up im a badass rockabillyripper" he is doing what he loves.

http://www.driftalliance.com

·
Registered
125 Posts
Everyone who gains a measure of popularity in their fields will be faced with the inevitable "Sell-out" accusations, whether or not it's true.

Good for him. He makes good money doing what he loves. I wish I could say the same.

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

·
Registered
278 Posts
No doubt - I'd argue he hasn't sold out, insofar as he seems to so committed to a single aesthetic that one could not possibly mistake a Carpy bike for someone else's; but rather, that the aesthetic he's committed to (and by this I mean his own and that of his bikes) is an overbaked cliche of a long-gone subculture, which would be funny if it was ONE bike, but is sad when it's twenty.

Of course, it isn't like anyone would disagree he does it WELL - he is, no doubt, an accomplished restorer.

·
Registered
687 Posts
lilbull, i was familiar with your bikes and your site long before i started posting on this site and put 2 and 2 together the same with bransons weird ass site.

as for carpy i don't know that anyone here is mad at him, and i don't think there is any question that his restorations aren't topnotch. i think whats happening is he is being critiqued for his personal style and design aesthetic. be it cheezy or not he has a great marketing schtik born of his own personal style and it is working well for him.
criticism is wsomething you have to expect from peers in the culture when you put yourself in the public eye like some sort of representative which i believe is what he does.

the pipes on that tracy bike are phenomenal, the picture you posted doesn't provide the best angle. if anyone were in the position to snatch up those old parts he is in the perfect position. right now he is making cafe's not unlike the way OCC makes choppers, dull, uninspiring and built with parts any of us could buy with the time and money at hand, there being a few exceptions.

what i am looking for is someone to start producing custom cafe's with one off parts made with real care and quality. bikes with unique personality worthy of giving a name. iv'e mentioned them before, i think zero-e along with a few others have pushed the custom chopper to an incredible level of creative sophistication. where are the guys making cafe bikes like that? probably the closest to that i've seen come from www.benjiescaferacer.com they all still look too alike but at least many of their bikes have one off tanks and they don't project such a pompous attitude.

imagine these as cafe bikes...

bratstyle

zero-engineering

check out the farkin headlight on that last one, can someone please forward a link to an ebay auction for one of those? right now most cafe bike are just like harleys fully stocked with all the after market parts you can buy from your local dealer...

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I think those last two are ero engineering and not brat style, but I could be wrong.

Why is it the japanese can take anything we can do and suddenly do it infinetly better?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
personally I wasnt Harping on Carpy at all ,I was just happy my bikes showed up on a search engien and when I typed in cb450 more of my bike shots from my site came up .Its just cool to creat stuff and see it world wide.Sort of like seeing your name in lights .sort of like playing in a band and your song comes on the radio and you hide till you see people ,grooving to it.
Like I said just was feeling a lil Carpy.
He is, after all, five years he has self, promoted himself well,I think.
My sites been up for almost 2 years I have hardly cahnged a picture lol no time .
I just was happy to punch in cafe racer and see my bikes creep up infront of my cruise.Felt good.

The thing about California is every manufacturer and every "BODY" is right there when in miles of each other in Cali.
Other parts of the contry you dont have that (BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL IN CALI)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know I sent the man an email with a question and he took the time to answer me back. Good enough for me.

*Demonic Designs*

1 - 20 of 53 Posts